Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Obtaining the parts needed...

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Obtaining the parts needed...

You know, WayneJ made the SS Series for the ones the just want Step 1, Step2....etc. I used RL's works to create the REN64XC and the SSRez in the same spirit as I do not think you need to know how the thing works (buti I love to know so don't include me lol). What I would love to see is for someone to say "this is not mentioned in the wiki" and I for one would try to get it added as quickly as possible (of assuming its small thing and not a complete re-write). I love what RL did with the SS series and if someone does not want to do "research" the perhaps we, as a community, steer them to the SS and REN64XC controllers.

Sort of like "are you the type of person who wants step by step...or do you prefer to do the reseach yourself" would be the first question. If the answer is "yes, step by step" then the solution for this person is the SS series or the Renard 64 one. If they answer otherwise, then they have many more options. I think we all need to remember that the electronics side of this is SMALL...its the setup, the sequencing and the building of props that is hard.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    You know, WayneJ made the SS Series for the ones the just want Step 1, Step2....etc. I used RL's works to create the REN64XC and the SSRez in the same spirit as I do not think you need to know how the thing works (buti I love to know so don't include me lol). What I would love to see is for someone to say "this is not mentioned in the wiki" and I for one would try to get it added as quickly as possible (of assuming its small thing and not a complete re-write). I love what RL did with the SS series and if someone does not want to do "research" the perhaps we, as a community, steer them to the SS and REN64XC controllers.

Sort of like "are you the type of person who wants step by step...or do you prefer to do the reseach yourself" would be the first question. If the answer is "yes, step by step" then the solution for this person is the SS series or the Renard 64 one. If they answer otherwise, then they have many more options. I think we all need to remember that the electronics side of this is SMALL...its the setup, the sequencing and the building of props that is hard.
    i agree but i think everyone's abilities are different so any which steps can be harder for some then others... for me since i am new to this i am simply in love with the ss series but soon learning to love to create my own or use more complicated not so step by step boards. With Dirks step by step guide on how he did it i am learning to etch my own boards as for now i need a breadboard to configure what it is i want to do .

Your right though the first question or in the first series of questions you can ask do you want a paint by numbers or a (here's the paint draw me the picture) type boards. more so like we always ask, what is it you want to do ? your goals?

Keep in mind some people joining this forum are experienced and/or have assembled different forum signature boards
    Last edited by griffixdc; 02-05-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammer
    [B][I]MY Favorite Links:[/I][/B]
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"][COLOR="red"]Christmas Wiki[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/dancingofthelights"][COLOR="red"]My Facebook Page[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.calvertimage.com"][COLOR="red"]My Website[/COLOR][/URL]
    144 - Renard48lsd channels
    272 - channels in use
    40,000 lights synchronized and static

50% assembled and displayed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    There are a lot of people (myself included) who like to search out information on our own, and don't like the idea that we have to continually ask questions all of the time. It's a slow process, it's often difficult to frame the questions in a way that others understand, and in many (other) places on the internet results in an 'RTFM' response (or coming against gurus who are very stingy at sharing their knowledge). It's my preference that the information be 'discoverable' by drilling more than two or three levels down. It's just a different style of learning.

That said, there is so much information here, and it changes so rapidly, that it is hard to know how to organize it. And even if you have a scheme to organize it that others will like, it is a lot of work to do so.
    I am also one of the people that likes to find the information I need if I can but I will also ask if I cannot find what I am looking for.

There is a ton of information here, you are right. The organization/categorization is the hard part but RL helped fix some of that in the wiki recently.

Yea I agree that would pretty much need to be the first question.
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

There have been a lot of wonderful thoughts expressed over the past couple days... I'll toss a few of mine out into the fray as well.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is an incredible amount of information here, and that it changes rapidly, and consequently, is extremely difficult to organize into a succinct format. And I agree that different people learn in different ways. And I agree that the pre-existing electrical and/or electronic skill and understanding levels vary widely as well -- not only with new members, but with existing members, too.

Consider that most people who open a technical book go either to the TOC or the Index first. They often will jump right in and look for the specific topic that interests them when, more often than not, the book has several pages in its foreward that can go miles to help the reader (a) understand how the book is organized, (b) abbreviations and other nomenclature used and (c) guidance for the multiple skill levels of potential readers. Ask yourself, "when was the last time I read the foreward first?"

I myself am guilty here, but I've learned over the years that there's valuable information there.

So, "how the book is organized" is much akin to "how the site is organized," is it not? Now I'm not taking shots at anyone here -- only commenting that forum-based sites are, by their very design, fraught with organizational anarchy. That is, after all, the very nature of a "bulletin board," which is what DIYC is. A very good and large one, but a bulletin board nonetheless. The most recent "bulletin" is listed on top for no other reason than it's easier.

Categorizing postings by general forum topic is a good idea, of course. Categorizing within forum topic is generally by thread title. After that, things get pretty messy rather quickly. Now that the search function is working, things should settle down much more. However, search alone isn't the answer. For example, as many of you know, I've written quite a bit about the Ren-W. A search for Ren-W returns nothing, although a search for Ren-W Wireless Converter returns multiple listings, probably because the word "wireless" is part of the search key.

What are solutions? Well, being able to tag a message instead of tagging a thread might be very helpful, but I'm not sure if that's a possibility. It's just another form of indexing, and rules would have to be assigned to it, perhaps no more than 4 words or X number of characters, for example. There might be other software-related mechanisms we don't know about -- perhaps vBulletin has lots of them.

But eventually, it all comes down to us, and using our heads, and "common sense." But that's a dilemma too because after all, what is "common" to one person may not be "common" to another. So I go back to the idea of a foreward. When a member joins, perhaps a "foreward page" could be automatically sent to him/her as a PM. I've coded web sites myself and I know it's not that hard to do. But it could gain an awful lot of mileage and answer an awful lot of questions right from the get-go.

When things have settled down for Brian, I wouldn't be surprized if he puts a button along the menu bar titled "New Members-Click HERE!" and lead them through a series of helpful tips -- not rules and regulations (although some of that is certainly appropriate). Perhaps a paragraph on "How to title a new thread" might be helpful so that we don't encounter so many really dead ones that go nowhere... or "How to get in on a group buy" or even "How to organize and run a group buy" might be worthwhile. After all, how many times have we seen postings that ask, "Where do I get this board or that board?"

Anyway, just some random thoughts I'll toss against the refrigerator door... for no other reason than to see what sticks...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Dirk!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all that Dave.

I am thinking about making a quiz for newbies/beginners to help them decide where to start. Just not sure whether it should be a series of wiki pages or if I should make a series of webpages. Ooo, maybe I should use AJAX.

Not sure of all the questions for it but I would make a new thread for it if you guys think it would be a good thing to have.
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    //toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrd View Post
    I agree with all that Dave.

I am thinking about making a quiz for newbies/beginners to help them decide where to start. Just not sure whether it should be a series of wiki pages or if I should make a series of webpages. Ooo, maybe I should use AJAX.

Not sure of all the questions for it but I would make a new thread for it if you guys think it would be a good thing to have.
    I would be interested in seeing a draft form of this...and the Wiki is the correct place for it.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested in seeing a draft form of this...and the Wiki is the correct place for it.
    Ok, I'll see what I can think up and look through the wiki. (beginners guide, 7 steps to selecting a controller, etc) And post back with a draft, you think a new thread in "The Beginning" would be best?
    DIYC Links:

Ricky, Jrd

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ

//toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456