Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie starting to wonder about Vixen 3.0, bad idea?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie starting to wonder about Vixen 3.0, bad idea?

Yea, so I'm one of the newbies asking silly questions.

I'm just getting my boards put together and began sequencing in Vixen 3.0. What an amazing program, love it! My only concern is am I setting myself up for problems this year? I've had no problems with the program but as I realize there isn't a way to schedule a show as of yet it occurs to me this really isn't the released end user software, it's for testing if I understand correctly. I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful, but the question in the back of my mind is what if I spend all this time sequencing songs in 3.0 and what if for some reason the "final" product doesn't get released this year? I would be in a world of hurt!

I don't understand the "final" release process. Am I somewhat safe to assume it will be released this year? Or should I move to 2.1? As I said I really like 3.0 and finally have a great understanding of how to use it but I need to be able to make a show scedule at some point don't I or am I missing something?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie starting to wonder about Vixen 3.0, bad idea?

Just a word of wisdom here,, I would consider setting up all your sequences and show stuff on a stable version of Vixen like 2.1.x.x and continue exploring Vixen 3 since is in the beta stage of development. It is better to be safe and use the stable version for your final show, there is still work in progress on Vixen 3 at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I second that. I am currently still sequencing in 2.1 and playing with 3.0. I hope to have both sets of sequences ready to go so I'll have 2.1 to fall back on if needed. But then I do still have last years sequences to go to in a crunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I know we're in beta right now, but we've got about 8 months before this has to be working correctly (or able to export a sequence to a stable version). From what I read, sequencing in 3.0 is a lot more user-friendly and faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcdannej View Post
    Really? I know we're in beta right now, but we've got about 8 months before this has to be working correctly (or able to export a sequence to a stable version). From what I read, sequencing in 3.0 is a lot more user-friendly and faster.
    I agree, but would definitely figure on a timeline that will work for you to be able to fall back to 2.1 just in case. Call it a GO/NO GO date. That's going to be different for everyone. I decided I'm shooting for 3.0. If it doesn't work by Nov 1. I will scramble to get a new song or two added as well as update my old ones with new display items.

While I really don't feel like the product is even Beta, it far enough along that I don't see if floundering
    Not looking good to get my 6th Seasonal Display up, but I'm trying!

www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    I agree, but would definitely figure on a timeline that will work for you to be able to fall back to 2.1 just in case. Call it a GO/NO GO date. That's going to be different for everyone. I decided I'm shooting for 3.0. If it doesn't work by Nov 1. I will scramble to get a new song or two added as well as update my old ones with new display items.

While I really don't feel like the product is even Beta, it far enough along that I don't see if floundering
    I think that makes good sense. I also agree 3.0 seems to be working well. It took me a little time, but the light in my head (pun intended) finally came on and I get it. As a newbie, I'm just trying to tackle purchasing and assembling hardware, figuring out how to connect it all together so it works and then learn how to sequence. I just dont want to add an additional "learn how to sequence" in there. My head may explode! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcdannej View Post
    In your dreams.
    I see about 4 months tops to work out the bugs and put the new sequences together for my July4 show.

And I have not even downloaded the new beta code yet.

Ahh the thrill of being on the bleeding edge where you get to discover and solve all the problems so no one else has to.

I was there for Renard.
    I was there for LEDancer.
    I have been there for parts of Vixen 2.

I have complete confidence in the development team that if I can document how to reproduce an issue, they will squash it in short order.

One more, back into the meat grinder.

Joel
    If I no longer count channels... but instead say I have over 12 universes... Is that too many

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your right on the timeline. As a newbie I just can't see me learning two different versions and then programming sequences in two different versions. I was reading about LightShowPro on another thread here in the forum and was actually starting to consider using that for this year and go with Vixen 3.? for next year. Looks like it can have some problems with Renard boards though as well as having other issues from what I read.

What to do, what to do...

Is that smoke coming out from my ears? Oh, no, it's just smoke from soldering SSR's.
    Last edited by Javo; 02-08-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Javo View Post
    I hope your right on the timeline. As a newbie I just can't see me learning two different versions and then programming sequences in two different versions. I was reading about LightShowPro on another thread here in the forum and was actually starting to consider using that for this year and go with Vixen 3.? for next year. Looks like it can have some problems with Renard boards though as well as having other issues from what I read.

What to do, what to do...

Is that smoke coming out from my ears? Oh, no, it's just smoke from soldering SSR's.
    If configured properly there are absolutely no problems with Renard boards in LSP that I am aware of. Can someone explain what the issue with Renards in LSP is?
    I have used them for 3 years in LSP without an issue.
    Last edited by mmulvenna; 02-10-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks
    Mike

[url=http://www.lightshowpro.com][img]http://www.lightshowpro.com/images/sigs/LSP_320.jpg[/img][/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmulvenna View Post
    If configured properly there are absolutely no problems with Renard boards in LSP that I am aware of. Can someone explain what the issue with Renards in LSP is?
    I have used them for 3 years in LSP without an issue.
    Let me clear, I do not have nor have I tried LSP (yet). I was only asking a question based on comments in the thread - LSP2 is Released. I'm not putting LSP down or saying it's bad by no means! I've been to their site and looked around, it looks like it has some great features. I'm still so new at this my opinion wouldn't be worth anything anyways. Not trying to start the "Holy War" mentioned in that thread. Maybe I was wrong, I was under the impression the problem was with Renard boards. Maybe some of the guys were experiencing other issues. As a newbie you don't learn if you don't ask.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast