Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DMX to 0-10V analog

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DMX to 0-10V analog

This is different from the "Renard" world, where each controller "eats" the channels it uses and only passes on the rest.

In normal DMX land (and in fact, LOR, AL and other protocols), the entire signal, from channel 1 to 512, is sent to every controller. Each controller has an address that it listens to, and just uses that portion of the signal to control it's assigned lights/function.

So be sure that if you use a Renard controller, that it has a "pass-thru" port where it sends all the signal to the next controller, or use a splitter to send the entire signal to each controller/device. This will allow two or more controllers to listen to the same channel and not effect each other.
    Mark
    Kernersville, NC
    On the move to another location sometime soon. Probably no display this year

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the info, I recently built the DMX to analog converter mentioned in the second post. I used the design to modify an older 12-channel EDI dimmer to operate from DMX. The design has some features that I like. It uses a 3-position digital thumb-wheel instead of DIP switches. The connections to the DACs are serial. I was able to eliminate the output buffer op amps as the DACs have a 12k ohm output impedance and the dimmer input impedance is over 100k. I modified the circuit supplying V high to the DACs to cut out if no DMX is present otherwise all outputs latch at the last updated value. So it is a 4 chip design bread-boarded on a 3" x 3" PICProto PCB. It is small enough to locate inside of the existing analog control module. I am still testing it but it appears to be reliable in what I have used to control it. The only downside so far is that the 2 DAC chips were a bit pricey.

I'm only really posting this to let you know that this design is viable. Good luck in your endeavors.

-MH

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the PWM to Analog question. Arduino and others that put out PWM (The Arduino Mega has 16 PWM outputs) can create decent 0 to 5V Analog outputs by filtering the PWM output. For 0 to 10V you'd need a simple OpAmp with a gain of 2.

Take a look at: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Analog-Output
    and for some PWM info: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/PWM

(Some images didn't come up but should be OK later)...

Let us know if you get this working....
    Regards, Terry King ... In The Woods In Vermont
    terry@yourduino.com http://yourduino.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123