Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 10 Watt RGB Flood Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10 Watt RGB Flood Light

I've been looking into building a 20w RGB flood and I've broken it down like this:

3x LM317T + 3 resistors - $0.76 total from Tayda
    1x 3 channel 24V capable DMX Controller - $21.49 from EBAY
    1x 20W RGB LED - $6.49 from EBAY
    1x Flood enclosure - $6 from Home Depot
    1x Heatsink - Should be free if you've ever had an old CPU replaced or can scrounge one from a computer repair place.

So you're looking about $35 all said and done. Should come out a bit cheaper than ordering from China and the controller has dip switches for address setting which I like. This is probably the route I'm going to go next year.

Post Thanks / Like

@amps, that DMX controller is basically a REN4FLood on steroids
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

amps.... yeah, i think needing the 12-24v dmx controller bumps up the price otherwise I'd try the one from holidaycoro for $12 although it's strictly a board not enclosed. I'll have to search around see if can find slightly cheaper 24v capable dmx unit. Can you fit the your listed DMX controller inside the light fixture? I'm assuming you were planning on just hanging externally then only be used indoors, or is that DMX box ip65 or weather proof, guess I should read the specs, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, that sounds like a good idea Michael. Would have to drop in a slightly higher power transistor (like the BC635 if you bent the pins) but it would come in cheaper than the DMX controller, would still be DIY and you could support a DIYC vendor which is always good.

sjim: I'd have to double check but I think that controller would fit in the standard flood enclosure. I wouldn't want anything to be outside the case and exposed, even if it says it's rated for the weather. Had some trouble this year with some RGB amps.

Post Thanks / Like

how cheap can we make the 10w RGB floods, lets see we'll use pvc for fixture, 10 pennies for heat sink (lol), can get 5 x 10w RGB's for $20=$4per, what's the best/cheapest 12v dmx interface? It seems you could do it for under $15 apiece likely, can you use holidaycoro's $8 dmx rgb controller?

Post Thanks / Like

I think their controller would be more than adequate.

You be looking at:

$4 per LED
    $1 roughly for constant current circuit. LM317's, resistors and a small piece of perfboard
    $6 Enclosure
    $9 Holiday Coro DMX controller (also available through Ebay for the same price but with free shipping)

$20 Total

You'd need some way to program the addresses of the controllers but it would come in cheaper than buying them premade again. Since the 10W LEDs only draw 300-350ma, you could run them directly off of a Simple Renard RGBW. That would add $30 total to the cost but allow control of up to 10 floods or $3 per.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the pictures gone? I cannot see them. From post #37 that is.
    Last edited by Jscavincky; 10-24-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was trying to do the same thing with flood I have here. Mine only have a led driver inside and nothing else.. What would I need to use these with a DMX controller..

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011