Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

This:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBEE-XB24-AW...item35b8d7d160

appears to be a series 1 low power Xbee that would work as a receiver. A PRO module is better, but quite a bit more $. I looked up the "XB24-AWI-001" number and it is the number on the Series 1 tranceiver listed at Mouser for the S1 (and Mouser uses that as the part number on their site).

It is $12.35 + $2.45 shipping = $14.80 out of Oklahoma.

I am no way associated with the seller other than I just ordered one.

Kirk

(edit) The markings on the picture on the Ebay posting indicate these were manufactured BEFORE the company sold to a new owner over 2 years ago. In theory, this should not matter, but there is a chance these may be obsolete per Dirknerkle (see later posts).
    Last edited by CaptKirk; 02-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Looks to be an excellent deal.
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

so how well will these work on a large front yard....1 acre wide about 100 ft to my display...i am using Several SS series controllers.
    LANCE

Find me on Facebook atCHRISTMAS ON PLANTATION

Post Thanks / Like

It says they have 452 units, so that will probably supply the DIYC community well. I think I will now populate the 4 Rev6 PCBs that I have collecting dust! Who knows ... I may order a few more PCBs when Dave gets more in!! LOL!
    [IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/320/All.gif[/IMG]

Taking a Hiatus, but still in lurking status ... ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I have many of the lower-powered ones, but they are all in receive mode. I also use them with an XBPro as my transmitter. What's more, the transmitter has a 9db gain external antenna mounted on the XBPro and it's outside in direct view of all of the other controllers. The XBPro with that sort of antenna configuration is roughly equivalent to 1/2 watt of transmitting power.

I think one reason why all of the lower-powered XBees work as well as they do is because the transmitter is so darned strong and is located in the most ideal place for my layout. If I wanted to put a display across the street, I would not bet the farm on the lower-powered one because its receiver is not as sensitive as the Pro model, either.

That's a pretty good price for that little radio; with shipping it comes in around $15. I believe you can get the real deal from Mouser for only $4 more.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm - I got some boards from Dave earlier but haven't ordered the Xbee's yet (it will be used to drive my LEDTriks) - - perhaps it's time! Thanks for the link!
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess I'm not the only one who found that XBEE deal on eBay.
    Pretty tempting.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
    Renard 64XC5. 18 Custom SSRez. 2 Spare. 2 Ren-W (SMA and Rev6).
    2011- 6 leaping arches and 1 15ft spiral mega tree down by the highway.
    2012- DCSSRs, RenSS24, more XBEEs[/FONT][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I was also looking @ eBay for the XBee, could you tell me the difference between XBee 1, XBee 2 & the XBee Pro, will they work as receivers & transmitters?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-NEW-Di...item23181f8102

I also found this on the XBee 1 & 2, but not on the XBee Pro
    http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kb...ltdetl?id=2213

http://www.digi.com/pdf/chart_xbee_rf_features.pdf

Thanks
    Last edited by markoz74; 02-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Marcos D. Valega

============================================

2008-2010: Static 1,750 Inca & LEDs
    2011: Found DIYC - 1 Mega Tree w/DVDs Star - 2,500 LEDs & became a Supporting Member

2012: 5,400 LEDs and Counting - Mega Tree, 3 Leaping Arches with Poles, 1 RenSS24 & 5 RenSS16 with XBee Snap-In Kits
    2013: 10,000 LEDs - Mega Tree, 3 Leaping Arches with Poles, 1 RenSS24 & 6 RenSS16 with XBee Snap-In Kits

Post Thanks / Like

Marcos,

Dirknerkle is you best source of information on the XBee's but basically stay away from the Series 2 units. They are designed to work as a mesh network and must talk to each other and acknowledge receipt of data packets. The series 1 are designed to simply broacast serial data and can be set up with a no ack parameter for this. Generally at a minimum you want an XBee Pro (series1) for your transmitter and in my case I am getting the Pro with the rp-sma antenna mount so tha I can hook a 7dbi 2.4GHz Wireless WIFI Antenna on it to boost tranmission power. My yard is only 80 x 35 so I am contemplating gettin the lower powered XBees as recievers. I have enough of the wifi antennas that I can put one on each XBee so it is worth the extra $4 to get the rp-sma mount. I am also going to use a pair of usb to cat5 dongles to run cat5 from my PC outside and set my transmitter in my yard. Mouser right now seems to have the best retail prices but that can change. Unfortunatly I learned this after I bought 4 of the series 2 Xbees, but in time to cancell the series2 Xbee Pro i had on order. Hope this helps.
    2013 - 2nd. Year - over 40,000 lights - 428 Channels Renard - 300 Channels E1.31 - adding 8 Tir Floods and 4 Animated Faces.
    2012 -First year, over 35,000 lights and 410 Total Channels of Blinky Flashy - 275 Channels Renard and 135 Channels of E1.31. All wireless.
    Randy: www.xenialights.com or Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I should get:

1 XBee Pro with SMA as a Transmitter http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...aPI%2feSSmQ%3d

Will the SMA antenna be http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...2f49%2fQ%3d%3d ????

2 XBee Pro with 1" Antenna as Receivers http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...%2btEgLU9Xs%3d

I have already bought 3 Ren-Wv6 but I have seing on Mr. Dirknerkle's new web site this gizmo for my SS16 & SS24, this I think will be better & cheaper than building the Ren-Wv6 http://www.diychristmas.org/store/pr...?id_product=12
    Last edited by markoz74; 02-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Marcos D. Valega

============================================

2008-2010: Static 1,750 Inca & LEDs
    2011: Found DIYC - 1 Mega Tree w/DVDs Star - 2,500 LEDs & became a Supporting Member

2012: 5,400 LEDs and Counting - Mega Tree, 3 Leaping Arches with Poles, 1 RenSS24 & 5 RenSS16 with XBee Snap-In Kits
    2013: 10,000 LEDs - Mega Tree, 3 Leaping Arches with Poles, 1 RenSS24 & 6 RenSS16 with XBee Snap-In Kits

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast