Thread: Securing My banner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Securing My banner

I am thinking on using the pvc frame, what I am wondering is

A. should I take the bottom of the PVC straight to the ground and sliding the PVC over some rebar.
    That just seem like a big sail to me not sure if would stay down. We do get some nasty winds here.

B. At the bottom use a 2 way 90 and and make a T then put sand bags or some thing over them.

This is a tomorrow build so just curious how those did it, I have the Shindigz banner 24" x 72"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Securing My banner

I borrowed the pvc frame idea from someone else, but it's worked very well for 3 years now -- I just order different banners as I need them.

I drive a couple vertical pieces of rebar into the ground, slip the ends over them and pin the bottom horizontal to the ground with tent stakes. I use short bungee cords to attach the banner to the frame, and zip-tie a lighted candy cane to each end. It's withstood 40-50mph winds up here in Minnesnowda...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Dirk. I like the bungee cord tie downs. Great use of candy canes...I have so many left over from prior years.

Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

shindigz just shipped my banner, I bookmarked this page. I have a few sandbags laying around, so I might drop one across the bottom rail.

If I tent Stake it, might it be frozen in the ground come January?

Post Thanks / Like

I used the PVC banner idea but instead of rebar I used wooden 5/8" dowel. Then used a small wood screw through the PVC into the dowel from behind. The wind is very bad here and the sign would be in a field next door if I do not secure it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buymyemu View Post
    shindigz just shipped my banner, I bookmarked this page. I have a few sandbags laying around, so I might drop one across the bottom rail.

If I tent Stake it, might it be frozen in the ground come January?
    Yes, but if you use metal stakes such as I did, you can bend them enough to lift the sign frame out.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraman44 View Post
    I used the PVC banner idea but instead of rebar I used wooden 5/8" dowel. Then used a small wood screw through the PVC into the dowel from behind. The wind is very bad here and the sign would be in a field next door if I do not secure it.
    Well The dowel idea... Not so good the wind actually snapped the dowels in half. So Just used twine to secure it from the top.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried just rebar for one night and that didnt work well - So I also went with the PVC idea - I have the 24x72 Banner and I needed more security so I put the banner up by the phone pole and tied the top of the PVC to the phone pole, and thats holding up great

Post Thanks / Like

Why not use rebar and a screw through the PVC like a set screw. It should catch between the ribs of the rebar
    Michael

New for 2013: Add'l Ren4Floods (3); add'l DMX TX/RX; add'l E681; GECE MegaTree; start conversion from RGB incans to LED. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC