Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

This:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBEE-XB24-AW...item35b8d7d160

appears to be a series 1 low power Xbee that would work as a receiver. A PRO module is better, but quite a bit more $. I looked up the "XB24-AWI-001" number and it is the number on the Series 1 tranceiver listed at Mouser for the S1 (and Mouser uses that as the part number on their site).

It is $12.35 + $2.45 shipping = $14.80 out of Oklahoma.

I am no way associated with the seller other than I just ordered one.

Kirk

(edit) The markings on the picture on the Ebay posting indicate these were manufactured BEFORE the company sold to a new owner over 2 years ago. In theory, this should not matter, but there is a chance these may be obsolete per Dirknerkle (see later posts).
    Last edited by CaptKirk; 02-02-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great deal on Xbee Series 1 (I think) U.S. Only

Looks to be an excellent deal.
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

so how well will these work on a large front yard....1 acre wide about 100 ft to my display...i am using Several SS series controllers.
    LANCE

Find me on Facebook atCHRISTMAS ON PLANTATION

Post Thanks / Like

It says they have 452 units, so that will probably supply the DIYC community well. I think I will now populate the 4 Rev6 PCBs that I have collecting dust! Who knows ... I may order a few more PCBs when Dave gets more in!! LOL!
    [IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/320/All.gif[/IMG]

Taking a Hiatus, but still in lurking status ... ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECOP252 View Post
    so how well will these work on a large front yard....1 acre wide about 100 ft to my display...i am using Several SS series controllers.
    Somewhere in the Ren-W wiki its mentioned that the range of an XBee Pro is about 200 feet. I've experimentally confirmed this value with a transmitter / receiver set of Pros because I wanted to be sure my Ren-W transmitter could reach an interested neighbor's yard.

Dirk's post #13 in this thread brings up an important point. The higher the price of a given electronic component, the more likely it is that there are under-performing or even nonfunctional counterfeits out there. It is safer to go to reputable vendors who purchase directly from the OEMs / suppliers.
    Last edited by raplass; 02-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have many of the lower-powered ones, but they are all in receive mode. I also use them with an XBPro as my transmitter. What's more, the transmitter has a 9db gain external antenna mounted on the XBPro and it's outside in direct view of all of the other controllers. The XBPro with that sort of antenna configuration is roughly equivalent to 1/2 watt of transmitting power.

I think one reason why all of the lower-powered XBees work as well as they do is because the transmitter is so darned strong and is located in the most ideal place for my layout. If I wanted to put a display across the street, I would not bet the farm on the lower-powered one because its receiver is not as sensitive as the Pro model, either.

That's a pretty good price for that little radio; with shipping it comes in around $15. I believe you can get the real deal from Mouser for only $4 more.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Ygiagam.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Ygiagam.
    Gesundheit.
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my 7 arrived today (paid $8.25/ea plus the $2 and change shipping) and I was eventually able to get all 7 of the working. I tested them as transmitters using Vixen to a Ren48LSD that I still have powered on in the garage wired to RGBW SuperStrips under my roof eves. I got some pretty choppy fades and had to hold them up in the air at times but I'm chalking this up to the fact that we know these guys make pretty bad transmitters. I'll be using them ultimately as receivers with one of my XBee Pros with a 9db antenna on it so I'm not too worried - I just wanted to see if they worked period and it seems as though the do.

Now, some details...

I couldn't get XCTU to talk to these things at all at first. After a little Googling I found these http://todigi.blogspot.com/2010/05/x...rom-grave.html steps online, followed them and was able to revive and firmware flash all 7 of these radios to version 10E6 and do my testing. For those of you with XBee Explorer boards, like me, that do not have a reset button as referenced in these instructions, taking a small piece of wire and momentarily shorting RST to GND on the back of the Explorer board will do the trick - note though, that I only had to do this for 2 of the 7 XBees, the other 5 started their firmware downloads and programming on their own a second or two after seating them into the Explorer board.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone,

-joni-
    2013 Plans: Convert to pixels!
    http://amistosolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my 2 XBEEs today and they work great. It just took a little dancing around with the baud rate and parity after a firmware update to smoothen things out. Anybody know if there is a newer version of the firmware that I should be using? I know that 10E6 is listed in the wiki and that's what I upgraded it to, but there are several other versions listed.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
    Renard 64XC5. 18 Custom SSRez. 2 Spare. 2 Ren-W (SMA and Rev6).
    2011- 6 leaping arches and 1 15ft spiral mega tree down by the highway.
    2012- DCSSRs, RenSS24, more XBEEs[/FONT][/FONT]

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast