Thread: Mega Tree with a DVD/CD Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mega Tree with a DVD/CD Star

Hello I'm new @ this, but this year I made a Mega Tree (10 ft) with a Star made of DVD & CDs

There are 11 5" CDs & 15 3" DVDs, I put a string of 50 LED C5 Multi on the Star, it blends with the MegaTree, so next year I'll change the lights to White LEDs and raise the PVC 5" or 6" from the tree

The Mega Tree is made of 6 Strings of 100 LED CD Multi that I bought last year @
    Lowe's (where I work) they had a box that had like 20 options (twinkling, chasing, steady on, etc)

DSC03251a.jpg DSC03543a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega Tree with a DVD/CD Star

That star looks great...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, It took me 2 days to buld it, well one day to figure it out how to do it and another day making it :-)

The back side of the star, where the DVD & CDs are attached, is 5 5-gallon paint mixing sticks made of wood from Lowe's, I spray paint them Gloss Black, then made the holes on the sticks and run the Multi lights thru the holes, then attach the Star to a PVC pipe and then to the top of the Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Very clever idea to use the CD/DVD media as multi-color reflectors! Looks very nice!

Merry Christmas!
    dirknerkle

The DIGWDF Store is the place to go for wireless stuff for Renard... controllers, adapters... or other junk that
    nobody else would probably ever make. It's all in stock right now at http://diychristmas.org/store

Post Thanks / Like

Neat idea. How do you attach the DVDs to the paint sticks? Glue? Other? Have you had to deal with much wind? How did it stand up to it?

Wonder how it would work to make a "sphere" of DVDs and use the lights like you did. Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

I attach the DVDs to the paint stick by making 2 small holes (1/8") on the plastic part next to the big hole, then with # 6 screws, washers & nuts I attach them to the stick. I made a hole on the stick the same size as the hole on the DVD and I run the lights thru it, this year I used multi LEDs for the Star but they blended with the Mega Tree, so next year (this year) I'll change the lights for White LEDs, hope this will make the star show up better.

Attachment 12846

I did not had to deal with too much wind but all the DVDs survived this season.

It will be a neat idea to make a sphere :-) I've seeing Christmas Trees made out of CDs.