Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAHH 2 rainbow spotlights messed up. (LEDS wrong rotation).

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAHH 2 rainbow spotlights messed up. (LEDS wrong rotation).

Got confused turning upside down and back around and ended up putting a bunch of LED's upside down (BAHH I tell you). I'm not going to be able to repair this with my lil soldering station. Probably 5 LED's upside down, one unit it's the green the other it's the blue...

Is there a special tool to help fixing soldering blunders, or is it just expertise etc. I mean I hate to toss em,

suggestions?

Tory
    Livermore-Dad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BAHH 2 rainbow spotlights messed up. (LEDS wrong rotation).

There are several options/skills to be learned for "re-work" such as this.

I happen to have a second soldering iron, which certainly helps in this type of situation.
    Also there's the optional use of hot air which heats an area of the board up to a point where the solder re-flows, at that time you can nudge the part with a pair of pliers to get it free. Once it's out you can clean-up the board using solder wick (aka de-soldering braid).
    I just replaced a 14 pin device using hot air. First I masked the areas I didn't want getting too hot, with tin-foil. Then using a "heat gun", and moving in a circular manner, I heated the area. Once the solder went shiny, I used a pair of pliers to carefully push the legs of the IC. It popped out, and I left everything to cool before continuing.

Whatever you do... don't toss 'em. If you can't fix them, I'm sure there are people here who would be willing to help fix 'em.

Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

I find that I mess up the board trying to save the part. Now I cut all the pins on the part and desolder them one at a time and buy a new part.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I use a tool called a solder sucker. It is basically a small vacuum pump like a mini bike pump. They cost $10-$20 and you should be able to get one from any store that sells electronic components and tools.
    You heat up each joint with your iron, place the sucker over the joint and press the botton to release the plunger. It sucks up all the molten solder. I remove ICs with this device no problems, and with no damage to the board or the IC.
    Just remember to empty the sucker occasionally when it gets full of solder slag.

Alternately you can use braid, but I have never had much luck with it.
    2013 plans
    Hopefully bigger and better than 2012.
    Adding RGB pixels, more LEDs, snow and fog.

Post Thanks / Like

Tory,
    If these are the Rainbow spots from Seasonal entertainment with the new superflux LEDs for this year, I could send you some LEDs to replace the ones you soldered in backwards. I bought a bunch of extras when I messed up 2 LEDs for my Rainbow Floods, so I have plenty left.

I never really have good luck trying to remove parts especially when they have more than 2 legs. I have pulled out a few pads and messed up a board, now I do like Brian said and just cut the legs and unsolder each leg individually. Then I use a solder sucker to suck out the remaining solder.

Let me know if you want me to send you the replacements, I could get them out in the mail on Monday if you wanted.

Brian
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

Click here to show/hide my display details...

My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced all the Red led's in my Rainbow Floods this year, and didn't lift one pad. I used my soldering iron with an extra long fine tip to touch 2 pins at a time, while prying very gently with a probe from the top side. I did one side at a time, and most of them came out pretty easily. Used a solder sucker to clean the pads, and put the new ones in. You may have to straighten a few bent pins, but you should be able to re-use the LED's.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing repair work on a bunch of stuff, the flux coated desoldering braid from mouser seems to be the ticket -- the parts just fall out. I think it is treated. The radioshack desoldering braid is OK but the flux coated is much better. If you feel really uncomfortable -- drop them in the mail -- I'll help you out.

Mouser braid -- http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0eajjbhA%3d%3d
    Left to Do:
    2011!!

Post Thanks / Like

on "tough" assignments... I dip my solder braid into liquid flux, and then apply. You can literally see the solder climbing up the wick. (ok.. I need to use those magnifying specs.. but it's pretty cool to watch.)
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

I have a sucker and it's saved me a few times, but with 4 pins it's a tad tough. I see what you guys are saying about cutting the legs and just de-soldering each pin, much easier then trying to do all 4, but still leaves kind of a mess I was successful transplanting one led but I think it took me over an hour and that doesn't create a happy back hahahah

Thanks for the offer of assistance as well, I'll see if I can do this and I totally get frustrated I'll drop you a note and see what it would take for you assist me in getting these repaired.

Hey B will send you a pm or email, I have the square boards, but these are from right before he switched to the round design, so I think they are the same LED's. " Superflux Piranha LED’s"

thanks all!

Tory

Post Thanks / Like

w00t, got a second wind and learned a few things today. so I got all 10leds removed and reinstalled cleanly. And they all function (I think), missing a resistor so can't test one board.

But ya, my first real R&R today and it felt good.

Next milestone will be fixing a trace or something.

Thanks all!

Tory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast