Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Trigger Input?

Post Thanks / Like

Default External Trigger Input?

Can the external trigger input be used yet? I remember seeing mention that the code wasn't available for this yet.

If/when it is ready, are there any specifications regarding the external input? (e.g., dry contact, +5VDC)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: External Trigger Input?

What timing; I'm working on that part of the code this week. I'm doing a complete rewrite of the Helix Network Supervisor application (V3) to improve the GUI and add several new capabilities. One of them is the trigger input.

The trigger can only be active whenever a show isn't playing. However, a playlist can be playing when the trigger is active. Once the trigger is pressed the playlist will stop playing and the show that is linked to the trigger will start playing once. After the show finishes the playlist will start again. At least that is how it is planned to work. As I said I'm working on that portion of the firmware this week.

The trigger will only require a dry contact closure. My plan at this time is the trigger won't start the show until it is pressed and released. This will prevent someone from holding/taping the trigger down and forcing the show to repeat over and over.

The rewrite is going slower than expected, but doesn't it always. I hope to have a good beta version (V3) out by the end of August. The current Version 2 of the Firmware and Helix Network Supervisor are stable. I've added a small improvement to the V2 firmware that adds error logging to the microSD card. I will keep the V2 firmware and software active this year for anyone that still would like to use them.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

As always, thanks for the quick reply.

No pressure On 9/24, the campground I have a seasonal site at has a haunted hay ride type of an event. I was hoping to be able to use the external trigger to start the sequence each time the wagon approaches. It will just be a short 2 minute sequence, though it would be intersting to be able to cycle between a few sequences. I understand that may not be possible/planned, but the ability to use an external trigger for even one sequence would be great.

I'll keep an eye out for the firmware rev. Thanks for all the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blantrip View Post
    As always, thanks for the quick reply.

No pressure On 9/24, the campground I have a seasonal site at has a haunted hay ride type of an event. I was hoping to be able to use the external trigger to start the sequence each time the wagon approaches. It will just be a short 2 minute sequence, though it would be intersting to be able to cycle between a few sequences. I understand that may not be possible/planned, but the ability to use an external trigger for even one sequence would be great.

I'll keep an eye out for the firmware rev. Thanks for all the work.
    When you talk about "cycle between a few sequences" do you mean that you would like for it to play a few sequences everytime it is triggered or do you mean that you would like it to play a random sequence everytime it is triggered or did I miss the boat all together?
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking more along the lines of a single sequence at a time, and either have them random or a playlist type of setup. So when the button is pressed the 1st time, sequence #1, press the button again, sequence #2, etc, untill the last sequence is played and then back to sequence #1.

Another idea is maybe the number of times the button is pressed corresponds to the sequence number. Press once = sequence #1, press twice = sequence #2, etc.

Just an idea.

I'd be happy with just having the external trigger starting the sequence until the loaded sequence(s) finish and then start them again the next time it is pressed.

Post Thanks / Like

You've given me some things to think about. I will see what I can do and still get it out before this fall. The press it once and play the first sequence, press it two times and play the second sequence... probably won't happen but I think I can make the first two options (random sequences or sequential sequences) work. I'll post updates as I get this working.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for it.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

gmbartlett,

Just curious if you completed the code for external triggers. Not pressuring... just asking...

Thanks,
    Lightman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    gmbartlett,

Just curious if you completed the code for external triggers. Not pressuring... just asking...

Thanks,
    Lightman
    Unfortunately, I've run into a couple of snags. The first one was I discovered that my basic architecture for the new Helix Network Supervisor (HNS) had a near fatal flaw. I've worked out a fix but I'm having to redo a lot of work. I'm able to reuse a lot of what I've already written but it is slow going.

The second snag involves my job. I originally didn't have any trips scheduled for this month. But due to a variety of things I have to go out of town three weeks this month. I'm taking my laptop with me but most of the time I'm too tired in the evenings to do much coding. Additionally I can't take a Helix with me so I'm unable to do any testing.

To answer your question I have the basic framework for the external trigger but when I tried to add the necessary changes to the HNS is when I found my fatal flaw. So I haven't been able to test anything yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get something out soon.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg,

I know what you mean regarding travel for work. I used to bring stuff to work on in the evenings, but usually was too tired to get any fun stuff done. I have done a lot of sequencing in airports during lay overs .

Not to worry...

Travel safe...

Brian (lightman)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast