Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 10 Watt RGB Flood Light

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is to ask Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10 Watt RGB Flood Light

If you ask when you order, Ray will gladly pre-program the flood for you before shipping. Just tell him your desired channel numbers and they will be all set for you when they arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

If I buy some of these lights to use this year as an un-modified white spotlight will they work plugged into my Renard SS24? I was just wondering with an AC to DC driver in them will the go instant on like an incan or do they take tens of milliseconds for the power-supply to ramp up? If they do come on instantly can I dim them?

My current plan was to go with some standard 120VAC white incan spotlights this year and venture into some next year. Since I have not bought the spotlights yet I was thinking I could just purchase these and run them as is for 2012 and modify them for 2013 .
    [URL="http://www.tipplightshow.com/"]http://www.TippLightShow.com[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/TippLightShow"]http://www.facebook.com/TippLightShow[/URL]

2010 -1 Channel, 150 C9s
    2011 -1 Channel, 300 C9s (w/ unplanned electrical circuit upgrades to the front of the house)
    Halloween 2012 - 36 Channels
    Christmas 2012 - 60 Channels, 9k Lights
    Halloween 2013 - 63 Channels + 4 RGB Floods

Post Thanks / Like

the lights I hacked into do not power up in a on-state, I had to turn them on with the remote to get them on at all. from what I found on mine- they will light up as fast as you can plug them in and turn on the remote, not much help if your trying to control the main power thru boards, the only option I found was to hack into the board inside the light.

Post Thanks / Like

Anymore information on these ? I'm a little confused, alot of variant steps is there any complete instructions avail? It seems like the price Ray Wu offers for $24 for the 10w RGB DMX flood would be hard to beat, If I wanted make 20w versions of these what would be the steps, if wanting to daisy chain several per run, (1) either by making each from scratch buying RGB chip putting into some fixture...etc? (2) Or, by modifying an existing purchased fixture...etc
    Last edited by sjim; 12-10-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Joeytx... do you have any pics avai of the process for these?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjim View Post
    Anymore information on these ? I'm a little confused, alot of variant steps is there any complete instructions avail? It seems like the price Ray Wu offers for $24 for the 10w RGB DMX flood would be hard to beat, If I wanted make 20w versions of these what would be the steps, if wanting to daisy chain several per run, (1) either by making each from scratch buying RGB chip putting into some fixture...etc? (2) Or, by modifying an existing purchased fixture...etc
    Ray will actually sell you a 20w variant of the flood if you email him. It's the same fixture but the LED is swapped. Cost increase is about the same cost as buying the 20w RGB LED directly + the 10w DMX flood. I think he gets them from a manufacturer then pays a local place to do the swap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Ray got back and has the 20W DMX floods for $34, he's definitely has the best prices I've seen. On the other hand, I seen 20W RGB chips now for $6 on ebay... if someone could come up with some instructions making these babies, I'd be loving it.... need to be 12-24v though, probably need to be 24v supply...not sure. Can anybody put together a quick list with product names for doing a 20w RGB flood. Understanding you'd need (fixture, 20W RGB chip, heatsink, DMX interface built in/power 12-24v), anything else missing? If you can do it from scratch and save $10 per unit then prob worth it vs buying from Ray which prob amounts to about $45 per unit that includes shipping to US.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that you need the driving circuity to handle the extra 10w. Most of these fixtures are designed to meet the absolute minimum spec required with little to no overhead. Just doing a swap of the LED might result in a 20w capable LED being driven with the same current as a 10w thus loosing most of the gain you would receive. As an aside, a good way to tell if your fixture's driving circuitry isn't spec'd right is if you start seeing more red the brighter you make it. This is an indicator that the fixture is a voltage-regulated and not current-regulated device and has begin dropping current to continue maintaining the voltage level. Since LEDs are current devices and not voltage devices, and RED LED component uses the least amount of current out of the three, it will continue to get brighter (or at least appear that way).

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this thread and after building 3 rainbow floods, 5 diyc floods and several ren4flood boards (not to mention 4 Ren48lsd's), I'd like to pose a theoretical question. This thread is all about hacking the light to use our existing controllers or a SSR'like board. Has anyone looked into hacking the REMOTE control. Maybe a new type of board that would convert our Ren and/or DMX signals into the correct IR sequence that the remotes would send to the lights.

Based on the description, these lights seem to respond to the IR remote. Either way, a board that bypasses the remote control logic and re-broadcasts that signal based on input from one of our controllers might be more flexible. You would just need to wire an IR emitter inside the light facing the sensor. And if you marry that with wireless dmx or REN-W, you have a wireless flood light that can be controlled AND/OR you can use the out of the box remote when you are not sending controller signals. (ie Stand-alone mode).

Has anyone had this idea and or done any work along those lines?
    Michael

New for 2016: Getting my ESPixel network to function, 4 HDPE Pixel Arches, Pixel matrix on tree trunks. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast