Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Run a Renard without a computer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Run a Renard without a computer

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    OK, I've got some sample code here that flashes all of the lights on and off at about a two-second pace (don't time me...) when there isn't any incoming data. It doesn't send data downstream, although code could be added to do so at the spot where new code is hooked in.

I'm not sure if I want to upload the code for general use yet, for fear that it would be confused with the regular Renard start_address firmware. Any suggestions (or volunteers) for avoiding a general mess at this point?

PS By 'here', I mean on my computer.

I'd like to try it an modify it for the PIC18Fxxxx stuff if thats OK with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mactayl View Post
    I'd like to try it an modify it for the PIC18Fxxxx stuff if thats OK with you.
    Sent. Not that there is much to it. It's just a counter that is incremented at the end of each PWM cycle (120 times/sec for 60 Hz, 100 times/sec for 50 Hz), and is reset whenever a character is received. When that counter overflows the user code is called.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I will try it tonight.

Thanks Phil,

Post Thanks / Like

Took a quick look at it and as for other controllers down the line if they had the firmware installed they would also start running there own sequence and you would not need to transmit any data from the first controller to the other controllers as the they would respond to the Renard data stream as soon as they receive Renard data correct

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. It could be done either way - each controller could run independently when the data stops coming, or the lead PIC could start sending data when it stops receiving data. In the latter case all of the downstream PICs would see a one or two second gap in incoming data before the first PIC starts sending, so they would need to be programmed to ignore that gap (i.e. use current, unmodified firmware). At the moment that duration of that gap is hard-coded, but it would be fairly easy to make it configurable.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I really think a lot of folks would like this option during a break in the show where there lights could just flash independently of there show or run them in a random sequence before of after there show or just about anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

How many bits of sequece data could be stored on the PIC16F688? It would not be too hard for me to write a plugin to output the bits representing the data into a .asm file that could be compiled. Or maye another PIC16 that has the same pinout and more data? Just a thought.

Erik
    Give back to the site that has given so much, become a [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]supporting member[/URL].

Post Thanks / Like

This would interest me greatly for my Ren48 with Super Strips. I leave them up all year but don't run them due to them needing a PC. I would run them all night long in fading patterns if it were possible to do it without a PC.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to implement the code on the Ren4Flood at some point so I'd be interested...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erm213 View Post
    How many bits of sequece data could be stored on the PIC16F688?
    I think that depends on what format you store them in. If you use 1 byte per channel per interval, you could use up the available flash memory ((4K words - what is used for the firmware)/#channels/#intervals you want), or if you stored them as bitmaps or threaded function codes, you could get potentially a lot more in there.

don
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast