Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Obtaining the parts needed...

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Obtaining the parts needed...

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    This wasn't an intrusion, please don't let anyone discourage you in your efforts to improve what we have here. You made some valid points, and I appreciate them.
    Same here...the Wiki info could use some re-organization and link updates. That is why I documented the REN64 in the same manner that the REN SS series was done in. Now, if you want a "set" system, then these are your best bets. Anything else is going to require some digging.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    Same here...the Wiki info could use some re-organization and link updates.
    Agreed, having an "all call" developers to update the wiki and make it current and adding contact info for each project is worth while.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for myself, but my post was in no way meant to be critical. I definitely see how it was read that way. My apologies if that's the way it sounded. It is certainly amazing how far the documenation has come and you guys continue to make improvements. I guess the point I was trying to make was that it will never be easy point and click answers. And I don't think we should strive for that. It's simply my opinion, so please never let that "discourage" you. I'm just a user and provide no designs or documentation.

Certainly, Twinkleclaus if far beyond me when it comes to this stuff and I would never discourage any new member from hanging around.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    ROFLMAO!!! I love it! And I couldn't agree with Kelly more! Somebody has probably posted the "rules" of DIY, but it should include something like these "Five Rules of DIY..."

Rule #1: DIY means Do It Yourself. That means don't go looking to everybody else to the answer to your questions. Figure it out.

Rule #2: In figuring it out, you will have to do a lot of research. It's part of the DIY experience. Just like painting a room in your house, you have to first figure out how much paint to buy, and what kind, and what color, what kind of brushes or rollers, what kind of drop cloths to protect the floor and/or furniture, etc. Sometimes it takes a pencil and paper to do the math. Sometimes it takes multiple trips to multiple stores before you actually get started.

Rule #3: Don't expect that DIY is going to be less expensive. It may be, but then again, it may not be. Just keep your wallet and credit card handy because you'll use them more than once. What you CAN expect is that DIY can be more fun and more fulfilling than hiring a pro to do it for you. With DIY, YOU take ownership of the project. Nobody else. It's YOU.

Rule #4: Expect that DIY is going to take more time than hiring a pro to do it for you. There's a learning curve to every step of the DIY experience. You can't buy it. You have to earn it.

Rule #5: Learn to think outside the box. Be inventive and creative. Be willing to TRY new things and new methods, or invent some of your own.
    While I don't agree with everything Dirk said here, I think some version of Rules 3 and 4 are very important to consider. Not really rules, but certainly a general guideline for expectations.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    ROFLMAO!!! I love it! And I couldn't agree with Kelly more! Somebody has probably posted the "rules" of DIY, but it should include something like these "Five Rules of DIY..."

Rule #1: DIY means Do It Yourself. That means don't go looking to everybody else to the answer to your questions. Figure it out.

Rule #2: In figuring it out, you will have to do a lot of research. It's part of the DIY experience. Just like painting a room in your house, you have to first figure out how much paint to buy, and what kind, and what color, what kind of brushes or rollers, what kind of drop cloths to protect the floor and/or furniture, etc. Sometimes it takes a pencil and paper to do the math. Sometimes it takes multiple trips to multiple stores before you actually get started.

Rule #3: Don't expect that DIY is going to be less expensive. It may be, but then again, it may not be. Just keep your wallet and credit card handy because you'll use them more than once. What you CAN expect is that DIY can be more fun and more fulfilling than hiring a pro to do it for you. With DIY, YOU take ownership of the project. Nobody else. It's YOU.

Rule #4: Expect that DIY is going to take more time than hiring a pro to do it for you. There's a learning curve to every step of the DIY experience. You can't buy it. You have to earn it.

Rule #5: Learn to think outside the box. Be inventive and creative. Be willing to TRY new things and new methods, or invent some of your own.
    Rule 1... You're kidding right? I can remember a time when such words would not have been posted by you, even in jest. :-(

Rule 2 ... Again, where is this coming from from? A lot of folks come here knowing NOTHING about what we do here. They want to make it happen and all are on different learning curves. Again, I remember a time when you felt different. :-(

Rule 3... There is enough stuff here to meet anyone's budget. ;)

Rule 4... OK, I can agree.

Rule 5 ... Some folks just want a display by following the path others have traveled and that is just fine too. ;)

Fact is, there is no Rules per say other than ..... just enjoy yourself. ;)
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    Same here...the Wiki info could use some re-organization and link updates. That is why I documented the REN64 in the same manner that the REN SS series was done in. Now, if you want a "set" system, then these are your best bets. Anything else is going to require some digging.
    I've made the offer to Brian to make the attempt to provide some organization to the wiki. He is considering my offer and put it on his long list of things to deal with. But it isn't high on his priorities compared to figuring out how to get the forum back to normal.

Til then we (as a whole) need to do a better job of gently steering members to the wiki when they ask questions. Instead of just saying check the wiki, how about actually giving the correct link in the wiki (at least until the wiki link comes back to the home page or menu bar).

BTW: For the OP, hope this helps
    http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...s_and_Contacts
    Last edited by RavingLunatic; 01-26-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    RavingLunatic
    Not just a username but a state of mind

Post Thanks / Like

RL,

What sort of things did you have in mind for the wiki?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Adding the Category tags to all the pages so they get organized into appropiate categories. Also have an Index category that would list all the pages. We started using the Categories with the SS series pages and Dirk, Chris and Brian (budude) have tried to also follow suit.

The categories would organize something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RavingLunatic; 01-26-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    RavingLunatic

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. I like the relatively flat structure, as even I sometimes find it tedious to drill through multiple layers to see what I want.

One difficulty, of course, is getting the originators of a design/project to contribute to the wiki. A lot of people seem to have other ways that they prefer to document (pdf files, google, etc), and it will be hard to get them to convert their documents (or their ways of working).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, getting people to actually provide contributions to the wiki is always the hardest part.

Once people know that the Category tags exist, I believe it will make it easier for them to locate info.
    RavingLunatic

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast