Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.0 Introduction Series - Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.0 Introduction Series - Part 2

Welcome back! This week, we're going to cover the foundation concepts that you'll be working with in 3.0. This week's topic applies to any user, both old and new, and next week we'll cover a couple more for the more in-depth user. If you're going to skip a week, don't make it this one, make it the next one.

On with the show...

Basic Concepts

For a basic configuration, there are three concepts that you need to be familiar with -- controllers, channels, and patching.

Controllers

Everyone knows what a controller is. It's the hardware that controls your lights (or whatever you're controlling). In this new version, controllers are something you create once and you don't touch again unless your hardware setup changes. You create controllers to model the hardware you use in real life. If you have a Ren-64 running your display, you create a 64-channel Renard controller in the software and configure the output module it uses accordingly. On this side of things, the hardware side, the changes aren't as sweeping or drastic. But, as an added feature, we now support the IDoLaundry interface. Use the appropriate module and you're set for marital bliss. Same goes for the IMakeToast and and IBrewCoffee interfaces, guaranteed to brighten every morning. After all, working on your Christmas display is so much easier when your spouse is happy, is it not? (Let's see just how many people read this...)

Channels

In Vixen 2.x, we only had the concept of channels -- the "channel" that you put values into was the same "channel" of data that was output to a controller later on. However, in 3.0, we are separating the concepts of "channels" and "outputs". A channel of data may go to a single controller output, but it doesn't have to. For example, we might have the "Left window wreath" channel or the "Megatree segment 7" channel. This conceptually models the display and better models a user's intent (e.g., "I want this to be applied to the left window wreath" as opposed to "I want this to be applied to the second Renard controller, 14th output"). Separately, there may be a Renard controller with outputs from "Renard-1" through to "Renard-32" that the channels get connected to. You decide where a channel of data will be output and you set it up once. Unlike 2.x, channels are no longer something that you create for each sequence. You create them for the display (again, modelling the display) and all sequences use the same collection of system-wide channels. So how do we link up channels and controllers?

Patching

To connect a channel to a controller output, we use a patch. This is simply a way to link them together. We do this because we may want to link up a single channel with multiple outputs, or we may want to move display items around. In Vixen 2.x, we would have to edit the controller channels and busily copy-paste everything around to match the intended result. Now, we just have to patch the channels to different outputs. (Another example may be wanting to sequence some data on channels that we don't have controllers for yet. We can add channels to the display, but not have them patched through to any outputs, and then add the outputs and patches later on.)

For editing, there is only one more concept to add --

Effects

As mentioned earlier, we are adding the concept of an "effect". There will be many different types of effects and developers in the community will be able to write more. These can be as simple as the effects we are used to from Vixen 2.x (such as a fade in, fade out, or a static level on or off), or more complex (like the spinning of a megatree, chase effects, pulse effects, etc). An effect can be applied to a number of channels and will generate the data for those channels based on the way the effect is configured. One of the things that makes these effects useful is that they represent your intent -- spin a tree, chase fade an arch, blinky flashy -- without requiring you to figure out how to execute that intent. If you apply a spin effect to your mega-tree, it doesn't matter if you have 32 channels in it or 128, the effect figures out how to make it happen. Again, you tell it "what" and it figures out "how". If you later add or remove channels to/from that mega-tree, you don't need to do anything with the effects you've applied to it, they will still work.

So how does this all tie together?

Pretty simply, actually.

You apply an effect to a channel and patching gets it to the right controller outputs. There's not much to it. You meant for the data to go to the second controller output and not the first one? Change the patch, the data will follow. It's supposed to fade from 100% to 50%, not 25%? Change the effect properties. Or what if you'd rather see that fade applied to the front door and not the garage door? Move the effect to a different channel.

One thing we've tried hard to accomplish is allowing more advanced users freedom while not requiring beginning users to have to worry about more advanced concepts. In the simplest configuration, you define a controller and let the administration program create channels and patches for you (with each controller output getting a single channel patched to it). It's ready to go at that point. But you don't have to start with controllers if you don't want to. You can work in a disconnected setting where you define channels and sequence data for those channels and later define controllers and patch them all up. It's completely up to you.

If you can understand the first three concepts, you can configure your display. If you can understand the concept of effects, you can also create sequences. For a basic display, you have everything you need to get started.

That's it for this week, so thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.0 Introduction Series - Part 2

I can hardly wait to make some yummy toast with my REN64 and Vixen 3 !

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk will be very pleased.. And Additionally.. I can't wait for 3.0 it's functionality seems to coincide much more with how my brain works which will be fantastic..
    Last edited by chelmuth; 07-30-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good one, KC! I read it!

The IDoLaundry interface will make it a lot easier around DIGWDF in the future...

This is pretty exciting. Vixen 3.0 is going to be a very special program. Thanks in advance for all your hard work!
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Yaw...Hoooo!!!!! It's going to hang the roof-line lights!!!!
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks KC and posse - 3.0 sounds awesome - however -

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Use the appropriate module and you're set for marital bliss.

Not gonna touch that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we please get a IBrewTea, it can be a polymorphic cousin of IBrewCoffee. In all seriousness, it sounds like your modeling the domain in a very well thought out manner. Thanks folks! I like the serial installments, keeps the appetite whetted each week. Leaves me wanting more! -- John

Post Thanks / Like

k look like i am putting my sequencing on hold until 3 is out .. it sound so good ....

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, Vixen 3.0 looks like it is going to make my sequencing life easier.

Great Job KC!
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Moving up to 512 channels and 45,000 lights of Blinky this year.
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide.

Post Thanks / Like

KC owes me a new keyboard. I was eating my toast and drinking my coffee when I read this and got coffee all up in my keyboard.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast