Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more off-site group buys? How unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No more off-site group buys? How unfortunate.

Excellent! Thanks for the clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfischer View Post
    I'm curious how this will effect future group buys such as the E860/861. I would have not have heard of this buy if it were not for this forum. I'm happy to become a supporting member to take advantage of these, but it sounds like, since this is being conducted offsite, I'll never see them announced here again, and thus potentially miss this sort of thing in the future.

Am I understanding this correctly? Again, I'm not complaining (I'm mostly a lurker here and don't want to stir up trouble). Just making sure I understand.

-Tim
    Hi Tim, You could never stir up trouble here. Your questions are always welcome and sometimes bring a different point of view. Group Buys have a different definition now so there can not be off-site group buys by definition. Group buys will be onsite for supporting members. Offsite will be vendor forum area (not group buy forum area) and have different rules. So now you'll have to lurk in more than one area of the forums. Or at least that's what I've gotten out of this so far. The point being Group Buys save people lots of money. And to help pay for the large bandwidth of hosting this site it was decided that the people getting the biggest benefit in dollars from this site (group buys) would have to become a supporting member to help pay for this site. It's unfair that one person should shoulder the burden of paying for this site. If I have gotten any of this wrong someone (Brian) please chime in with a correction.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone here worries too much.

I have ever done anything that has turned out to be detrimental? Well, maybe you should not answer that.

Listen everyone, these changes are not to eliminate GBs or push people away or halt participation in anything. This is simply an action to secure the future.

I would not do anything to negatively impact the site, in the overall scheme of things.

I know, some of you would be quick to point out the new SM requirement but I urge you to really think about what it accomplishes in the overall view of things.

Now, about the "Off Site" stuff. We have a Vendor's Arena that was not used much in the past but I assure you it will be used more in the future. Anyone selling something off the site is a Vendor and thus, the Vendors Arena is open to them for posting. There may be some requirements to get a Vendor account but nothing crazy. Also, did you guys ever notice the Notices and Announcements I put out? They are in the pick bar that shows up under the Nav Bar on the pages inside the forums. It has things like the site going down for maintenance and such. You never know, if I am contacted about something that is a great value to the members and for some reason can not be done as a GB then there may be an Announcement or Notice about it.

If everyone is so concerned about what is going to happen in future GBs and such then you should be just as concerned if not more about the future of DIYC itself and how we can make sure there is a future.

I keep hearing about the SM requirement being a bad thing but what is worse, to pay 20 bucks or not have DIYC at all?

I am not sure how else to calm everyone down. I know there is always going to be a bit of apprehension when there is change but I am not going to do anything to hurt the site. I take a personal interest in everything that happens here, DIYC is my baby and I will nurture it forever.

And remember, I am always open to suggestions. If you think you have a good idea that can help DIYC let me know about it. I do not know everything. We have a lot of people with lots of experience in different areas who know more than me. Send me a PM, I am willing to entertain and discuss any reasonable ideas.

Most of the members here that have been around for a while know me. I am methodical about things. I do not make snap judgements on things. I take time and think things through. If I thought something would be bad for DIYC I would not do it.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

2013 stats, if all goes as planned:
    2688 pixels, 4 E68x, 1450 RGB leds, 90 DMX channels

edit: Things are not going as planned

Post Thanks / Like

Brian is so hip he has difficulty seeing over his own pelvis.

(apologies to Mr. Beeblebrox for the paraphrasing)
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, so the definitions have changed. That makes more sense. I was still operating under the old definitions of "group buys" since wlcventures and diyledexpress called still called their most recent buy "group buys." It does make sense to have those stores reclassified as vendors. From just reading the list of rules, this change was not apparent so I misinterpreted the meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    Now, about the "Off Site" stuff. We have a Vendor's Arena that was not used much in the past but I assure you it will be used more in the future. Anyone selling something off the site is a Vendor and thus, the Vendors Arena is open to them for posting.
    Ok, this makes a world of difference! Now I have no concerns, or possibly running an off site buy... as shopping cart software I own and run would make organization much easier! Thanks for the clarification Brian!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12