Thread: More advanced Skull plugin's are they needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More advanced Skull plugin's are they needed.

I've been tossing around the thought of whether a more advanced Skull Outplug plugin and App are needed/will be used. What I've been thinking is it would be neat to have it so that you could create your own 3d object and use it in the same manner as the skull plugin. For example, if you have 3 axis carolers you could create a 3d caroler(which would involve programming) and load that instead of seeing the skull.

At this moment I'm not sure if I could actually pull it off and I'm not sure it would even be used if I could.

So, Is this something that there is interest in? For now I would start with making this for Vixen 2.x but in the future it could become available for 3.0.

Also, if it is something you could use, what basic features would you need? For example, would you need it to control more that 4 channels max as the current one is?

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More advanced Skull plugin's are they needed.

Sorry it took so long to respond to your post, I must have missed it initially and came across it while searching for one of your earlier posts.

If I am correct in my assumption that you are proposing a way for the user to create their own "skin" for the display portion, the idea is intriguing. As for additional channels, two-axis eye movement would be useful. At some point I intend to add some arm and hand movement but there are so many different ways to do the animation I'm not sure you could include it in your display.

After I had stability problems with my jury rigged Ren24lv controller and my dismal failures at home etching your design, Halloween sort of came and went and I had to switch focus to Christmas. I'm going to be switching back to my skulls now and I am looking forward to see what new things you're coming up with. In the past I've used your Skull output plugin to display two or three skull's actions simultaneously with good success.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure it would be nice to have this feature and it should be doable. This person made a program that uses skulls and skeletons called Virtual Haunt at http://www.monkeybasic.com/. I even have the program for the virtual haunt but my computer is quite old and does not meet the system requirements to run it. I am hoping to use your techniques/addins myself to run my skulls/skeletons as I want the flexibility to use Vixen and my boards to run my haunt. I hate having different programs and computers to run various things as my skeletons currently use VSA (older version) and those programs from Monkeybasic for fine tuning of the skulls. This is my skeletons band I did for 2011. First time attemting servo and stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KINZOOB0TI

Post Thanks / Like

"I want to steal your heart - and eat your brains" - that is awesome!!! Great job on your "band"! Your Chewbacca (or whatever it is) is a nice touch. What are the songs used here - they are very good.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good scubaspookf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    "I want to steal your heart - and eat your brains" - that is awesome!!! Great job on your "band"! Your Chewbacca (or whatever it is) is a nice touch. What are the songs used here - they are very good.
    I think that particular song is called Zombie Love Song. I had a total of 9 songs that they played with various skeleltons being the lead vocalist. The video was shot before I made last minute improvements like putting better lighting on the band. Werewolf on guitar, the mummy on drums and frankenstein on guitar. This was my center piece this year and a pumpkin lightshow using vixen was the center piece the year before. I always try and switch stuff up every year. Really want to tryout ctmal plugins for the skulls in vixen as it I want one thing to run it all.
    Last edited by scubaspookf; 01-25-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maffeirw View Post
    Sorry it took so long to respond to your post, I must have missed it initially and came across it while searching for one of your earlier posts.

If I am correct in my assumption that you are proposing a way for the user to create their own "skin" for the display portion, the idea is intriguing. As for additional channels, two-axis eye movement would be useful. At some point I intend to add some arm and hand movement but there are so many different ways to do the animation I'm not sure you could include it in your display.

After I had stability problems with my jury rigged Ren24lv controller and my dismal failures at home etching your design, Halloween sort of came and went and I had to switch focus to Christmas. I'm going to be switching back to my skulls now and I am looking forward to see what new things you're coming up with. In the past I've used your Skull output plugin to display two or three skull's actions simultaneously with good success.
    Have you look at this?

If you're having issues with the etching you can buy a premade board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmal View Post
    Have you look at this?

If you're having issues with the etching you can buy a premade board.
    I tried to home etch your SSSRR but never got it working. I'm currently waiting for a few DMX Servo controllers from a DLA coop (hopefull they will be in soon) and once built I'll be getting back into skull and maybe full body animation. Chris, by the way, did you ever get that twisty skull made? I've been thinking about getting one to keep the other 4 company and I would value your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did make a couple of different versions of the skull but all them...well...(refraining from saying something inappropriate), stunk.
    I ended up going back to the origional design by HalloweenBob on HalloweenForums. I'd still like to get a better setup but I'm not sure I'm even going to use a skull this year(but I still plan on playing with it).