Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Wart Tamer (filter for FM Transmitters) - Interest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wall Wart Tamer (filter for FM Transmitters) - Interest

The reason I have interest in this is I am not currently able to home etch boards. I knew of the W3, but afaik, they're home etch only.
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the W3 is quite a bit more interesting, especially the adjustability aspect, AND it already comprehends the need for a 3 volt higher input voltage to get proper regulation at the desired voltage. Too bad we can't get this board made also or instead....
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you see something wrong in what we did?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking a fair amount at power supplies (eg. that YouTube thread etc). The schematic for your circuit seems sound enough, except I'm not sure what the 3.3K resistor is doing. (Perhaps I need to continue my research ;) ) My other concern is the heat dissipation. *IF* you were to rotate the 78xx by 90% (clockwise), I think you would still have the space to lay it down *AND* have plenty of room around it, if you decide to stand it up and attach a "honkin' big heatsync" on the back. (Something flashy with Chrome and Fins!!).

Pro's - stuff you did that I never thought of. DC and AC inputs (with DC bypassing the bridge).
    I like it, as we don't lose the ~2.4v through the bridge anymore (just be careful hooking up the DC).

EDIT: Realized I never stated -- I'd be in for 3 to 4 boards depending on cost.
    Last edited by LabRat; 10-19-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
    Wow the W3 is quite a bit more interesting, especially the adjustability aspect, AND it already comprehends the need for a 3 volt higher input voltage to get proper regulation at the desired voltage. Too bad we can't get this board made also or instead....

I will direct this to CaptKirk, do you see something wrong in what we are doing, we have spent many hours looking at solutions for the things we develop for everyone to benefit from and sometimes we can't make everything perfect for everyone but we do our best to help the community.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I've been looking a fair amount at power supplies (eg. that YouTube thread etc). The schematic for your circuit seems sound enough, except I'm not sure what the 3.3K resistor is doing. (Perhaps I need to continue my research ;) ) My other concern is the heat dissipation. *IF* you were to rotate the 78xx by 90% (clockwise), I think you would still have the space to lay it down *AND* have plenty of room around it, if you decide to stand it up and attach a "honkin' big heatsync" on the back. (Something flashy with Chrome and Fins!!).

Pro's - stuff you did that I never thought of. DC and AC inputs (with DC bypassing the bridge).
    I like it, as we don't lose the ~2.4v through the bridge anymore (just be careful hooking up the DC).
    THX Andrew I will rotate the 78xx for better heat dissipation.

Post Thanks / Like

I like flexibility in designs. The W3 by using an adjustable regulator can be tweaked to do whatever one wants- need 7.5v, adjust it. Need 6V, adjust it. Want to replace 2 NiMH batteries- adjust it to 2.4V. Your design looks like it does a great job of handling and filtering a single voltage at a time. The W3 is a little overkill, but could be used in more applications. If you want an FM transmitter filter, I believe (based on the FM02 specs) that you could take any old "12V DC" wall wart, add some parallel 2200uf caps to overfilter it and be good and not worry about the voltage as long as it is not higher than the 24v max they recommend (which I am sure a cheapo 12V DC wall wart would not be THAT bad, right?)

That is it. You asked! That is my opinion which is a lot like a behind- everyone has one and most stink... ;-)
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Mac,

I, for one, appreciate that you are trying to advance our craft by being innovative, responsive to all queries and adjusting when you get positive feedback. Honestly, I don't know how you maintain what appears to me, at least, a positive, helpful and open DIY spirit with some of the non constructive criticism thrown your direction. So, from me to you, THANK YOU! Thank you for the simple Renard series! Thank you for the SSR boards! Thank you for the WWT! And Thank You for all of the other things you've done to make this hobby a little bit more fun.

-- John

P.S. Interested ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
    Then run an interest thread and get them made!

Post Thanks / Like

John,

I appreciate what people do here with their designs also. I show that appreciation by participating in group buys, or providing help, or feedback to try and do whatever I can to try to help improve designs, or add flexibility or advance the craft. Sometimes that might be taken as critisim, but that is NOT the intent. Sorry you see it as non-constructive critisim- maybe you are influenced by some other less open site? Sometimes it takes someone to say "the Emperor has no clothes" to put the light of reality on something that needs improvement. (not the situation here- this is a solid design.) I know that I have fallen in love with some of my own ideas only to have someone have to say- "wow, that wont work" to be able to look at it objectively.

OPEN DIY takes the "critisim" with the simple-minded, non-constructive praise. It helps point out flaws, or limitiations BEFORE people spend their money on a less than ideal solution. If we could not express our opinions, we would have a site like some other light animation sites run by a dictator that allows no one to disagree with them. If you do not like the back and forth here, the refinement of the ideas, and what tends to be very very constructive feedback everywhere I can see, then maybe other sites are best for you.

I've never done boards before, and I have a ways before I could run a COOP like that (I know my limitations), but I would like to do so sometime. In the meantime, I will allow the experts handle those details as I watch and learn how to be successful at doing one.
    Last edited by CaptKirk; 10-19-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast