Thread: Candy cane painting tape removal question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Candy cane painting tape removal question

I have a bunch of PVC to paint with a candy cane pattern. I've painted my red base coat and I was wondering after taping it up and painting them white when is the best time to remove the painters tape?

I did one and let it dry over night and I thought it could have come off easier so I'm wondering if I could be doing it better.

Thanks!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Candy cane painting tape removal question

The new Frog tap is expensive, but absolutely awesome. You have to be careful because the Red can pull off easily. Did you prep and prime before painting red? Blue Painter's tape should be fine but I would test on one, before doing them all.

I try to remove as soon as the paint starts to dry.

Now that we have two of us very close together, you should have let me know. I could have cut you some stripes on the vinyl cutter. Unfortunatel ay, the white I have is not Opaque and would look a little pink if you tried to put it on Red.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

I sanded them down. Then primered and put the red down. I have the blue tape. I plan on an acrylic gloss sealer to finish it up.

Thanks for the offer. I wanted to paint them. I made a pole last year and used tape for the red. Then I read your post about the tape fading and how people end up wanting to paint them anyway. So I'm doing the mini poles like this. If I have time I may repaint the north pole but that is probably for next year. It still looks good enough - just depends next to the mini's.

For storage I have a big roll of plastic wrap for shipping. So that should keep them all safe.

Right now I'm just using my time waiting for the Renards to show up and get moving on those (that and trying not to get distracted by more stuff). I don't do sequencing to music yet so I just have one long sequence I'm working on.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Blue painters tape and remove it as soon as the paint is not sticky feeling works fine for me , I have done 10 north poles and no problems

Post Thanks / Like

The blue tape and waiting about 10-15 minutes for removal is working great. I put the gloss sealer on them and they are looking really sharp. I've done 25 this past week. Along with

No red has come up yet. I let the red dry for a day before I move on to white.

I've liked the results so much I started redoing my PVC North Pole tonight that fits over my lamp post (It was just red tape on white painted PVC). That one I'm going to take my time on and make sure I do it as best I can. Just have to get the white down in one good swipe since I don't trust the tape with two coats on it. I guess I could do a quick second coat then remove the tape. Maybe I'll get some of that frog tape for it too. It's out front and the biggest so I want it sharp.