Thread: Helix alive and well, in 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helix alive and well, in 2011!

Hi, all...

After running two Firegod systems (flawlessly!!) in 2009, I took last year off. After deciding to run a show this year, I dusted off the "tools" - I found that my show computers, BOTH of them, had experienced hard drive "clicks of death" syndrome (along with wiping out ALLl my sequences, from 2009!). Not wanting to spend a lot for a new computer, I put a PCI serial port card in an old computer I had. The Firegod lit up like a Christmas Tree (pun intended), but I decided I wanted to use my Helix set up, that I built in 2009, but didn't use. I own the lot across the street from my house, where my shop is, and I REALLY want to carry my lights across the street. This isn't feasible with the Firegod (anyone wanna buy 2 Firegod setups?? ).

After digging it all out, I spent a few emails with Greg, and about an hour on the phone, breathing life back into the Helix, and refreshing all my missundertanding of how it all works. The Helix is a bit on the "geeky" side, (sorry Greg, that's a compliment!) and assumes that you can figure out a few things with lateral thinking. I'm learning...

Anyway, I now have 384 channels available. I have 256 already spoken for at the house, and I'm not sure how many will be across the street, as I don't have a LOT of time to get my act together.

Thanks, again, Greg, for a great system, and for taking the time to help everyone who needs it. It only gets better and better. I'm thinking I can convert my Network Controller board to another node, and build the V.2 Controller. Does it ever end??

Roger
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Helix alive and well, in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by 51fordf2 View Post
    Does it ever end??
    Roger
    No.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Post Thanks / Like

the Helix controller is incredible. we will be using three of them this year for three displays. Our Helixs will be used to control Renard boards.

The Helix is not as complex as people think it is although it is incredibly powerful. it is no tougher to build than a Renard as Greg solders the one surface mount component for you.

it has a micro SD card that holds the shows, schedule, and music and basically does everything for us. Our displays will be out in the cold and power gets turned on and off during hte day by park workers. the Helix eliminates the need for a computer.

I also second your comments on Greg. he has been extremely helpful and is a pleasure to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ What he said. All of it. I was on the phone with Greg for about 30 minutes right before Halloween in '09 to iron out a user error, and it work great the rest of the year.

Good luck, Roger, I'm sure you'll have a blast with the system this year.
    Oh... I guess I'm not leaving the hobby. Just re-tooling.

On order:
    Helix V3 - 32ch SSR daugher board & (2) standard daughter boards
    (4) DirkCheapSSR units

In the process of building:
    (2) Ren24 SS boards

Post Thanks / Like

I built my 2nd Helix this year and have split my display on both sides of the street. I have 96 channels on my side and 64 channels running on the other side. I wanted to do a 2nd mega tree on the other side of the road but I ran out of time. The system has been up for two weeks with no issues.

I have discovered one problem. Now I have to figure out how to video this thing.

The Helix is an awesome controller and I will be building a couple more for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Roger !!!

Just plain awesome.