Thread: Help: inpout.dll

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help: inpout.dll

I need to run a program I have that uses inpout.dll before I fire up Vixen, or else the parallel port doesn't get written to. How can I avoid having to run that first?

Post Thanks / Like

What controller are you using for Vixen? The inpout.dll is in the root directory for Vixen, so if you are using a Vixen plugin it should all work fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a basic 8 ch parallel port controller. I see the inpout.dll in the vixen folder. I aslo have it in the windows system folder from prior work. But my problem still stands. Like I said, once I start and stop my other program other that uses inpout.dll, evrything is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying that you have another program on your computer that uses inpout.dll to control the parallel port which you want to run at the same time as vixen? Doesn't sound unusual for your other program to lock the parallel port to prevent other programs from accessing it at the same time.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

No. I have another program that uses inpout.dll to control the port for something else. It doesn't run at the same time. But I need to run it, then stop it, before I run Vixen, or the port doesn't work. Like Vixen isn't calling up inpout.dll.

Post Thanks / Like

No, what is more likely happening is that your other program is locking the port to prevent other programs (such as vixen) from accessing it. I think that the problem is that the other program is keeping the port locked even when it is not using it. If it's locked by your other program, there isn't anything that Vixen can do to break the lock, as far as I know.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

No, you're mis-understanding. The other program is NOT locking the port. I NEED to run it and end it before Vixen will work!
    If I start my computer, then Vixen, the port does nothing. I end Vixen, run my other program that talks to the port ( my controller starts flashing), end the program, then re-start Vixen, the port now responds. By the way, the other program writes to an A/D that controls a LED spotlight aimed on my CPU, The harder the CPU works, the brighter the fan & heatsink glow. Looks cool.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really strange, because I haven't heard anyone else having that problem.

Moderator, could you move this topic over to one of the Vixen forums to make sure that KC sees this? Perhaps the Vixen/General forum.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that you are both right. This other program could be running a process at startup that locks the port and it doesn't get released until you run the master program. When you close this program is unlocks the port so Vixen can use it. Just a guess. See if the Task Manager has anything running (after startup before you actually run it) that sounds like it is related to the program.