Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live music with show?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live music with show?

Has anyone had live music with their light show? Not for the season, but for a special night. I have a musician friend who suggested that it would be fun to play a live set one night with the lights. He has the talent to stay on time and play to his recorded music, so I don't think that would be an issue. I could have his Christmas cd sequenced ahead of time, and then let him rip, lol. He draws a crowd when he plays, so I would need to be prepared for that side of things. I think it could be a fun deal. Anything anyone can think of that would be a downfall to this type of plan?

Thank you
    Bruce
    Last edited by boyelroy11; 07-25-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: can't type

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Live music with show?

I was playing around with a MSGEQ7 late last year. It gives the level of input sound at 7 different levels. A new plugin could send that out to vixen. You would only have 7 channels (maybe more if you split it up), but you could map different segments of your display to the seven channels. He wouldn't have to play to a sequence, he could just play.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10024

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

That's fun, but way over my head

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Just set up a beat track and have it control one small light. If he cant keep time to that......... well no more said. I'm guessing any decent musician has used a strobe metronome.
    HA, somebody else is putting up my lights this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking I could pipe the show music into the drummer's headset. Viola, timekeeping. Right songs, too.

Post Thanks / Like

When you make this happen, be sure to capture it on video. I bet it will be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, it's if and when If he confirms, I will share details at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been considering setting up a show with my daughters show choir group from school. I would sequence one or two of their favorite holiday numbers and they would then perform it on our driveway while the lights perform their blink flashy.

It would require some additional stage lights and trust rigging or they would become silohettes.

Glad to hear someone else is considering live performances.

Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

i know that judy panscoat (who sings house on christmas street) did a sort of light tour and went and performed live, it may be helpful to talk to somebody who had her come to their display and perform. i dont know if she did it to the lights or just did her own show but there were quite a few houses she visited so if one of the people hosted her chimed in i'm sure they would have some good advice.

good luck sounds like a great idea and would love to see it !!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Chris Puglia
    [URL="http://christmasintownsend.com"]Christmas in Townsend[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's Marty Slack ('Christmas Utah') that does live nightly shows. He's been on several of the decorating TV shows, and he uses the 'little light' method: A single C7 controlled by a 'beat track' on his music stand.
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast