Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.0 Enttec Open DMX Output Module

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.0 Enttec Open DMX Output Module

Quote Originally Posted by piense View Post
    I took a look at the code and updated the plugin for the changes to the Vixen architecture. The plugin now loads and seems to function but I don't have the hardware so I can't do any real testing. I also tried to address the stuttering that people were reporting with higher channel counts. Attached is the DLL, let me know how things go.
    Sweet! Thanks for that -- I'll see if I can get it in in the next few days and get it building. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sallz0r View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for that -- I'll see if I can get it in in the next few days and get it building. :-)
    Attached is the code for it. The only functional change I made is that the module now reports the correct update period for a full universe of DMX, ~40Hz. I'm pretty sure that the USB->Serial buffer was overflowing and causing the flickering. Hopefully it works for people.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this. I will try it out in the next day or two and let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've put that code in, and cleaned it up (changed namespaces, etc.) and it seems to build and looks OK -- I haven't tested anything yet though, since I don't have DMX hardware!

Nevertheless, it'll be in the next release for people to play with and tell us if it works, etc.

(on a side note, I see we already had a "DmxUsbPro" module, and now I just added the "OpenDMX" module from chilloutdoc and piense above. Anyone know what the difference is? Are they both for DMX? Or are they different somehow, and we need both?)

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

(on a side note, I see we already had a "DmxUsbPro" module, and now I just added the "OpenDMX" module from chilloutdoc and piense above. Anyone know what the difference is? Are they both for DMX? Or are they different somehow, and we need both?)
    An OpenDMX device is a USB->RS485 converter (usually FTDI) and provides no buffering or flow control; it depends upon the host computer's operating system to provide those functions (and since that's Windows for most people, the response of OpenDMX is subject to the whims of Windows). Fast-paced shows that are developed in the 50ms range probably shouldn't be run on OpenDMX (YMMV).

An Enttec Pro (or clone -- there are two clones out there) is a USB converter (always FTDI) that has a microprocessor and electrical isolation included in the RS485 output. The uC provides buffering and flow control, allowing fast-paced shows to operate regardless of the whims of the operating system. The Pro (or clone) also has the extra-added safety feature of electrical isolation, so in case a power surge hits the 485 network, the computer isn't fried.

HTH.

\dmc
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmcole View Post
    An OpenDMX device is a USB->RS485 converter (usually FTDI) and provides no buffering or flow control; it depends upon the host computer's operating system to provide those functions (and since that's Windows for most people, the response of OpenDMX is subject to the whims of Windows). Fast-paced shows that are developed in the 50ms range probably shouldn't be run on OpenDMX (YMMV).

An Enttec Pro (or clone -- there are two clones out there) is a USB converter (always FTDI) that has a microprocessor and electrical isolation included in the RS485 output. The uC provides buffering and flow control, allowing fast-paced shows to operate regardless of the whims of the operating system. The Pro (or clone) also has the extra-added safety feature of electrical isolation, so in case a power surge hits the 485 network, the computer isn't fried.
    Aah, fantastic, thanks for that info! That makes sense.

You mention clones of the Entec Pro -- is that what a DMXUsbPro is? Or, are there any other names for the clones that are common/popular that people use and refer to?

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

You mention clones of the Entec Pro -- is that what a DMXUsbPro is? Or, are there any other names for the clones that are common/popular that people use and refer to?
    The two Enttec Pro clones are RPM's "USB to DMX Adaptor" (http://shop.martinxmas.com/product.php?id_product=41) and RJ's "Lynx DMX Dongle" (http://diylightanimation.com/index.p...e;sa=view;id=1).

It appears that Enttec re-branded its device; yes, it is now known as the "DMX USB PRO."

\dmc

PS: It probably should be noted that there are two features the clones do not provide that the Enttec device does: the Enttec will respond to a query regarding a serial number and the Enttec supports Remote Device Management (RDM). The RPM device is hardware-ready to provide a serial number or RDM, but the software was never completed.
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmcole View Post
    The two Enttec Pro clones are RPM's "USB to DMX Adaptor" (http://shop.martinxmas.com/product.php?id_product=41) and RJ's "Lynx DMX Dongle" (http://diylightanimation.com/index.p...e;sa=view;id=1).

It appears that Enttec re-branded its device; yes, it is now known as the "DMX USB PRO."

\dmc

PS: It probably should be noted that there are two features the clones do not provide that the Enttec device does: the Enttec will respond to a query regarding a serial number and the Enttec supports Remote Device Management (RDM). The RPM device is hardware-ready to provide a serial number or RDM, but the software was never completed.
    Sweet, thanks for that info! that's really handy. Now just to find someone with a DmxUsbPro to clean up the module for us.... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to trying the Open DMX Output Module for Vixen 3 tonight.

I had been previously running my sequence using a Lynx DMX dongle and it was working quite well.

I switched over to the Open DMX Output Module and I got good lighting up to about 200 DMX channels. All channels after about 200 were flashing the wrong colors most of the time. I think the DMX data was lagging.

So the output module works, but the number of working channels is probably related to how good of a computer you are going to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Give this version of the DLL a try and let me know if it works any better. I tweaked the code a bit to hopefully give it some better performance, but I don't have the device so I can't test it out myself.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by piense; 11-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast