Thread: Calling all electricians!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling all electricians!

This morning i stop by Home Depot to see what was left in the Christmas stuff (basically nothing) so i went to the electrical isles to have a look around and i found something new. 12-2-2 W/G WTF is that for?? I worked as an appertains electrician back when i was in high school and have run run lots of conduit, romex, etc and never heard of 12-2-2 W/G. The guy there had no idea what you did with it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Calling all electricians!

It's so you can pull a single cable for two arc-fault circuts as there are no arc-fault devices yet. You can also use it for two GFCI circuits. It has two hots, two neutrals, and a ground.

/mike

Post Thanks / Like

Had to look up what an "arc-fault" circuit was... Wasn't familiar with the term at all.

But I know I had this kind of issue a few years back when a poor connection in the ceiling light/fan box started arcing. Luckily I heard it enough while doing some other work that I was able to catch it before it got too hot and started a fire.
    Mark
    On the move from Kernersville to Lexington, NC. Just getting moved in so small static display this year

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought was "why don't they call it 12/4". I assume it's because the wires are somehow paired, with both neutrals obviously being white.
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the[SIZE="3"] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="orange"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]X[/color][COLOR="lime"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]L[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="lime"]R[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]O[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]J[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="cyan"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]T[/COLOR]
    [url]www.sandevices.com[/url][/SIZE] <-email jim at

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently HD calls this stuff 12/2/2, with slashes instead of dashes. Link

My first search though was using the 12-2-2 W/G that was posted. OMG look at that price! Is this stuff real or did I find some "hole-in-the-wall" part of their site. Link
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    My first search though was using the 12-2-2 W/G that was posted. OMG look at that price! Is this stuff real or did I find some "hole-in-the-wall" part of their site. Link
    Yeah but that price includes shipping so you got that going for you...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

12/4 would be red/black/blue/white/bare while 12/2_2 is red/white_w_red_stripe/black/white/bare
    For Arc faults and GFCIs, you need to keep the neutral paired with the hot
    /mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    Apparently HD calls this stuff 12/2/2, with slashes instead of dashes. Link

That pricing is for a half pallet of this product. But who can afford that?

The 12/2/2 NM cable can be used for two separate branch circuits, GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) or AFCI (arc-fault circuit interrupter) using two single pole circuit breakers. Sharing the neutral wire in a 12/3 NM cable created tripping issues with the breakers. Now with manufacturers supplying 2 pole circuit breakers in the AFCI version, electricians can use the cheaper 12/3 for multiwire branch circuits.

The 12/2/2 can be used for creative wiring in dwellings for dead end three ways with a constant hot and neutral in a single cable assembly. But it is just way too expensive to use.