Thread: Any Mac compatable software exist ???? Help :(

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Any Mac compatable software exist ???? Help :(

Im knew to this and have always had a decent christmas light display but this is the first year ive wanted to make my lights dance to music and need software for a mac or PC. Mac preferable. Thoughts.... Help me ..

Josh Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any Mac compatable software exist ???? Help :(

Quote Originally Posted by doodle28 View Post
    Im knew to this and have always had a decent christmas light display but this is the first year ive wanted to make my lights dance to music and need software for a mac or PC. Mac preferable. Thoughts.... Help me ..
    Vixen is the software you are looking for and it can be downloaded from here: http://www.vixenlights.com/

Here is the only drawback, it will only run on a windows platform. I run mine on a mac using Fusion wmware and then start my Windows XP. I have never had a problem with it. All of the comm ports work just fine and I have never had it lock up.

Hope that helps. Oh and you can get Fusion online or at the apple store.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    tweist
    736 Channels
    65+ Wireless Ren controllers
    [COLOR="#0000FF"](2013) 25+ houses[/COLOR]
    (2012) 20 houses total
    (2011) 13 houses total
    2012 video
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KVM_EPKYMM[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

There is not software that I know of that will let you sequence on Mac, but you can look into a software called xLights that will let you run your show on a Mac, even if you don't have a sequencing software installed on it. You can find more information about it here or on www.diylightanimation.com. You can even run the software on Linux OS too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweist View Post
    I run mine on a mac using Fusion wmware and then start my Windows XP. All of the comm ports work just fine and I have never had it lock up.
    My brother is a mac only user. I built him a Ren24SS and told him he needed to find a PC with Windows XP, but this makes it sound like I gave him bad advice.
    My question is, how did you get COM ports on a mac? USB to RS-232?<-- if so, what adapters and drivers are you using on your mac?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcadman View Post
    My brother is a mac only user. I built him a Ren24SS and told him he needed to find a PC with Windows XP, but this makes it sound like I gave him bad advice.
    My question is, how did you get COM ports on a mac? USB to RS-232?<-- if so, what adapters and drivers are you using on your mac?
    Within the Fusion software, there is a toolbar that is available. Once it is turned on, (very easy), all of the normal USB ports, CD drives, HDD's, etc, will show up at the bottom of the screen.
    I use two of the USB ports, one is connected via USB to RS232 adapter connector, and the other is connected USB to XBee Explorer board. The Explorer board gives me the wireless that I need. As for additional software, it did not ask for any. I just plugged it in and the Windows OS did the rest.
    Remember, once you start the Fusion software and it brings up the Windows OS, you are now in the windows world, not the Mac. The Windows OS sees all of the ports just as it would if it was a real PC.

Hope that helps.
    tweist
    736 Channels
    (2012) 20 houses total
    (2011) 13 houses total
    2012 video

Post Thanks / Like

The process is similar running windows in a VM on linux. I use VirtualBox and there is a menu of which CD drives/USB devices/etc. to pass through to the VM. I boot windows in a VM and then click the USB menu to pass through my prolific USB to RS485 device to the VM. Windows detects it, as if it were simply plugged in to the computer at that point. Works like a charm!
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

What dongle/hardware are you using?

I use LOR to sequence for right now. BUt I then take that lms file and use my own software to visualize, play, and schedule shows. xlights is also an alternative to playing and scheduling (and supports several hardware). I like native mac integration (for instance, my software uses iCal for the schedule portion) so decided to just write my own (and I wanted to control my projector turning on and off with my show via a serial port).
    If you are using lynx dongle and native dmx (I convert the LOR to dmx) and might have an interest in (if xlights or others are not suited for you) and want to give it a try, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweist View Post
    I use two of the USB ports, one is connected via USB to RS232 adapter connector
    Do you know who made your USB - RS232 adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcadman View Post
    Do you know who made your USB - RS232 adapter?
    I'm using the Belkin model N10117. I have never had a problem with it, but then I have never really pushed it that far.
    Works for me. And I get to see more blinky flashy lights on it too.
    tweist
    736 Channels
    (2012) 20 houses total
    (2011) 13 houses total
    2012 video