Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PropController Serial Configuration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PropController Serial Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by chilloutdocdoc View Post
    Do you want to start laying out some of the various commands, I could start working on a GUI, would be safe if it used a .net implementation since everybody here probably already has it so that they can use vixen.

Anybody else want to help with the GUI, preference between C# or Java?
    I will start figuring out the protocol and the associated commands. As far as the GUI I'm not a big Java fan, probably because I'm a windows guy, so my vote is for C#.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll scratch something together in C# then. I'm looking at starting as soon as possible, but with finals this week, it'll probably be this weekend, would you be handling the propeller side of things?
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I'm dating myself, but snmp over ip over ppp? Or whatever the more popular/current replacement for snmp might be.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Or alternatively, a web interface?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

the thought of a web interface would be extremely nice, but i thought that would potentially consume a socket, causing a tradeoff in channels?
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

the thought of a web interface would be extremely nice, but i thought that would potentially consume a socket, causing a tradeoff in channels?
    jstjohnz's E680 controller is configured this way. If I recall correctly, it does consume a socket when it is on. Like the E680, it does not always need to be on, only when you need to run the configuration. The E680 has a switch that when pressed on boot/reset turns on the web server. There is also a status LED that lets you know the web server is on.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erm213 View Post
    jstjohnz's E680 controller is configured this way. If I recall correctly, it does consume a socket when it is on. Like the E680, it does not always need to be on, only when you need to run the configuration. The E680 has a switch that when pressed on boot/reset turns on the web server. There is also a status LED that lets you know the web server is on.

Erik
    Oh! Didn't know that was possible. Hey DynamoBen what about the idea of a web interface? I think most people like that better. It could also be done remotely of course (you would have to do hit the switch, but it wouldn't require having to remove the controller from the outdoors)

There would have to be a "reset to default" incase the ip address just happened to become unreachable.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the project page for the E680.

http://sandevices.com/e680.html

Erik
    Last edited by erm213; 04-24-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to post the link.

Post Thanks / Like

What if all the capabilities/configuration of the device were stored in a single file. When you poll the device, it would dump the file using whatever protocol you decide. Once you get the file on the host, you could use whatever language you wanted to manipulate the file. The file would tell you all the capabilities/configuration of the device and those you could use on the host side (GUI or command line) to check for values that were out of line as you configure the device. After your configuring is done, your app verifies there are no "brick the device" values and then sends the file back to the device to be stored using your protocol. This would put all the real work on the host app and leave the prop with only the need to read and write the config file and respond to a valid poll and receive new config file requests.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! Didn't know that was possible. Hey DynamoBen what about the idea of a web interface? I think most people like that better. It could also be done remotely of course (you would have to do hit the switch, but it wouldn't require having to remove the controller from the outdoors)

There would have to be a "reset to default" incase the ip address just happened to become unreachable.
    A couple of things to consider. First, it this won't work on the DMX version, since there is no Ethernet connection. Second, it does burn up a socket which isn't a big deal until you need it (I'm not a fan of a odd reset method to get the page to appear). Third, when/if you run DHCP you need a way to find out the assigned IP address. Fourth, creating a custom webpage that contains all the different combinations of options could get tricky.

For the record I have a web configuration already, it eats up a lot of code space and has been a challenge to maintain as I swap different code objects in and out.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast