Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: DIGWDF Store Announcement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIGWDF Store Announcement

Got my Rev-7 boards, the BOM and 2 Xbees......time to dive in!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, sportsfans... the production DIGWDF675 controller bare board...

I'll have a finished model here for you later on.... along with the ASM firmware...

EDIT#1: Here's a completed board next to a DirkCheapSSR for size comparison.

The firmware is also included in this post: 12F675.ASM and an assembled 12F675.HEX

EDIT#2: Also added the construction/operation manual.

Note that at the present time, the firmware does not provide dimming capability, but dimming is part of the future plan for the 675. We wanted to get the basic blinky-flashy done first... We think PWM is a possibility, which might work okay for LEDs but there isn't a way to get a ZC signal to the PIC chip on the board, so if PWM doesn't work... cest la vie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 08-01-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added photo, asm, hex files
    http://digwdf.com

Post Thanks / Like

So the intent of this is a simple 4-channel controller that just runs when powered up? If you want it to do anything besides just turning all of the channels on, you have to modify the assembly code?

I can see this as a simple 4-channel sequencer that manipulates a four function wireframe. It could be powered by a controller output or wall-wart in a standalone application.

That’s a pretty cool idea Dirk!
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    So the intent of this is a simple 4-channel controller that just runs when powered up? If you want it to do anything besides just turning all of the channels on, you have to modify the assembly code?

I can see this as a simple 4-channel sequencer that manipulates a four function wireframe. It could be powered by a controller output or wall-wart in a standalone application.

Thatís a pretty cool idea Dirk!
    You nailed it, Ernie! That's all it does -- apply power and it runs the sequence flashed into it, whatever that is. The default I put in the ASM turns on all four channels in sequence and leaves them on until power is disconnected. Obviously, the default code has an endless loop at the end of the program section, but it's simple enough to change and the code is pretty-well documented.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a set of eight DIGWDF 675's and DirkCheapSSRs, ready for integration into some 3-foot tall, 4-channel firesticks...

BION, we actually use some of the crap our engineeers invent!

Post Thanks / Like

And here's a short 12-second test of the prototype firestick (on the floor, of course)... using a wireless MiniRen8XBLSD to activate the DIGWDF 675, which runs its sequence and fires the DirkCheapSSR which turns on the lights....

These are short firesticks -- only 40" tall with a ball topper... the sequence it's running is the default 675 firmware -- channels 1-2-3-4 and then it holds all four channels on as long as the 675 is powered.

The 675 must be powered at 100% for the 675 to function properly... at less than 100% it won't fire properly since the power it's getting from the LSD controller isn't constant when the LSD is dimmed.

http://www.digwdf.com/dirknerkle/video/675_test.wmv
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 06-22-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Before the DIGWDF engineers knew about my new baby granddaughter and were sidetracked with a new project, they were working on a new controller concept for Renard, called the "Renard BUS." They figured, "Hey, the DMX guys have a system whereby each controller is addressable nomatter where it is in the chain, why not have something like that for the Renard folks?" For our engineering staff, it was a pretty lucid comment, since only 3 of them can talk at all. So they made this...

Here are a couple photos of the completed prototypes and a little 10-second video of these prototype DIGWDF 8-channel RenBUS controllers in action, set up for some LEDs as a proof of concept test. They all have the same address and are line-powered so naturally, you'd expect all three of them to behave the same, and they do. Using the internal oscillator, DC build and PWM, a lot of circuitry is bypassed and the bus cable is only 3 wires: +5v, Gnd and Data. The PICs are individually addressable using Phil's excellent start_address firmware. These controller boards are only 1.5" x 1.75" in size -- pretty compact. Cooler yet is that these are being driven directly by RS485 with no serial input section -- just the +v and gnd connection of the RS485 signal while the main power is from a 2A, 5vdc wall wart... The downside (so far) is that it's running at 38400, N, 8, 1 because of that pesky internal oscillator... Parts are simple and cheap: a PIC16F688, a DIP socket for the PIC, a .1uf cap, 3 terminal blocks, eight 330-ohm resistors, a 5.1v zener diode to moderate the data input voltage to the PIC and a double row of header pins (female headers in these prototypes so the LEDs could be plugged-in).

The engineers aren't sure what they'll do with this project just yet, but I'm sure they'll come up with something.

VIDEO: http://digwdf.com/dirknerkle/video/r...first_test.wmv
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 06-22-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added photo, comments

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk, I know new mom isnít ready to release Granddaughter 1.0 too much just yet, so you still have a bit of free time.

In the mean time, figure out how to encode a low data rate Renard protocol on to your current LEDís throughout your display without visibly affecting the current look. Donít tell me that it canít be done; Iíve already done half the work in figuring out what it should do.

This would merge favorably with the new DIGWDF controller.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    In the mean time, figure out how to encode a low data rate Renard protocol on to your current LED’s throughout your display without visibly affecting the current look. Don’t tell me that it can’t be done; I’ve already done half the work in figuring out what it should do.
    Ernie, are you Clairvoyant? Do you even know Clair?!?!?

There are three reasons why the DIGWDF engineers are working on this. Well, four... the last is that we give them an extra scoop of food in their trays when they come up with something new.... but the first three are (1) to create a less-expensive wireless solution that can handle higher speeds, (2) infrastructure compatibility with DMX and (3) to be able to remotely change a controller's parameters.

What thoughts did you have in mind?

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast