Thread: Hands Free SSR tester

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hands Free SSR tester

I have been using a SSR tester that Roger (51Ford2) designed and it has served me well. I strongly suggest that anyone how runs a display with external SSRs to have an SSR tester to help trouble shoot any problems they might have with their controller SSRs and related cables.

While maintaining my display this past season I found that I was in need of a SSR tester that did not require holding a momentary contact switch to keep a certain channel on. I have several light strings that are connected directly to my SSRs so if a light string burned out and I needed to test it with my Light keeper pro. I had to find a helper to hold the tact switch on so the lights would stay on. So I came up with this SSR tester as a solution.

This hands free tester has the momentary switches and a DIP switch that you can turn on any of the four channels and leave it on to make it easier to troubleshoot your light strings. It is the same circuit that Roger designed except that I added the DIP switch in parallel with the tact switches so you can use either set of switches to make things easier for what you are doing at the time. I also added a GND to pin 7 of the RJ45 connector this was added to make the power LED on your SSR light up when it is plugged in to the tester.

I have attached the required files in Eagle format for home etching. As with all of the things I design, anyone who wishes is welcome to use these files as they are or further modify them to fit your needs

Tyler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Blinky Flashy on a budget since 2009
    2009: 32 channels of Grench
    2010: 80 channels of home etched Ren-16 Simple and Home etched SSRneons.
    [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/user2720474/videos"]My videos [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hands Free SSR tester

Quote Originally Posted by tstraub View Post
    I have been using a SSR tester that Roger (51Ford2) designed and it has served me well.
    Tyler
    Thanks for the kudos, Tyler, but they aren't deserved. The original concept and layout was by Dirknerkle, with modifications done by Ukewarrior, from Dirk's original. I think the mods were to make use of the switches that Ukewarrior had on hand, but it's been a while. I just etched the boards, and posted about it. I can't take the credit for the tester's themselves. And now, Tyler has taken it one step further!

Roger
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. I guess technically, mine is hands free as well, as I can set each channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQL-nMberM

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats kewl...
    2007-2010 Used a dumb blinky machine.
    2011 - overwhelmed with CLAP and did not make it in time for blinky flashy.
    2012 - First full show. 130+ channels using 5@Ren24SS, 2@Ren8SS, 1@Ren16SS, 1@Ren48LSD, and 17k lights
    2013 - 2@E681.5 for GECE roofline, 48 Channel megatree & above RenSS's for 34k+ lights.

2014 - planned 704+ pixel GECE megatree conversion using 2 E682's, Ws2811 pixels, dumb RGB's with Ren24DC, & more LEDS with above items.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty handy tool ya got there, seems like it would make life a lot easier when working on ext. SSR's