Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 741

Thread: DIGWDF Store Announcement

  1. #731
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    I bought the Gerbers and Design files for the ESP-RS485 Adapter (what an incredibly useful little board!).

    When I tried to send the gerbers to a fab house, the fab house rejected it because the board outline was not a rectangle. I was able to view the outline and it included the outline for the ESP-01 which hangs over the side.

    I have used drawing software like Visio a lot and lightweight CAD software a little. I am not a circuit designer but I was able to use a free version of (I think it was) DipTrace to remove the ESP-01. I had to drop in a replacement header component and connect traces and then find some instructions about how to configure DipTrace to output "fab house compatible" Gerbers. It worked.

    I'm so proud.
    Good job, although you shouldn't have had to do that. The GML (mechanical) layer file for that board is clearly and unequivocally rectangular. There is a silk screen marking that goes off the board but that's not what defines the board dimensions -- the mechanical layer does. The board house goofed-up.

    http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

  2. #732
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Good job, although you shouldn't have had to do that. The GML (mechanical) layer file for that board is clearly and unequivocally rectangular. There is a silk screen marking that goes off the board but that's not what defines the board dimensions -- the mechanical layer does. The board house goofed-up.
    Maybe that is what they complained about. I don't remember. Anyway, it worked out. Thank for making the designs available.

  3. #733
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

    The DIGWDF Store has moved. It's now at http://digwdf.org/store as digwdf.com has been put out to pasture...

    http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

  4. #734
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Posts
    4,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

    Poor Thing. Alas, we knew thee well !
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    The DIGWDF Store has moved. It's now at http://digwdf.org/store as digwdf.com has been put out to pasture...

  5. #735
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: This is it....

    Comcast was so thoughtful about 10 days ago when they flashed my router with a new (and possibly untested) version of firmware... all access to my server died except for the LAN side -- it worked fine internally. For one thing, one can still log into the Comcast router directly, except there are critical configuration points that are no longer available: you have to configure them WITH YOUR DANG PHONE USING AN APP!

    So I downloaded the app, logged in and still couldn't configure anything, partly because I couldn't find anything -- they've screwed things up again!!!

    After some tense (and VERY LOUD) phone conversations with them, they sent me a new router and some credit on my account, but they ignored my request to return to the good old days of being able to configure the router directly. Jerks.

    So now, after 3 more days of screwing around with their new "make it easier for customers" app -- which obviously they released before they'd done any consumer testing -- I FINALLY got it working again today. Each time I contacted their online tech support people, who always had to escalate the service ticket to the "expert" team, and they said they'd call the next morning. Those calls never happened. Neither did any texts or follow-up of any kind. Jerks. However, each time I got on a chat with a tech person (and there were quite a few chat sessions), I got a credit on my account. So I'm thinking maybe I might get my account down to zero$ if I work this right...

    In any event, DIGWDF.ORG is back on the web for any of you folks that need our assembly and user guides, need to do research on the old DIGWDF products, or want to order any of the Gerbers for one or all of our boards...

    http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

  6. #736
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Posts
    4,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: This is it....

    Ugh~!
    You can't configure it from a browser from your side of the router!? WEIRD.
    I would hate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Comcast was so thoughtful about 10 days ago when they flashed my router with a new (and possibly untested) version of firmware... all access to my server died except for the LAN side -- it worked fine internally. For one thing, one can still log into the Comcast router directly, except there are critical configuration points that are no longer available: you have to configure them WITH YOUR DANG PHONE USING AN APP!

    So I downloaded the app, logged in and still couldn't configure anything, partly because I couldn't find anything -- they've screwed things up again!!!

    After some tense (and VERY LOUD) phone conversations with them, they sent me a new router and some credit on my account, but they ignored my request to return to the good old days of being able to configure the router directly. Jerks.

    So now, after 3 more days of screwing around with their new "make it easier for customers" app -- which obviously they released before they'd done any consumer testing -- I FINALLY got it working again today. Each time I contacted their online tech support people, who always had to escalate the service ticket to the "expert" team, and they said they'd call the next morning. Those calls never happened. Neither did any texts or follow-up of any kind. Jerks. However, each time I got on a chat with a tech person (and there were quite a few chat sessions), I got a credit on my account. So I'm thinking maybe I might get my account down to zero$ if I work this right...

    In any event, DIGWDF.ORG is back on the web for any of you folks that need our assembly and user guides, need to do research on the old DIGWDF products, or want to order any of the Gerbers for one or all of our boards...

  7. #737
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: This is it....

    Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Ugh~!
    You can't configure it from a browser from your side of the router!? WEIRD.
    I would hate that.
    Yeah. It's ugly. You can still log into the browser and make some changes, but some of the all-important ones such as port forwarding? Nope. Gotta do that with either the phone or logged into xfinity on a desktop. And on a desktop, some of the screens are so poorly designed you can only see 2 of the 3 digits of an octet of an IP address.

    And then there's a thing called "advanced security." They have replaced Norton (or MacAfee) with their own version of protection, and the setting to change it isn't anywhere near the Internet settings. What it essentially does is block everything both in and out that's not port 80, and it even hammers some of that. The configuration setting is enabled by default and to disable it, you have to dig deep into the general settings area of a different part of xfinity's account configuration. Your choice is either ON or OFF, nothing in-between. And if it's ON, you're pretty much guaranteed that access to anything on the LAN from the outside is not going to happen.

    So, with that in mind, Merry Christmas from Xfinity/Comcast, where we're always full of surprises, and other things....

    http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

  8. #738
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: This is it....

    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Yeah. It's ugly. You can still log into the browser and make some changes, but some of the all-important ones such as port forwarding? Nope.
    Buy your own modem/router. I bought a Netgear for my GF and you only needed to verify with a Comcast website.

    It your modem/router and they don't update the firmware, its your responsibility.

    She has 200MB download and it's 200MB on internet speed tests. Upload is around 60-80MB.

    I have Spectrum and switching was a total PITA. I had to have a Tech come out and another Tech had to directly modify the server.

    No more slow speed and dropped connections anymore. Also saved $20 a month, renting those limited routers.



    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    [I]A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.[/I]

    <a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//<br />
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //<br />
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;"><br /><img src="http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/128/All.gif" border="0" alt="" /></div><a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//<br />
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //<br />
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;"><br /><b>Chat link</b> - <a href="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php" target="_blank">http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php</a>
    <b>Christmas Wiki link</b> - <a href="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php" target="_blank">http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php</a>
    <b>File Library link</b> - <a href="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/index.php" target="_blank">http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/index.php</a>
    <b>Who's in chat?</b> - <a href="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/info.php" target="_blank">http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/info.php</a>
    </div>

  9. #739
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: This is it....

    I was going to recommend this as well. Xfinity kept jerking around the modem/router software enough (making it difficult to get in/out with Blue Iris) that I finally bought my own modem and router. They're not expensive at all; I think they pay for themselves in less than a year once you stop lining their pockets with the modem rental fee.

  10. #740
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

    I absolutely agree that your own gear is the best way to go.

    However, for us, our landline phone and security system are tied into the mix as well as cable TV and gigabit Internet, so it gets a little more complicated. We're what they call "a heavy XFinity customer" and if we run into a really bad situation where something is absolutely down, because it's all their equipment and not our's, they send out a tech person usually in the matter of a couple hours; the gear gets fixed or replaced immediately. When we call for help and they pull up our record and see that we've been heavy-use customers since 1981, they go, "OH, I've got your account right here. We'll have someone come out right away!" And they do.

    I'm willing to pay for that sort of "insurance." But in the case of the web servers that I run here, they will go only as far as their equipment and making sure it works as prescribed -- they won't touch any configuration issues with the servers. And that's fine with me.

    Just FYI, XFinity has implemented a thing called "advanced security." From what I can tell, it has no variability in the settings -- it's either enabled or disabled. When it's enabled, nothing else seems to work, not port forwarding, port triggering, not DMZ, nothing. The default setting is "enabled" and you can absolutely tear your hair out trying to connect from the WAN to the LAN. All the settings can look just right but it won't work. Worse, to turn it off, the setting is buried deep in the general configuration area of your account, not in the Internet configuration area.

    http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •