Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Mouser buys it products direct from the manufacturers. No telling where 2nd party/eBay products may have come from or whether they actually are new. Digi bought Maxstream more than 2 years ago and all XBees now say "Digi" on the top. When one says "Maxstream" it's at least 2 years old. It may be "new" in the sense of unused, but it's not "new" in terms of the product itself. An XBee is a conglomerate of a lot of things under its hood and one of them is the PLU. The current firmware that you need to use is 10E6 or later; it's possible that earlier Maxstream units may not reflash with 10E6. Another telltale sign is the little white flex antenna: it hasn't been used since Maxstream made the first models.

That's what I meant about "the real deal."
    I got my two MaxStream modules today and downloaded XCTU. I already had a USB carrier (SparkFun) from my Helix days. XCTU found it OK and reported it as an XB24 with version 106 FW (matches underside of board as well which says XB24-AWI-001). I clicked on "Show Defaults" (after selecting XB24) and then saved with firmware upgrade and it appears to be working OK with the latest code version 10ED. Now - I should rephrase that - I don't know that it actually works as it's supposed to as I only have the one side running but it powers up and appears to keep settings so this may just work after all. Now I need to build up one of Dave's boards to find out if they really really work...
    Last edited by budude; 02-04-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine also- I just need Dave's site to allow me to order- it thinks it can't deliver to Placerville. Huh, the people mailing bills and the post office certianly do not know that...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Recieved my five today. They all responded to the X-CTU software and were upgradeable to the 10ED firmware. So hopefull all I need are two XBee Pros with rp-sma connectors from Mouser. One as the transmitter and the second unit for my roof and I will be set for 2012.

Oh.. the final cost with shipping was $11.66 per unit.
    2013 - 2nd. Year - over 40,000 lights - 428 Channels Renard - 300 Channels E1.31 - adding 8 Tir Floods and 4 Animated Faces.
    2012 -First year, over 35,000 lights and 410 Total Channels of Blinky Flashy - 275 Channels Renard and 135 Channels of E1.31. All wireless.
    Randy: www.xenialights.com or Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the chatter so far I got five of these as well. I can finally populate my boards now. I wont have to creatively snake cat5 all over creation to get signal to a controller 30 feet away to avoid laying cable across the sidewalk.
    Last edited by Mudsculpter; 02-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    If you are not a supporting member please consider Becoming an Active Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
    Price dropped to $11.12 + $2.45 ship in us AFTER I bought... grrr...
    Yeah, I noticed, but now there is a make offer button! Even more tempting.
    I've noticed that some like to use the non pro models as receivers. Do they have a decent range/sensitivity? I only have a pair of Series 2 PROs
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
    Renard 64XC5. 18 Custom SSRez. 2 Spare. 2 Ren-W (SMA and Rev6).
    2011- 6 leaping arches and 1 15ft spiral mega tree down by the highway.
    2012- DCSSRs, RenSS24, more XBEEs[/FONT][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

In theory, the non-Pro version has a less sensative receiver, and the little wip antenna is NOT the most optimal. However, with a Series 1 Pro as the transmitter, and you other Pro at the furthest element, these lower cost ones will likely work well closer to the transmitter (YMMV).
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

So, has anyone made an offer yet? And if so, how low did you go and was it accepted???

-joni-
    2013 Plans: Convert to pixels!
    http://amistosolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjchu View Post
    So, has anyone made an offer yet? And if so, how low did you go and was it accepted???
    -joni-
    I offered $7.55 each for ten, they countered $9 each and I took it.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I tried much lower than that to see what would happen and they came back with the same $9. After some back and forth just now (apparently their business hours match ours) they came down to $8.25 for 7 so I took it. Wonder if anyone will get them any lower and how many more they have?

Now to order more Rev6 boards from Dirk!

Oh, and if you haven't bought them yet, the XBee headers can be had for a good price here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230731457475

Thanks,

-joni-

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I offered $7.55 each for ten, they countered $9 each and I took it.

Brian
    2013 Plans: Convert to pixels!
    http://amistosolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want to "share the wealth" on Xbee connectors? I could really use 2 (but 6 would be ideal), just not 40. PM me if so. THX.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast