Thread: New Helix V3 Main Board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Helix V3 Main Board

I am interested in 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welchb View Post
    I am interested in 2.
    I see that as 14, maybe 15. I'll up mine to 3, to be sure we bring it to 15. I'd really like to see this happen!

I also am curious about the support for E1.31 and the E681 for pixels. I don't know ANYthing about the E1.31, but I'm assuming DMX, and I know the Helix now supports DMX. Whether it will handle the E1.31 or not, I'm sure Greg can answer...

WhoooHooooo! That would bring my possible channel count, to 1152. That means I could make one icycle, with led's spaced 1" apart, 96 foot long!

R
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy 2 if it gets us over the hump. I really want the trigger functionality.

Post Thanks / Like

Two (2) for me please!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Confirmed, I'll buy one (1) as well!
    Questions about the world: Read the bible [I]and [/I]pray (or vise versa). :D -Bilateral!
    Questions about Blinky-flashy: [U]READ[/U] the Wiki and forum [B]first[/B]!,...[I]then[/I] ask!-Unilateral!

Post Thanks / Like

Put me down for two (2) boards as well. About time I upgraded my V1 system.
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51fordf2 View Post
    I see that as 14, maybe 15. I'll up mine to 3, to be sure we bring it to 15. I'd really like to see this happen!

I also am curious about the support for E1.31 and the E681 for pixels. I don't know ANYthing about the E1.31, but I'm assuming DMX, and I know the Helix now supports DMX. Whether it will handle the E1.31 or not, I'm sure Greg can answer...

WhoooHooooo! That would bring my possible channel count, to 1152. That means I could make one icycle, with led's spaced 1" apart, 96 foot long!

R
    At the moment, it can't.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-and-the-Helix
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mikentn;193984]At the moment, it can't.

Thanks, Mike - I hadn't followed that thread. I doesn't matter to me - I put the display up primarily for me, and the 100 or so people that see my show. To steal a phrase, "there ain't no place, like this place, anywhere near this place, so this must be the place.". If I lived in a larger town, or even closer to a larger town, I would contemplate upgrading my display. Or if I were 30 again, with 30+ years of displays ahead of me. But, in my neck of the woods, just putting up a mega tree, will be a serious addition to my show. I can hardly believe what is out there, and what some people do, and certainly enjoy seeing it all. Just not the time/effort/cost for myself. I'm just not that "cutting-edge"...

Perhaps Greg can pipe in here, and give us some idea if it's something that he's going to put any emphasis on or not, and a "reasonable" idea of it's feasibility or eventuality of happening. Not sure how many it will be a "deal-breaker" for, but I'm sure one or two.

One thing to keep in mind - in MY eyes, the boards are relatively inexpensive. The BOM is what adds most of the cost. I don't see this as being a "stocked" board, although I think Greg has some of the V.2 boards left (could be wrong), so it might not hurt to buy an extra board, if you think you might "go bigger" in a year or two, and are going to use just the Helix. Just my observations.

R
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    Will this board support E1.31 and the E681 for pixels?

Brian
    As Mike pointed out above this isn't possible with this board. I've looked into controlling RJ's Smart Strings via his Pixelnet protocol and think it can be done with a Helix Main Board but it will require custom firmware. I would make sure the board would still work within a Helix network but it would be dedicated to only controlling Smart Strings. So essentially it would be a special purpose Network Node. The biggest obstacle is my lack of the Smart Strings to use during development and test. The other obstacle is time. I've still got a lot I want to do with the current firmware, i.e. LEDTriks and microRDS.

As I alluded to in the original post there isn't much more I can do with the current architecture to add additional capability. From what I've been able to learn about the E1.31 protocol, I don't think I can shoe horn that capability into the design. Another thing I want to start exploring is some special purpose boards that would work within a Helix Network. I don't want to show my entire hand at this time but a E1.31 capable board is on the list. Once I get the V3 main board to a point that I'm comfortable with the stability/functionality/capability balance I want to start developing these other boards. I don't know if it will be this year or not, again it comes down to R&D money and time. Both of which are in short supply right now.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like there is sufficent interest to produce the V3 Main Board. I will open a Group Buy thread later today or tomorrow. After checking my personal and work schedule I may have to push the delivery date out until the 1st or 2nd week of March. After I receive the boards I want to build one up and put it through its paces before I send them all out. This will allow me to confirm the design as well as the BOM. I will also be able to provide an assembly manual with it.

I plan to limit this first order to a total of 30 boards. This will help me minimize my risk. While I have great confidence in the design and PCB layout and I've breadboarded all of the new circuit elements there is always a possibility for an error. I will assume all of that risk in that if there is a problem I will correct it and place another order at my expense.

I appreciate the existing Helix users that are expanding their systems. I'm humbled by your faith in me and my design.

For those of you that are new to the Helix I want to make sure you understand that the Helix Main Board doesn't have integrated SSRs. You will need to purchase Helix Daughter Boards and the 4ch SSR boards or the Helix SSR Daughter boards in order to use the system. An alternative is you can use the Renard series of boards or any DMX512A compliant SSR boards also. If you have any questions about this please let me know. I want to make sure you are fully prepared and happy with your purchase.

As I've done with the current V2 boards I plan to "stock" the V3 board so you don't have to worry about the current 30 board limit. As I said I plan to purchase 5 boards, 1 for testing and 4 for future sales. If those 4 sell I will order more to have on hand. The prices for the benchstock boards will probably be a little higher since I won't buy a large quantity but they should be within a couple of dollars.

As always if anyone has any questions or concerns please let me know.
    Greg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast