Thread: 110v transformer out of a discarded plug pack

Post Thanks / Like

Default 110v transformer out of a discarded plug pack

My fellow Americans

(Okay I am actually from New Zealand)
    I was wondering if I could ask one of you kind people to ship me a 110v transformer broken out of a wall wart(I believe thats what you call them over there)

If anyone has moved to using larger transformers and has an excess of these things lying around the garage like I do with our 230v ones.

I bought a BatteryMinder 12112 from the states at a cost of US$80 including shipping to New Zealand and The step down transformer I plugged it into failed and the transformer inside the BatteryMinder had a little smoke come out the front.

I have opened it up and the circuit iteself looks fine and I am told by the helpdesk at BattryMinder that the transformer itself has a fuse in it that would have blown.

They offered me an upgrade for $34.95 excluding shipping (which to New Zealand would likely be about US$30)

I can't really justify spending over US$145 just to charge a 12 volt battery.
    US$80 was a stretch but supposedly they can recondition failing batteries also so I could recoup some money that way.

So I was hoping if anyone had a transformer discarded I could pay for shipping via paypal and get one sent over.

The charger outputs 12v at 1 amp. Would that be too much for a standard wallwart?

Anyway, this is just a long shot, but thanks for taking the time to have a look

Steve
    <a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">([IMG]https://2881648860440898350-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/yatesfamilywebsite/vixensig192.gif?attachauth=ANoY7coHQlbVcJaFiMU4V7JrNBSM4FlneuPA5QnAmzyRC4M6ONTcEqu6GozeGHGOYkETW-mC5xdVPkBgjF99m4buHTlVn65IovMV_jE7YPpEpFmLr3xqJQCk6YFtxsPDmgPt3c9aoNUGPhIM7nutdxnyIpDK3fpqOH1IX3C-vZs8TYojcIGUdxQmuYNKMOCq5yMthsEMP0IBQRifQxDUJ8aNyh_5ypEzlw%3D%3D&attredirects=0[/IMG]
    3 x Grinch with DMX dimming converter and TigerDC48, LEDTRIKS in progress)</div>
    Now a supporting member. I decided it was time to give something back to the forum that has helped me so much.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 110v transformer out of a discarded plug pack

Let me check my stash, there is a good chance I have a 12 VDC that can put out 1 amp.

Thanks,

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I have one, send me a PM and we will work out the details.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Erik

I definitely need 12vac 1.5a.

Cheers for looking
    Steve
    <a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">([IMG]https://2881648860440898350-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/yatesfamilywebsite/vixensig192.gif?attachauth=ANoY7coHQlbVcJaFiMU4V7JrNBSM4FlneuPA5QnAmzyRC4M6ONTcEqu6GozeGHGOYkETW-mC5xdVPkBgjF99m4buHTlVn65IovMV_jE7YPpEpFmLr3xqJQCk6YFtxsPDmgPt3c9aoNUGPhIM7nutdxnyIpDK3fpqOH1IX3C-vZs8TYojcIGUdxQmuYNKMOCq5yMthsEMP0IBQRifQxDUJ8aNyh_5ypEzlw%3D%3D&attredirects=0[/IMG]
    3 x Grinch with DMX dimming converter and TigerDC48, LEDTRIKS in progress)</div>
    Now a supporting member. I decided it was time to give something back to the forum that has helped me so much.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.