Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! With simple ZC transformer (WJohn style).

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP! With simple ZC transformer (WJohn style).

Okay, I'm at my wit's end... I've wikied until I can't wiki no more and I'm begging for help. :roll:

I bought a grinch/ren-c combo with the simple ZC transformer (WJohn style) from bmcgeeny. Great guy, fast ship. :smile:

Trouble is, when I unpacked and examined things, the ZC transformer had some loose wires on the bottom of the board. I've looked at the Ren-T schematics 'till I'm blue in my face trying to puzzle out where the loose wires go and I'm stumped. ;)

All I see is the transformer (12.6v) two diodes (I'm guessing) and the RJ45 jacks. Doesn't seem like alot of parts, but then maybe you don't need that many??? :confused:

The loose wires are connected to the two RJ45 jacks respectively as per the little diagram I drew below. The view is of the *bottom* of the PCB and shows all the installed components and how they're connected.

Can someone tell me where the missing wires (marked with ?) connect? The way it is now, the RJ45 jacks are not connected to anything and I know that can't be right.

Also, which RJ45 jack is the COM in from the PC and which goes to the Ren-C?

Any help very humbly accepted- I'm no expert, but I can solder a basic board.

Pic:

CIRCUT.JPG
    [I]"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."[/I]

[B]2008: [/B] LASOC Box (Non Controlled - 6 channels)
    [B]2009: [/B] Modded LASOC Box (ON/OFF - 6 channels)
    [B]2010: [/B] 2x Modded LASOC Box (ON/OFF - 12 channels)
    [B]2011: [/B] Grinch/REN-C (Fully Dimable - 64 channels)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HELP! With simple ZC transformer (WJohn style).

To get you going here your blue wire from transformer goes to the Ren-c ( ZC ) input. The light blue is ground to the Ren-c. Not sure what the other RJ45 were used for. You will also need a lead from your PC ( serial ) to the Ren- c, use the Wiki for that. Hope that helps. JK.

Post Thanks / Like

First here is a thread that describes it pretty well.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...n-T-Compatible

You have the picture drawn right. The simple Ren-T is shown here

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...Y_INSTRUCTIONS

Go about half way down to see the drawing. The only difference between the drawing andwhat you have is that I did not put a DB9 jack on the board. I used a RJ45 for simpicity. That way all you need is DB9 at the computer and you can run a standard cat 5 to it. I used a serial port with a 232 to 485 converter and then a DB9 to cat 5.

All your using the ac power for is to provide ZC signal to the Ren C. The only other signal is the Ground and the Tx from the PC.

The Grinch is powered by the small wall wart that has the jack on it to plug into the Grinch. The Ren C gets its 5v power from the return line on the grinch. You will note there are 4-6 very short cat 5 lines Use the shortest you can. Test them also before installing them. I guess I never thought about sending a 232-485-DB9 along. But you can also just wire it with an old DB9 male and a cat 5 conector. You'll have to sort out the GD and TX wires and make sure you have them connected to the right numbers on the RJ45, but I've done it both ways.

Hope this helps

Im not sure what the loose wires are, but are they the same colors and look like they may have broken when I packed them?

Edit. Looking at your drawing and the wiki drawing you can see the center tap, pins 1,2,5, on the output RJ45 and the PC ground all tie together. TX from the computer goes to pin 4 and the 12.6 rectified voltage goes to pins 7,8
    Last edited by bmcgeeny; 03-10-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Changes
    HA, somebody else is putting up my lights this year.

Post Thanks / Like

You also asked which is the PC input to the Ren-c. With the Ren in front of you with Leds to the right, your connection will be top left.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. And bmcgeeny, thanks for the links. I was trying like crazy to find it in the wiki!

Alright, I believe I have it sorted out:

CIRCUT.JPG

It looks like I don't have to use the second RJ45 at all if I add a male DB9 where needed. I think I'll do that rather than the CAT5 route, though that would work as well.

Let me know if that looks okay?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, hooked up as the new diagram shows, direct from RJ45 to DB9-Com port. No HEARTBEAT!!! ARRRRRGH!

Post Thanks / Like

Obviouse first, you have 5v power to Ren-c, yes. Forget the PC with just power we should have most lights on if zero cross not perfect. ( I am talking about the Ren lights by the way ).

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, REN-C is getting power via the grinch. Power light on the Grinch is on, Power light on the REN-C is on. No heartbeat light no matter what the devil I do!

Now, question... this is on a laptop comm port- is that gonna cut it? Also, will the heartbeat not show if the baud rate/ect on the REN-c chip is set to a certain rate? I'm using the standard 57600 settings as per the wiki, but I don't know if the REN-C chip was programmed with that or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the ren c is programed for 57600
    HA, somebody else is putting up my lights this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you injecting the zero cross wires on the Ren-c. With NO other connections other than power/zero we should have heartbeat ETC. Check resistor R1 -R9 to see which connection bmcqeeny used to inject the zero cross.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast