Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMX, Renard, sACN Tester

Post Thanks / Like

Default DMX, Renard, sACN Tester

What about a DMX/Renard/sACN (or whatever else) tester? I've been situations where I would rather use a handheld controller instead of booting my laptop or I just want to isolate a problem, this could fill both problems.

I will try to keep things through hole, but I will likely include the SMT USB parts for those that don't want to buy a prop-plug. Initially I will focus on DMX and sACN support since those are easily testable for me and then widen the data type options to Renard or others.

This tester will have an LCD with key switches for menu navigation (sorry no touch screen). In a perfect world it would both receive and transmit each of the protocols. I also plan to implement some diagnostics information for each protocol (IE byte space time, MAB time, etc).

Since this will be my first battery powered project any advice or design ideas are welcomed.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DMX, Renard, sACN Tester

Subscribed!
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

In my ever so humble opinion.. select your enclosure now. Design the board to match your enclosure.
    I've got far too many "half done" projects because I could never get them finished enough to release.
    (Plenty of nice boxes, including batter compartments, at mouser and digikey)
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    In my ever so humble opinion.. select your enclosure now. Design the board to match your enclosure.
    I've got far too many "half done" projects because I could never get them finished enough to release.
    (Plenty of nice boxes, including batter compartments, at mouser and digikey)
    I was thinking about something like this, pelican makes a similar version that costs more. If that seems too big I will continue to look for cases.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds interesting.

A feature I'd like to see, if it's early enough to get requests in?

DMX start address setting, the type where you output a 0-255 level to set the controller address.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    DMX start address setting, the type where you output a 0-255 level to set the controller address.
    The challenge is there are a number of ways to do this, none of which follow the standard. Can someone collect all the methods and list them here so I can think about how to implement them?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh you're thinking much more industrial than I was.

I was envisioning something in a case more like one of the HAMMOND ENCLOSURES.

I've made a few false starts on this myself. I've got a basic design around a 16F688 (because I know we tend to have them lying around),
    but never made it to the stage of having the board(s) made. Again.. I failed to design to the enclosure, so the design has sat idle for months now.

Looking forward to watching this thread.
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Ahh you're thinking much more industrial than I was.

I was envisioning something in a case more like one of the HAMMOND ENCLOSURES.
    I think its because I really like that case but maybe I should pick an alternative case that is more accessible via digikey or mouser. Thanks for the suggestion I will continue to look into cases before I get too deep and regret it. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    The challenge is there are a number of ways to do this, none of which follow the standard. Can someone collect all the methods and list them here so I can think about how to implement them?
    These are the ones I found when settling on the Sum method.

Start Address (Sum)
    Start Address = Ch1 + Ch2

Start Address (Units)
    Start Address = Ch1*100 + Ch2*10 +Ch3

Start Address (Modified Sum)
    0 to 255
    Start Address = Ch1 : Ch2=0
    256 to 512
    Start Address = Ch1 +256 : Ch2=1
    [B][I]Matt[/I][/B]

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]here[/URL]

I record my Blinky Flashy travels here: [URL="http://MyNoelLights.com"]MyNoelLights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    These are the ones I found when settling on the Sum method.

Start Address (Sum)
    Start Address = Ch1 + Ch2

Start Address (Units)
    Start Address = Ch1*100 + Ch2*10 +Ch3

Start Address (Modified Sum)
    0 to 255
    Start Address = Ch1 : Ch2=0
    256 to 512
    Start Address = Ch1 +256 : Ch2=1
    How do the devices know that what is being sent is an address and not real data? Start code > 0x00?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast