Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "FaceBoard" - Face Animation Concept

Post Thanks / Like

Default "FaceBoard" - Face Animation Concept

I'm not sure exactly whether this fits here, but as it's a concept currently in development, this seems like a good place to start.

There's been a lot of work done on singing skulls, and some have made some animated face displays using rope lights, but I've been messing around with the idea of a single circuit board that has various circuits and each circuit has its own set of LEDs. The circuits outline various facial features and in combinations could create some pleasing (hopefully) effects. The most current idea would use a 24-channel controller for the face. Believe it or not, this idea comes from a recent viewing of an old movie named "Futureworld" which included several scenes where the "face" of a robot was removed from the head. Therefore, I'm calling this "FaceBoard." (Now just watch, I'll get sued by the Facebook guru... :lol:)

Below are some sample pictures of how it might work. I'm still refining the idea, but my current thinking is that a single 8"x10" board could be laid out with LEDs to accomplish this. I haven't gone past the basic idea yet into the electrical calculations nor numbers of LEDs required, but the idea here is that the front of the board would have the LEDs while the back-side of the board would be the controller. It could be wireless (of course!) but the idea is that the the FaceBoard could be stand alone and could be easy to add to an existing wire frame or other display, possibly even a blow-mold.

Anyway, here are some drawings I worked up so far... The first picture shows all the facial elements (24 channels) while the others show adaptations of how it might be used. Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 08-31-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "FaceBoard" - Face Animation Concept

When do you sleep......... Dude, wireless this, wireless that, snap in boards, now Faceboard......... you da man!!

Post Thanks / Like

What about EL Wire rather than LEDs? I've been thinking of something similar lately but haven't had much motivation or free time to start drawing it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Combine this with the Papagayo SW and a new plug-in based off of Chris's skull sequencer and I think you've got a winner there Dirky by boy!
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea but I think you fogot some zeros in the size. You meant 80"x100" didn't you?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's going to be small.. a good option might be "Side Glow Fiber Optic" and a single LED to drive each channel..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dowis View Post
    What about EL Wire rather than LEDs? I've been thinking of something similar lately but haven't had much motivation or free time to start drawing it out.
    EL wire requires some wierd power, seems to be frequency-driven. Not sure how it can be switched, nor how bright it may be. I have no experience with it but it's a good research idea.

Quote Originally Posted by maffeirw View Post
    Sounds like a great idea but I think you fogot some zeros in the size. You meant 80"x100" didn't you?
    I'm thinking it could be expanded in scale with rope light or mini incans attached to a wire frame. Dunno. The 8x10 idea more closely mimics a person's actual head, and that may not be large enough.

Quote Originally Posted by chelmuth View Post
    If it's going to be small.. a good option might be "Side Glow Fiber Optic" and a single LED to drive each channel..
    There's a good idea -- a lot fewer bulbs and fiber optics are pretty easy to install -- just drill a bunch o' little holes. I'd be worried that they might be limited to straight-on viewing though.

Keep the ideas coming folks!!! Thanks!
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I like your design! Here it is a youtube video with a Santa face that fits great to the show
    [CENTER][B][U]Christmas Lights in Gefiroudi Serres (Greece):[/U]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/LightItGr"][COLOR="#000000"]You[/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]Tube[/COLOR][/URL] ~ [URL="http://vimeo.com/channels/lightitgr"]Vimeo[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Χριστουγεννιάτικο-φωτορυθμικό-θέαμα-στην-Ελλάδα/128399327228386"][COLOR="#000080"]Facebook[/COLOR][/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Χριστουγεννιάτικο-φωτορυθμικό-θέαμα-στην-Ελλάδα/128399327228386"][COLOR="#4B0082"]Light-It.gr[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk the fiber isn't striaght on it's "Side Glow" you feed light in one end and it shines out all sides just like rope light.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't put this project aside... in between sequencing sessions, I try to keep pen and pencil handy...

Preliminary layouts indicate that FaceBoard with LEDs would require 328 leds and a 24-channel controller. I'm thinking an LSD board would do the job nicely -- and you could control two units with one of budude's Ren48LSDs runnin at 5vdc. However, 328 leds is still a lot of soldering so I'm looking at some other options.

One concern is scalability. A single 8x10 circuitboard may not be large enough for a really good effect if viewed from a long distance. I might want to change the concept to sections of ropelight, not sure yet. I've thought about the EL wire, too... but with 24 channels, I'm not sure about the switching of EL circuitry.

Bottom line, this won't be ready for the current year but should be something to play with for 2012. Besides, it'll give me time to get back to working on the DumTriks board I've got about half-done...

We don't sleep much here at DIGWDF... but we have a lot of fun playing around! :mrgreen:
    www.diychristmas.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast