Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flag pole mega tree?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flag pole mega tree?

I suppose I should have posted this before placing the order but, I didn't. ;)

Has anyone used a telescoping flag pole for their megatree? I've ordered this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-t...kit-95598.html

and am wondering if there are any gotchas or pitfalls I should be looking to avoid?

Thanks and a happy and safe 4th to everyone!

-joni-
    2013 Plans: Convert to pixels!
    http://amistosolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flag pole mega tree?

If you get high winds in your area aluminum might not be the best way to go. If you have the time and money I suggest the JUMP that Walter and Jackie Monkhouse designed. http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/ Very good sturdy build. Personally, I wish I could get a hold of an old Army antenna that I used to work with, they went up to 15 Meters! Now that would make a heck of a Mega Tree.

Post Thanks / Like

"California flag not included. Not available in Minnesota." I'm not sure if I should be offended by that.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on how well it locks into place - it will have to hold the weight of all your strings of lights at the top so take that into account. 20' is what I'm shooting for this year myself so I'm still looking around for the best option. That JUMP thing is pretty cool - I've seen several posts over the last year or two and everyone seems happy with it...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    "California flag not included. Not available in Minnesota." I'm not sure if I should be offended by that.
    Yeah, Ernie... they're always pickin' on us...
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar question and was worried about the strength of the HF one. We recently bought (hasn't arrived) a 20' telescoping pole from "Uncommon USA". We bought the heavy duty version because I too will use it for a mega tree at some point. The pole costs about 6 times the HF one, but after reading reviews of both, I wanted something better than the HF one. Lots of people say the HF one will go up, and stay up (corrosion messes up the "tabs" that keep it up) and that it will snap if a flag is left on it in high wind.

Unfortunately I haven't received mine yet, or made a mega tree with it yet, so I can't give you any first-hand information, but since you ordered yours, it would be nice if you'd update this thread when you've used it and have first hand experience. I will do the same, or likely start my own thread w/ the "Uncommon USA" flag pole we bought.
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi:
    20 feet of aluminum and 9+ pounds. Sounds kind of light to me.

However, guy lines are wonderful things. You can also use the guys to help support your lights. And, the light strings themselves make good guys, too.

Just a suggestion.
    Idun

Lotsa' Patience! (Some days you can't win, the others you lose, and forget about the rest)

Some mornings I wake up GRUMPY and other days I let her sleep!

Post Thanks / Like

My concern is more the telescoping part of it - - what exactly locks the joints in for each section? If it's just a simple friction fit or something then I'm thinking this will not hold up 100+ pounds of lights and the thing will "un" telescope...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FreqMan View Post
    If you get high winds in your area aluminum might not be the best way to go. If you have the time and money I suggest the JUMP that Walter and Jackie Monkhouse designed. http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/ Very good sturdy build. Personally, I wish I could get a hold of an old Army antenna that I used to work with, they went up to 15 Meters! Now that would make a heck of a Mega Tree.
    Those also come in a 9 Meter variety....I was thinking the same thing, but you cant even find them at DRMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    My concern is more the telescoping part of it - - what exactly locks the joints in for each section? If it's just a simple friction fit or something then I'm thinking this will not hold up 100+ pounds of lights and the thing will "un" telescope...
    I used one of those for a Mega tree when I lived in Fayettevile, NC. The biggest problem I ever had with it was some sections sticking and not coming down, with out extra effort.

It worked so well, that I have considered getting one here in Augusta.
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Moving up to 512 channels and 45,000 lights of Blinky this year.
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast