Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughters softball team

Post Thanks / Like

Default My daughters softball team

Well I just got picked for the Manager for my daughters softball team. This is her last year in minors, so it should be fun. Kinda nervous but excited too. I work Saturdays but I plan to take some off to be with the team.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy the time, it passes too quickly. My youngest daughter is a freshmen in HS playing on the JV softball team this year. Ugh, how did THAT happen?!?!

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My daughters softball team

I was Manager of my daughter's comp soccer team for a couple of years - as long as the other parents are a nice bunch it can go very smoothly and be a lot of fun. I also kept up a simple web page for them as well with game info/stats. Have fun with it!
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

That's great! You can never spend too much time with them. Enjoy every minute of it.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I coached my daughters rec league softball team for 2 years and loved it so much I have been there for another 5 years. last year my girls won city championship and hoping to field a good team this year also.
    More channels then I can use.
    More light bulbs then I care count.
    [url]http://www.vimeo.com/user1106747/videos[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Know how people are always saying "Enjoy it while you can because it goes by way too quickly."? It's not only true but it's also one of the biggest understatements in life. My son will graduate HS in a couple of months and a couple of months after that he will be off to college. I was thinking about hiring the neighbor kid to follow me around and keep me company while I tinker with things, like my son used to do, but the wife says that might be creepy. Congrats on the manager job Oli and do try to savor every moment of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks for the nice comments, seem like you all have some coaching exp. any good tips on teaching pitching. I love the game so I can teach fielding/hitting but girls softball pitching is another thing and good pitching wins.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Pitching is all about technique. Look at jenny finch pitching exercises on you tube.
    More channels then I can use.
    More light bulbs then I care count.
    [url]http://www.vimeo.com/user1106747/videos[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Oli,

Have fun with this and enjoy it!
    I have a daughter that is 18 and Pitching for a college in Kansas! Nice scholarship for dad!!!
    For the 3 years she was on the varsity High School team, i was the assistant coach that worked with the Pitchers and catchers.

I also have a 12 year old that plays little league and club ball. I ended up being pulled in to being the manager of the team and so far I am having a blast.
    Taking time off work to be involved in this time of their lives is HUGE! I am so glad I put work as a second priority to spending time with my Daughter before she went off to college. It was definitely time well spent!!!

As far as pitching, you should have a local website for CLUB softball. She if you can find a pitching coach that would spend some time with your team, or if it is little league, hire them to do a clinic for the little league group and then soak up all the basics. At a young age, if they get the body mechanics down on a fast ball and can move it in or out on the plate they are doing well. Add a Change up to it and they can do a lot of damage.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the privilege to coach summer baseball for 6 years, for both of my boys. Each year a lot of the other coaches would hand-pick their teams but I just told the league that I didn't care who they gave me and that we'd have fun. And we did. Most the kids kept coming back year after year asking if they could play on coach Dave's team but the league wouldn't allow that in every case. We got parents involved, had tremendous parent attendance, great kids. We got to the final league championship game 4 out of 6 years; two of them we won.

What I remember most though were the championship games we didn't win, but not because we lost, but because of how the kids handled it. The scenario was the same for both of those games. Our last at-bat just worked out that we had 2 runners on base, 2 outs with the weakest hitter at the plate. The kids were cheering for him to get a hit to keep the team alive, but it wasn't to happen and he struck out. But what I remember was that while the other team celebrated, our kids gathered around the batter and cheered for him and carried him off the field to the awaiting ice cream treats the parent's had planned.

Kids have wome amazing capacities when treated fairly and honestly, and when they know that people matter.

I envy your chance to coach your daughter's team! What a privilege that is!
    www.diychristmas.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast