Thread: Plans for a stable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plans for a stable?

I am looking for plans on building a stable for a blow mold nativity scene. It's medium size, not life size, blow molds. Last year I made one out of a pair of pallets and some 2x4s but it wasn't something I could really keep and had to send off to the dump.

I saw a stable last year at Menards but they didn't have it in stock yet. Found one on ebay but it's pricey (not sure what Menards price is anyway) but you can see what I'm talking about. I'd like to make something like this since it looks like it can be folded up.

I was thinking a couple pieces of plywood together with a hinges for the back and roof. Then a pair of front supports locked in place somehow (removeable) to keep it up; it wouldn't need walls. Hold it down / support it from behind with a couple small fence posts. Also thinking I would cut "slats" in the plywood to give the illusion of it being boards together. That and to allow some air to flow through it

Sorry if this is not the best sub forum for this but I didn't see one for something like this. It is wood so I figured close enough. Even a plywood cutout of a stable as a background would work too.

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plans for a stable?

I made one using 1 x 6 boards. The side walls, the back wall and the roof are seperate pieces and are connected together using "L" brackets. I can take some pics when I get home the first part of the week if you like. It's big enough for the family to fit inside and the rest of the characters go outside.
    Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea. Are all the dimensions for each piece the same or is it just a wide back and the walls / roof are shorter? I can just set the family up to figure it all out.

If a couple pictures aren't a bother that would be great. I'd like to see how you put the boards together. I'm not much of a carpenter.

Thank you

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I built a 2"x3" frame and then used rough-sawn boards salvaged from old pallets for the floor and walls. The roof is painted plywood. It's heavy and doesn't come apart, but it turned out pretty nice. Storage is definitely a problem with this one. Here's a couple of pics:
    Framework
    StableFrame.jpg
    Yep, we had a White Christmas in Georgia last year!
    Nativity.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine out of reclaimed pickets from old wooden playground equipment. The boards are 48" long by 3/4" thick. I made it in sections so I can break it down for easy storage. Each section was built then screwed together with 3" sheet rock screws. When the stable is all together, I drilled holes at an angle through the horizontal boards on each side to drive a piece of re-bar through to help hold it in the wind. It is all put together with sheet rock screws. I spaced the slats the thickness of a carpenters pencil to allow water to drain and to help with weight of the whole thing. Sorry I don't have any dimensions for it right this minute.

1.jpg2.jpg