Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Coro Singing Pumpkin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Holiday Coro Singing Pumpkin

Project update....

I cut four, 1" long sections of PVC and mounted them on the front of the pumpkin as standoffs. Now I can at least push the bulb side against a wall and the bulbs will be secure. (I love PVC!!!) (Not shown - I screwed a couple pipe brackets onto each vertical side of the big pumpkin frame. For mounting in the yard, I'll just drive a couple sections of rebar into the ground and slide it down over them.)

Here are the small pumpkins. These are actually plastic treat buckets I bought at Target for $1 each. But because they didn't have a top, I bought some plastic orange plates, cut the rims off and with a few dollops of silicone glue they fit perfectly on top. For pumpkin stumps, I cut a short 3/4" section of PVC that was painted green and glued it to the tops.

I used a fender washer and 1" sheetrock screw through the bottom and mounted them on two sections of lumber I'd painted black. This will make them easy to store and especially easy to set out. And they're not likely to blow around, either.

With my Dremel and a diamond saw I cut a V-shaped flap in the back/bottom of each for wiring access and placed a string of 20 mini-lights in each.

This completes this project for me... great fun. I wonder what life will be like when I grow up???

DSCI0059.jpgDSCI0062.JPGDSCI0060.JPGDSCI0063.JPGDSCI0064.JPG
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 09-19-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typos

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely awesome, and elegantly simple to boot!!!

This is definitely on my list for next year!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    This completes this project for me... great fun. I wonder what life will be like when I grow up???
    Looks great. Now why do you want to grow up? This is concerning.

Erik
    Give back to the site that has given so much, become a [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]supporting member[/URL].

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dirk - how far apart are the lights around the perimeter. I am making some coro cutouts for Christmas and trying to figure out how far apart to drill the holes and still get a nice look.

Post Thanks / Like

You are already growed up. Just your mind has to catch up...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobDude30 View Post
    Hey Dirk - how far apart are the lights around the perimeter. I am making some coro cutouts for Christmas and trying to figure out how far apart to drill the holes and still get a nice look.
    I'd say they're slightly less than 3/4" apart, and it's the same distance whether it's an eye, part of the mouth, or whatever. In cases where lines overlap/intersect, they are closer than that, of course.

Having said that, I want to say that buying the piece from Holiday Coro made it so easy -- well worth the money, I feel. The board is opaque black so nothing shows through, the holes are already there for you, someone has already traced on the back of the board to show which sets of holes are for what, and you get three sequences (and MP3 files) along with it, ready to go -- the time that saved alone was worth the $$ to me! But on top of all that, the board comes folded and shipped inside -- what else -- MORE CORO! So you get not only the pumpkin, the sequences and music, but you get a 4' square piece of regular coro (white translucent) to boot that you can use later on for something else!

So you might consider buying one instead -- the holes are uniform and perfectly sized for mini-lights (or M5 LEDs), you get all the other stuff -- it's a steal at the price!

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobDude30 View Post
    Spacing is a tricky thing - for some areas you need to have them fairly tight, such as where you have lots of curves or jagged angles and you can space them out where the eye can "interpolate" between the lights such as long separate lines. Some places like on mouths, eyes you'll also need them close. I would *highly* recommend drawing out the vectors on transparency, then using another transparency laid over the vectors, layout the dots where you have bulbs so you can workout the spacing. You'll need these anyway when you do the projector. Ideally this is done in CAD where it's trivial to test many different spacings.

Be sure to flip your design when you trace it to the back side so it comes out correctly. Here is what you'd be looking for when you are done:

bulb-tracing.JPG
    Last edited by dmoore; 09-22-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post

Having said that, I want to say that buying the piece from Holiday Coro made it so easy -- well worth the money, I feel. The board is opaque black so nothing shows through, the holes are already there for you, someone has already traced on the back of the board to show which sets of holes are for what, and you get three sequences (and MP3 files) along with it, ready to go -- the time that saved alone was worth the $$ to me!
    I am with Dirk on this one. I had been on the fence for a while on weather or not to buy the coro. The addition of the files put me over the edge, especially after building some coro's my 4th of July show.
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all of the input. Very helpful!

I do agree that purchasing pre-made would be much easier, but I am working on some cutouts of my own design. So, wish me luck on all of the hole drilling/punching.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Well again you have inspired me Dave. Made a trip to WalMart today and 6 for .97 each. Now to put it together. Where did you get the plates?

Rick

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast