Thread: Securing My banner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Securing My banner

I am thinking on using the pvc frame, what I am wondering is

A. should I take the bottom of the PVC straight to the ground and sliding the PVC over some rebar.
    That just seem like a big sail to me not sure if would stay down. We do get some nasty winds here.

B. At the bottom use a 2 way 90 and and make a T then put sand bags or some thing over them.

This is a tomorrow build so just curious how those did it, I have the Shindigz banner 24" x 72"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Securing My banner

I borrowed the pvc frame idea from someone else, but it's worked very well for 3 years now -- I just order different banners as I need them.

I drive a couple vertical pieces of rebar into the ground, slip the ends over them and pin the bottom horizontal to the ground with tent stakes. I use short bungee cords to attach the banner to the frame, and zip-tie a lighted candy cane to each end. It's withstood 40-50mph winds up here in Minnesnowda...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dirknerkle

The DIGWDF Store is the place to go for wireless stuff for Renard... controllers, adapters... or other junk that
    nobody else would probably ever make. It's all in stock right now at http://diychristmas.org/store

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Dirk. I like the bungee cord tie downs. Great use of candy canes...I have so many left over from prior years.

Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

shindigz just shipped my banner, I bookmarked this page. I have a few sandbags laying around, so I might drop one across the bottom rail.

If I tent Stake it, might it be frozen in the ground come January?

Post Thanks / Like

I used the PVC banner idea but instead of rebar I used wooden 5/8" dowel. Then used a small wood screw through the PVC into the dowel from behind. The wind is very bad here and the sign would be in a field next door if I do not secure it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buymyemu View Post
    shindigz just shipped my banner, I bookmarked this page. I have a few sandbags laying around, so I might drop one across the bottom rail.

If I tent Stake it, might it be frozen in the ground come January?
    Yes, but if you use metal stakes such as I did, you can bend them enough to lift the sign frame out.
    dirknerkle

The DIGWDF Store is the place to go for wireless stuff for Renard... controllers, adapters... or other junk that
    nobody else would probably ever make. It's all in stock right now at http://diychristmas.org/store

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraman44 View Post
    I used the PVC banner idea but instead of rebar I used wooden 5/8" dowel. Then used a small wood screw through the PVC into the dowel from behind. The wind is very bad here and the sign would be in a field next door if I do not secure it.
    Well The dowel idea... Not so good the wind actually snapped the dowels in half. So Just used twine to secure it from the top.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried just rebar for one night and that didnt work well - So I also went with the PVC idea - I have the 24x72 Banner and I needed more security so I put the banner up by the phone pole and tied the top of the PVC to the phone pole, and thats holding up great

Post Thanks / Like

Why not use rebar and a screw through the PVC like a set screw. It should catch between the ribs of the rebar
    Michael

New for 2013: Add'l Ren4Floods (3); add'l DMX TX/RX; add'l E681; GECE MegaTree; start conversion from RGB incans to LED. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC