Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run a Renard without a computer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Run a Renard without a computer

Anybody have some generic PIC code that would allow me to run a Renard controller without a computer. I would be interested in either regular renard or DMX code.

What ideally I want to happen is kind of like the cheap 3ch DMX controllers. You know where it will start to cycle through colors when their is no signal but I will take anything you might have.

I have 12 pumpkins with some basic RGB modules i just want to blink or fade in out without the computer, so I can do other sequenced show stuff while they are just doing their thing.

If I had a better understanding of code I'm sure I could figure it out, but I don't. The beta diagnostic code looks like it might be able to be modified since it will turn on and off all channels but I am at a loss for this.

Any help, or even directions to point me in to write my own code would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by bcstuff; 10-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Run a Renard without a computer

It's not clear what you are trying to do. Do you want the firmware to be solely standalone (never responding to serial input), or do you want it to do some sort of background stuff when it isn't receiving any data? Do you want each PIC to be completely independent, or do you want some sort of server-client setup?

At the moment I have a firmware that I created for another forum member that does a cylon-eyes thing, and another one that does some sort of bicycle-spokes sort of thingy. Both are for LEDs only (all of the AC support has been removed).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,
    I would be OK with either never responding to serial but the doing background when not receiving data would be better.

Ideally if the first Pic could tell the others what to do that would be best, so I would only have to pull one pic and reprogram it to change the controller but I am not opposed to pulling all the pics and reprogramming them.

I have a Ren48 running 12 sets of RGB LED modules. I just want the RGB modules to be independent and fade or blink a simple pattern, so I don't have to run the computer all the time. I would just put it on a plug timer and have it come on and go off.

I am game for whatever you have to play around with, like both firmwares you have mentioned although they are not exactly what I want them to do, I could look and learn and possibly modify them to fit my needs.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian

For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.

Post Thanks / Like

That was quick.

Anyway, I was hoping that it was the simplest situation (DC, each PIC is completely independent, and does not have to respond to serial input).

The code for those other modules that I mentioned was created from the Renard firmware, stripping out all of the serial communications stuff, and adding some simple sequencing logic. I'd have to think about how easy (or hard) it would be to add a 'hook' to the start-address firmware that you could add your own logic (either called all of the time, or only when nothing has been received for a while). I'm hoping that you are able to do the rest yourself.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,
    Simple sequence logic that sounds like that would work.
    How hard would it be for me to figure out what command did what and just build a simple fade up fade down or for a channel then the next and so on. Repeat forever and start when power is applied.

I would be willing to run with this on my own. My plan was if I got the code you already had, clyon/spokes, I would compare them and tinker to try to figure it out.

I am game for learning as long as you don't mind me asking a few questions during the learning process.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, I have to think about how to do something that would be of slightly more use than just for this. It might be a couple of days.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

No problem,
    Thanks for looking into this Phil.

Brian
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would like the cylon firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

You could step back one level and have a "driver board" in between the PC and the first renard in the chain. The driver would simply have a 50ms clock that sends a very simply looping vixen data stream out or passes serial along.
    Left to Do:
    2011!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jboyles7 View Post
    You could step back one level and have a "driver board" in between the PC and the first renard in the chain. The driver would simply have a 50ms clock that sends a very simply looping vixen data stream out or passes serial along.
    Either way, code has to be written.
    Phil

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast