Thread: Metro Indy lighting contest winner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metro Indy lighting contest winner

The largest TV station in Indianapolis had a lighting contest this year where people submit photos onto the station's Facebook page. They've been highlighting one display a night for the last several weeks on the news. Ours was mentioned briefly about a week and a half ago. Well, on Tuesday, we got a call saying that we won and here's the video that aired on Friday.

http://www.wthr.com/video?clipId=6579235

I was afraid I'd come across as the village idiot, but it didn't turn out too bad.

It aired on Friday, and we had well over 1,000 cars come out that night. The wife, kids, and I were directing traffic, and helping cars squeeze through, and everyone we talked to seemed to take it in stride. A neighbor said we had a 500' line of cars outside our subdivision at times. Last night was busy, but not enough to necessitate us directing traffic.

This is our third year with blinky-flashy, and we absolutely love it, but we'll be glad when it's over, so we can rest a bit! Although I'm going to jump right in with my plans for next year.

Still working on video. Recorded from one angle a few nights ago, and will record from another tonight. With all the rain, and some random failures, it seems like each night where the weather is good, I have issues to fix.

One last note...I added a mini sequence of Linus' Meaning of Christmas (Luke 2) from Charlie Brown Christmas. All i did was light our nativity scene and Bethlehem star. Took all of 5 minutes to sequence, and we ran it for the first time Friday. That's been the thing people mention to me the most.
    Tom
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/christmasonvictory"]Facebook - Christmas on Victory Celebration of Lights[/URL]
    2009 - 328 channels, 48,500 lights
    2010 - 448 channels, 61,100 lights
    2011 - 480 channels, 68,000 lights
    2012 - 480 channels, 68,000 lights <---- same as 2011

5 x Ren-SS8 --- 12 x Ren-SS16 --- 4 x Ren-SS24 --- 5 x Ren-24
    3 x Ren-24LV --- 4 x Ren-48LSD --- 2 x Ren-64XC --- 1 x Helix
    50 x SSR (mix of oz and ez and soon to be neon)

Yes, I have excess capacity!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Metro Indy lighting contest winner

Merry Christmas, Tom! And congratulations, too!!! The display looks terrific and you're a rightful winner!!!

Now take 5 minutes off and get working on 2012!!!

-dave
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! You did fine in the interview btw!
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the award!

I have a similar Linus sequence, and even though simple, it has been well received.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the award and the great display!

I'm fearful that I'd look like Ralph Kramden during an interview like that.... "homina, homina, homina...."
    i can quit this addictive hobby anytime after the next project