Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a new hook head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a new hook head

I got the 24 hook head from 3g Lighting creations. Very nicely made and it comes powder coated. It is a lot better quality then the other one mentioned. The welds are all clean.

http://store.3glightingcreations.com...k-head-topper/
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's to the James family I made a megatree topper like is these pictures.

http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/...d=23&Itemid=36

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

My megatree pole is PVC, and I approached it a different way. I made a collar that slipped over the pole and would sit in three large hooks that were mounted through the pole. I drilled 24 holes around the collar and used zip ties to attach each string to the collar.

DSCI0359.jpg
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Count on dirk for having to do it "his way"!
    Mark
    On the move from Kernersville to Lexington, NC. Just getting moved in so small static display this year

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad idea actually. I might use that for the mega pole I want to build. I want to use a pulley setup but the zip ties in drilled holes would ensure that the lights stay in place when stringing them up and during hoisting.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the PVC "foot" based one I built
    mega_topper.jpg
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Green string is the guy wire?
    How tall did you go?
    You used coat hangers? no bending with the weight of the strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buymyemu View Post
    How tall did you go?
    Looks like nylon "jet line" used for pulling cable through conduit. Pretty sturdy stuff (avg. breaking strength 300 pounds). I have a mile of it in a bucket in my office.

Longfellow said that in this world a man must be either anvil or hammer.
    But some are neither, they are merely bellows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WireWrap View Post
    Looks like nylon "jet line" used for pulling cable through conduit. Pretty sturdy stuff (avg. breaking strength 300 pounds). I have a mile of it in a bucket in my office.
    Even if that is not it, that's a good idea. Only problem is. My "jet line" is hot pink or flouro blue. The great is great. Even if my Megatree stays the same, I definitely need to add String support. Either Paracord or this. Lots of strained wires after adding Spirals this year.
    Not looking good to get my 6th Seasonal Display up, but I'm trying!

www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buymyemu View Post
    How tall did you go?
    I took the picture with the string holder/topper down at eye level (it slides up and down the center pole on a rope and pulley).

The green (and blue and yellow) string is the poly twine I used to reinforce the light strings themselves- I just felt the strings might hold up better to snow or branches falling if they were beefed up a bit and took the stress of hanging better with a little help. The pole guy wires are three 3/8 cables attached at the TOP of the 22' pole (stuck 2' in the ground slid in another pipe in concrete) going to three trees around the mega area (I can CLIMB the pole or set a ladder against it to climb - it does NOT move!). Oh, there are also four runs of twine that go down to the 40' 3/4" PVC pipe that I hang from the topper (not the hooks) to form the base circle that is about 3' up off the ground. The light strings I use are 100 LED 10M (33') that I run up and back down next to itself so each string sort of acts like two but end up being about 16.5' long sides of the mega tree.

Short lengths of coat hangers are amazingly ridgid and I have not had any bending. I could leave them hang straight down but it is easier to hook the strings when the are bent out a bit. I do not think these would bend much with heavier strings, but it is perfect for my lighter weight strings.

Here is a picture I took last night- the strings get a little untidy running the light hanger up and down to take pictures and I did not take time to tune them up like I do for the show:
    mega.jpg

The best thing I like about this topper is that it was basically free thanks to the bad luck of my relative. :-D
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12