Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Affortable Snowfall Tubes (FAST)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally Affortable Snowfall Tubes (FAST)

I've been working on an idea for inexpensive snowfall tubes.. What I've come up with so far consists of :
    1-PIC 16F688
    8-51Ohm 1/8Watt Resistors
    1-10KOhm 1/8Watt Resistor
    56-Pure White SuperFlux LEDs (Or Any LED, Depending on Vf the 8 resistors value might need to change)
    My plan is not to create a PCB for these but take strips of white Formica and drill the holes for components. I know tedious but the idea is inexpensive and I've got time.

My plan is to power 1 tube per Ren48LSD Channel. Simply supply 5V to the tubes and they do a "fall".. I've written some Firmware for the PIC. I have 2 working versions. One is straight forward and loops through 28 times lighting 2 LED's each time through the loop with delays. The second is a variation with a TMR0 interrupt triggering the next run though the loop. Both Firmwares start with the fall going fast and then slowing as it "falls" I'm attaching the Schematic & Firmware for what I have currently working. Ideally I'd like to get it to a point where there are a few configurable options in the firmware such as setting a flag for maybe a "dimming tail" or other ideas. I'd like some input on the software and if possible some help with the code. I'm 1 week into learning assembly, so I know I've got a ways to go.

Here is a video of the LED's on my breadboard..
    (Uploaded at 11pm on 4-18-11.. Vimeo says it might take til midnight to convert. If it doesn't work try back)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chelmuth; 04-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finally Affortable Snowfall Tubes (FAST)

Very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product and total cost as well.
    1st year - Christmas 2011

Need to build:
    [SIZE="1"]1 15' mega/spiral tree - 0% completed
    10 snowflakes - 100% designed - 0% completed
    15 Giant plastic bulbs (need to add lights) - 0% completed
    6 ren24SS's - 0% completed[/SIZE]

Songs to sync:
    [SIZE="1"]5 would be nice - 0% completed

Progress is looking 100% bad...[/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Your timing stinks... About the time you were waiting for the Video to upload and convert, I was finishing my Taxes and beginning to pull out all my Blinky Flashy stuff. I told myself that I had to get my Taxes done before working on my two new projects: RGB Sparkle Balls and Snow Fall tubes. My tubes were based on BobKeyes design. very similar to yours, but a simple 12 LED solution driven directly off the PIC.

I like the formica idea. For my My prototype I cut a strip of a piece pegboard and pushed the LEDs from the back.

Did you write your code from Scratch? I'm very impressed. Not sure I coudl handle the Matrix stuff.

If you haven't seen it, here's the post where Bob's starts:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...970#post107970

No matter what happens, I think most of the DIY designs could use this type of LED. Where did you get yours and what was the cost? Do you think it makes sense to do a Bulk Grup Buy? I struggle at pulling the trigger on LED purchases. I'm never sure on what I'm buying. I have been using a bunch of LEDs that were sold as replacement for LED strings. I bought every replacment pack the 3 Walmarts near me had for like .15 per pack of 5. They are not as bright as any LED I have seen in a tube, and have strange viewing angles, so I would like to use something different.
    Last edited by kychristmas; 04-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I have been investigating this same type of design, but never finished. I really like the idea and have looked online at some of the pre-made units but did not like the way they were triggered.

I would gladly be up for a group buy on this one. What length are you thinking of obtaining? And to be able to trigger it from Vixen is the best part.

Please keep me informed.
    tweist
    736 Channels
    65+ Wireless Ren controllers
    [COLOR="#0000FF"](2013) 25+ houses[/COLOR]
    (2012) 20 houses total
    (2011) 13 houses total
    2012 video
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KVM_EPKYMM[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I had a chance to look at the Schematic, my brain hurts. It looked like a matrix of some kind, but when I look at the mixed orientation of the LEDs, I don't see it. Can you explain the concept? Sorry, I'm a bit dense.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

The LED's are CharliePlexed not regular Matrix. Basically you use 8 pins connected to each other as follows with 2 leds one forward biased and one reversed.. so you get 2 LED's per connection then when you reverse the high and low of any pair the other LED lights..so wires go from
    1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8
    2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, 2-8
    3-4, 3-5, 3-6, 3-7, 3-8
    4-5, 4-6, 4-7, 4-8
    5-6, 5-7, 5-8
    6-7, 6-8
    7-8...

This gives you 28 paths and when you put 2 LEDs on each path you get 56 total LED's..

The LED's I plan to use are the Pure White SuperFlux LED's for the superstrips that tjeitzer (sp) just did a group buy for.. Since we ordered 10k'ish the price ended up being 4$ for 60.. so for a final cost I'm looking at $4 LEDs, $.10 Resistors, $.14 PIC Socket, $1.50 PIC16F688, Optional RJ45Jack for Power Connection $.80.. Plus what ever the Formica costs if not free. and i'm thinking the 4' Florescent projector tubes which are ~$4.. So I'm thinking easily less the $14 total possibly less that $10 if you only make 2ft tubes..

Yes I did write the code from scratch.. That was a learning process (read "much banging head on wall going why the $#%@ doesn't it do what i'm telling it to) considering I'd never touched Assembly before 2 weeks ago.

My ideal length was either 2 or 4ft depending on how the LED spacing looks once I get the actual LED's i'm going to be using in place..
    Last edited by chelmuth; 04-19-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that I'd like to get ahold of that I&%$#%$^ guy "Charlie" (Charles Allen) and wire his arms and legs up in opposing polarities. It's called Charlieplexing, and it uses a minimal number of output pins to control a large number of LEDs. Theory says you can control N * (N-1) LEDs with N pins. So for 8 pins you control 8 * 7 = 56 LEDs. You only need to keep all potential paths below the forward voltage that will light the LEDs. WIERD guy!!

See this Instructable for a pretty good explanation: http://www.instructables.com/id/Char...s--The-theory/

Last edited by WireWrap; 04-19-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Longfellow said that in this world a man must be either anvil or hammer.
    But some are neither, they are merely bellows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great explanation guys. I have heard of Charlie-Plexing, but I didn't understand it like that. My head still hurts! So in your schematic, how are they numbered?

I bought a few extra in TJs GB, but not that many.

9. Thanks dvc2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    So in your schematic, how are they numbered?
    Looking at the resistors they are in order.. 1-8 .. I used the same pins as the channel outputs for the renard software as I was originally going to mod some renard code but decided against it and rolled my own.. Maybe this schematic is easier to read?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chelmuth; 04-19-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out pages 8 and 9 of this for a good schematic and explanation of charlie-plexing. This really helped be get my head around it.
    http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.c...d-MidiTree.pdf
    5 houses using:
    Renard 64, 3 Ren24's, Ren8
    4 E682 pixel controllers
    2,300 WS2801 pixel nodes
    1200 dumb RGB
    Sequenced using LSP 2.5

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast