Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new hook head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new hook head

I need a new hook head for my tree and wanted some advice on what is the best way to go about this.

Background: I use the JUMP pole method. Previously I had a bun foot with 16 hooks for the topper. Flanges on top and bottom to connect it to my pole and to the 3d star from Christmaslightshow.com. This year I had 32 strands (16 Green / 16 Red). When I lowered my pole the other day I had a lot of trouble taking it off the pole being it was finally so cold. Working on that I noticed that the bun foot was starting to come apart,very tiny seperation but long in three places. Probably the bun foot glue breaking down and it splitting there (it looked like it). The bun foot had at least three coats of paint and as many coats of sealer on it. Next year I plan on adding my 3rd color to the tree (white) which will get me to 48 strands. So more weight. Not counting the 30 strobes I want to add in there too. So with it splitting I don't want to risk using it again.

I thought about this for a new head but I don't know if I could modify it to screw into the top of my pole easily enough. Plus mount the star.

Are there better options? I'd like to have something that will last. That and not risk it splitting on me either.

When I built the topper before one guy in the hardware store suggested using a drain grate. Since they are round. I could probably put hooks in one of those and sandwich it between two flanges to keep it together and put it in the pole. Anyway that's what I'm thinking about now but wanted to ask what others have done.

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a new hook head

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I need a new hook head for my tree and wanted some advice on what is the best way to go about this.

Background: I use the JUMP pole method. Previously I had a bun foot with 16 hooks for the topper. Flanges on top and bottom to connect it to my pole and to the 3d star from Christmaslightshow.com. This year I had 32 strands (16 Green / 16 Red). When I lowered my pole the other day I had a lot of trouble taking it off the pole being it was finally so cold. Working on that I noticed that the bun foot was starting to come apart,very tiny seperation but long in three places. Probably the bun foot glue breaking down and it splitting there (it looked like it). The bun foot had at least three coats of paint and as many coats of sealer on it. Next year I plan on adding my 3rd color to the tree (white) which will get me to 48 strands. So more weight. Not counting the 30 strobes I want to add in there too. So with it splitting I don't want to risk using it again.

I thought about this for a new head but I don't know if I could modify it to screw into the top of my pole easily enough. Plus mount the star.

Are there better options? I'd like to have something that will last. That and not risk it splitting on me either.

When I built the topper before one guy in the hardware store suggested using a drain grate. Since they are round. I could probably put hooks in one of those and sandwich it between two flanges to keep it together and put it in the pole. Anyway that's what I'm thinking about now but wanted to ask what others have done.

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

Jason,

I too need a new head and I like many of the aspects of the one you posted. HOWEVER, my Tree is 34' and the pole changes size so their will not work for me. I also like smaller and more numerous hooks. The offset design of this head along with the additional pully/guy wire head is the only way to go. So I guess I am going to be the engineer I am and design and make my own. Oh, and the price of that head is a good deal given all the welding and metal work required.

Just my $0.02 which with inflation with get you nothing these days.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of more hooks. I was just going with 16 and leaving it at that. I'll have to think about that in my design. I bet that makes the top look a lot nicer than having them all converge on each other at the top. I do like the open design of the hook head I posted. Less surface for the wind to catch on. I started to worry about that this year.

Would a cast iron drain cover be too much weight up there?

My pole is about 16-17' - I loose some for it being held in the ground by a sleeve and it being telescopic.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason,
    I used the one you linked to and loved it. It was very easy to use a hoist to pull up 48 strings of lights using their pulley head.

If you want one to screw onto a pole look at this one.

Jack
    2012 Second Animated Christmas
    http://vimeo.com/33886466
    http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...

Post Thanks / Like

Jason,

Here's another hook head from the same site that you originally linked to. It's his standard hook head, and not the one that slides up and down the pole.
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post

Thanks for any advice.

Jason
    You could use the CLS hook head by just purchasing the pulley top as well. Instead of pulling it up via pulley, just lock the hook head to the pulley head permanently. The pulley head has pipe thread to attach to your pole, and a place to attach your star. That way you can still do the JUMP thing.

I have an old CLS 10 ft. PVC megatree that is starting to show it's age. So I plan to replace it with some type of pipe pole, and purchased a CLS hook head from another DIYC member.
    Mark
    Kernersville, NC
    On the move to another location sometime soon. Probably no display this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikentn View Post
    Jason,

Here's another hook head from the same site that you originally linked to. It's his standard hook head, and not the one that slides up and down the pole.
    I have this very one on my JUMP pole. Just finished year 2 and it has been working just fine for me.
    ======================================
    [url]www.litesonsipes.com[/url]
    48 Channels of Light-O-Rama
    12,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

My topper took a different path. I have a single 22' 1" galvinized water pipe scavanged from a well pump dealer I know as my center pole. It gets put into a 2' 1 1/4" PVC pipe sunk into the ground (in concrete). The two mate perfectly. I then took a "foot" from the frame of one of those canvas garage/shelter structures (a relative lost one in a storm) that I had laying about in my garage, drilled 32 holes in it and took 16 10" sections of coat hangers, bent in half and put down through pairs of holes then bent into hooks. With a bit of 1 1/4" PVC glued into the foot section, it slides up and down my pole from a pulley very nicely.

pfoot2.jpg

Just a cheapo alternative to spending $25 bucks plus...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikentn View Post
    Jason,

Quote Originally Posted by belias21 View Post
    I have this very one on my JUMP pole. Just finished year 2 and it has been working just fine for me.
    I have one as well for when I plan to migrate to a JUMP pole. Just haven't got there yet!
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I saw a topper on that site before but I couldn't find it this morning. Plus it's good to know about the other site so thanks!

The JUMP pole is great. My hardest part was getting the right pipe - just go to an eletrical supply company - skip the home depots. I use a modified version where instead of the standard base I use one I put in the ground for my extendable flag pole. That worked out well and has held for 2 years now. I've thought about guy wires just for extra safety and even purchased them but I haven't used them yet.

I will say this. First year taking it down I said to myself I need to do the drill attachment on the jack to raise/lower it. Second year I said the same thing putting it up and down. This year I hope I won't forget. It's not hard but it would save even more time.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast