Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Sequencer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My New Sequencer

This looks like an incredibly interesting tool.

I think one of my major stumbleblocks is the sequencing, and anything that can make that easier would be way cool!

So keep up the good work and if possible, add support for exporting to other sequencing tools

/Stefan
    Blinky Blinky Lights! Suffering from C.L.A.P. (and not afraid to admit it)
    [url]http://www.blinkylights.se[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by djulien
    Yes. Sounds very interesting! I've been tinkering with some hard-coded effects, and wanted to hook them up with some frequency-based triggering so CFxRbjFilters might be helpful. Is that licensed or public domain? I found some discussions about using it, but no pointer back to the original source so I wasn't sure how restricted it was.
    Sorry - I gave you my class name.

There is tons of non-licensed code available on DSP filtering.

Here is one example of a link.
    http://www.musicdsp.org/archive.php?classid=3

The type of filter I'm using is referred to as RBJ. I believe it's someone's initials. This is not the site I acquired it at - but as an example.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do for Preview - very crude but allows somewhat of a detailed view of the display.

I capture starting and ending line points and use "LineTo" instead of bit pixels.

This is just a sample of a House, Mega-Tree, arch, mini-tree and Actual tree with lights.

I've seen Holdman's preview display - you get a good idea of what his display/sequence will look like.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JHinkle; 01-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHinkle View Post
    So - for my tool - audio is a critical part - always displayed to aid in constructing the sequence.
    I also like to sequence the lights and specific props directly to the music, rather than just running general effects in a loop while the music is playing. But, that is more work so the filtering approach will be very helpful.

There is tons of non-licensed code available on DSP filtering.
    Thanks for clarifying! I assumed you were using a packaged library, but I like the idea of custom editing a filter function better. That fits nicely with some other stuff I was working on.

EDIT: Attachment 13096 seems to be broken - I can't display it. Can you check it?

don
    Last edited by djulien; 01-30-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: link broken?
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djulien View Post
    EDIT: Attachment 13096 seems to be broken - I can't display it. Can you check it?
    Fixed it - see my previous post - 2 up.

I made several uploads yesterday - don't know if the site has a limit - but it would not accept my upload file so I tried an alternate approach. I could see it - but I guess I was the only one.

The attachment is a sample of a drawing on my preview - line segments - not bits in a bit map.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Question:

Why would someone copy a channel? That is duplicate a complete channel into another channel.

I have the ability to copy blocks of effects and paste them in other channels - but I can't think of a single reason why a channel copy would be used. No two channels should be the same - so why copy?

Please let me know when you would use a channel copy.

Thanks.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I quite often want the exact same sequencing on similar elements. While in the "effects" driven world it may be different, I copy complete channel data just about every sequence I make. I might copy a channel that is one color on one display element and a different color on another element.

There are a number of ways to do this in the Vixen editor.

If every Channel was completely different in everyone one of my sequences, I think that would look nasty and very Chaotic. So I would argue that indeed there "should" be channel that are exactly the same"

Question:

Why would someone copy a channel? That is duplicate a complete channel into another channel.

I have the ability to copy blocks of effects and paste them in other channels - but I can't think of a single reason why a channel copy would be used. No two channels should be the same - so why copy?

Please let me know when you would use a channel copy.

Thanks.

Joe
    Last edited by kychristmas; 01-31-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    So I would argue that indeed there "should" be channel that are exactly the same"
    Don't take me wrong - I was asking - not stating.

I have not done a sequence yet - trying to think of all aspects of the tool before I start. Changing data structures and/or some capabilities mid-stream can cause the whole sequence to be thrown away.

After your comment - and a bit of brain pain - is this an example of when?

I have three channels driving a mini tree. I want another mini three driven exactly the same way. I could just wire them together or make them unique in the sequence so I would want to copy the three channels from one to the other.

Once I lock this aspect of the tool down - I will actually start to use it to build my first sequence for 2012.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I also use channel copy when I do specific 'chase' or 'spin' effects that at one part of a sequence I might want a perimeter set of lights 'spinning', then later I would want the left side of the yard to spin clockwise, with the right side of the yard to spin counterclockwise (copy, then mirror option, either left-right or up-down) to accomplish this.
    2009-10 - Vixen+relays (8 ch no dim)
    2011 - Vixen + Ren24SS
    2012 - Vixen + 2*Ren24SS

Post Thanks / Like

Of the mirroring functions in Vixen - which do you use the most - mirror Vertical or mirror Horizontal?

When you sequence a song - how many times (approx) you would use mirror Vertical and how many times Horizontal?

Thanks

Joe

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast