Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge tires, long arm lifts, low range gears,we know-flashy blinky things - we don't!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Huge tires, long arm lifts, low range gears,we know-flashy blinky things - we don

FYI g2ktcf is running a co-op for the Ren64 and the SSRez, and i know he plans on stocking part/board kits, you could pm him to see what he has.

The cheapest route would probably be the Ren64 and SSRez's or the Ren48LSD. The ren64/SSRez combo is an AC board while the Ren48LSD would run DC. It would probably be easiest to run AC otherwise, the best practice would be for each power source (each 12V car battery used) to have a common neutral to prevent different floating voltages. Not too hard to do, but one more wire you have to run.

The Ren48LSD has all of it's hardware on-board, and each RJ45 output has 4 channels (1 + and 1- for each channel makes 8 pins of a Cat5 Cable) It can probably handle enough current to fit your needs. This would require one cord from the 48LSD to each Jeep.
    Like said before, each jeep could have it's own EZ and there would be the same Cat5 Usage.

Not counting lights figure on spending maybe $4-5 per channel. So maybe $16-20 per jeep.
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Huge tires, long arm lifts, low range gears,we know-flashy blinky things - we don

For this statement "It would probably be easiest to run AC otherwise, the best practice would be for each power source (each 12V car battery used) to have a common neutral to prevent different floating voltages. Not too hard to do, but one more wire you have to run." - what exactly would each 12V battery be powering? The boards or the lights?
    Price wise this is sounding better than what I had imagined. This is looking do-able.

Post Thanks / Like

The connections go:
    Code:
    PowerSource ===> Controller Board ====> Lights
    So if you're using the SSRez, you'd wire 110V AC to the power In on the SSRez, and hook the lights up to the Channel OUT of the SSRez.
    Similar for the Ren48LSD. 12V in, lights to the outputs.
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for such stupid questions but this:
    So if you're using the SSRez, you'd wire 110V AC to the power In on the SSRez, and hook the lights up to the Channel OUT of the SSRez.
    Similar for the Ren48LSD. 12V in, lights to the outputs.
    means 1 DC o AC inverter? (cigarette lighter plug to home receptacle type?) The SSRez in each jeep would hook up to this. The Cat5 will be between the main jeep with computer and Ren64 to each of the SSRez? Correct?

This option means in a jeeper's terms:
    The Ren48LSD has all of it's hardware on-board, and each RJ45 output has 4 channels (1 + and 1- for each channel makes 8 pins of a Cat5 Cable) It can probably handle enough current to fit your needs. This would require one cord from the 48LSD to each Jeep.
    Like said before, each jeep could have it's own EZ and there would be the same Cat5 Usage.

1 main Ren48LSD powered by 12V meaning jeep battery and it would be enough power to run each SSRez to each jeep? The lights at each jeep too?

I am trying to make sure I am understanding since I have to relay this to the group.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I think i've provided a few too many options... It would go

Code:
    (each => is a cat5 cable, each --> is an extension cord)
    Computer => Ren64 => SSRez 

Ren64 => SSRez   --> CH1
    110V --> SSRez   --> CH2
             SSRez   --> CH3
             SSRez   --> CH4
    I'm sure there's a diagram around there on the wiki page for the SSRez or the Ren64, i just don't have it handy at the moment. I'll look when I get home from work, until then, forgive my crappy ascii art.

The 110V source can either be an inverter in each car, or one for all of the cars (and you run an extension cord to each car.

The Ren48LSD is a completely different topology in that it's 12V DC and you need to use 12V DC lights (less common) and would power this directly from a car battery. The more I think about it, i'd stay away from 12V, but some others might chime in with a more elegant solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for such stupid questions but this:
    [I]So if you're using the SSRez, you'd wire 110V AC to the power In on the SSRez, and hook the lights up to the Channel OUT of the SSRez.
    1 DC o AC inverter? (cigarette lighter plug to home receptacle type?) The SSRez in each jeep would hook up to this. The Cat5 will be between the main jeep with computer and Ren64 to each of the SSRez? Correct?

I am trying to make sure I am understanding since I have to relay this to the group.

The above is now correct. The Ren48LSD DC board is both a controller board and SSRs in one. So it hooks to the laptop for control and has a 12 v input for lights and 48 outputs for each channel (12vdc). This would require 12vdc lights and maybe too long of cable runs to each jeep. Unless each jeep has a Ren48LSD daisy chained. The cost and setup of lights and setup of software make this harder for someone new having to answer to several other peoples questions. Very doable but not ideal for this situation IMHO.
    BTW the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Brian
    Last edited by Skunberg; 06-19-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

OK - this is starting to make sense (scary). Thanks Brian and Chiloutdocdoc for the explanations in simple terms.
    Right now I am leaning to the Ren64 with an SSRez in each jeep. I found the schematic on the wiki and also the diagrams for soldering. I have been communicating on the 4x4 forum and have a volunteer for soldering and also donation of bulk Cat5 cable made to any length we need. I really think once this starts moving along the 4x4 volunteers will step up - they usually do and are a great bunch!

The last part that isn't making sense, and it might be because what I have may not be the right kind but, the FM tranmitter. Mine actually holds an MP3 player and I am thinking I need one that somehow communicates with the computer instead. I found the thread on the 6.88 transmitter that can be made to broadcast 250', that part excites me....I need to investigate this part more.
    I put up for vote on the 4x4 sites which songs (I gave them 3 choices. If I have to listen to these over and over, they better be ones I like).

I just want to thank you again everyone. Your help so far has gone above and beyond my expectations and cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of this.
    Linda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klm View Post
    ...donation of bulk Cat5 cable made to any length we need. ...
    Solid Cat 5 does not like to be coiled and un-coiled a great deal. It looks like you are in Michigan and that cable will quickly get fragile in the cold. For the hook-ups from controller to SSRs (Jeep to Jeep), I would suggest stranded cable of some sort. Either Cat 5 or some multi-conductor hookup cable. Otherwise, make them easily changeable and keep a bunch of extra cable ready to go.

As for the other stuff, I think a Central Controller with SSRs is the way to go.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

The FM transmitter is plugged into your computer instead of the MP3 player. Most of the cheap ones don't perform well after 10-20 feet. You can search this site and find many different threads on this subject, with many different paths people have taken to get the the same point (FM broadcast vixen show). They mention lots of different hardware, homemade, bought and modified, and off the shelf ready to go. Research and see what you like best. I haven't researched this as I have a hand me down unit that I re-purposed.
    If you gave them three choices, you should like them all? LOL

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klm View Post
    I just want to thank you again everyone. Your help so far has gone above and beyond my expectations and cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of this.
    Linda
    Linda, I found much of the same response when I joined here back in 2008 wanting to make some lights blink, and I got welcomed with some amazing people, and made quite a few friends, I quickly realized, people are here and are so great because they want to. Nobody's forcing us, we're just so crazy we spend half of our lives here. Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

PS I'd ask to join in the Parade, but i'm also on the other side of the country, and driving a 4x4 (4 wheel, 4 door) Ford Focus, not a jeep RIMSHOT

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast