Thread: Do It Yourself Christmas User Map

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do It Yourself Christmas User Map

I am new here and believe it is important for our community to have a member map. I understand we had one and no longer do. With this being said Have we looked at batchgeo.com? I understand that this would take some time to get the initial map up and running because it is not "individual user entry" But if we can embed this map onto this site, I would be willing to do the entry part of the map and send it to whoever would need it. Yes that would mean entering thousands of users into excel but I would like to contribute somehow. Members would have to Email me their information.

Even if we could not embed it into the site we could post a link to it somewhere. After the initial build adding addresses I don't think would be that difficult if it were done say once a week or whatever depending on the amount of new addresses needed to be entered.

This also has a locator function so users could enter there location and find the closest ones to them. Plus the fields can be changed to our needs say name, address, type of display, amount of lights, etc.

Again, I would be willing to do all the data entry to make this happen. Please let me know what we think. If this would be a go I would be willing to start asap with the map to get it going as fast as we can.

Here is an Example of 4 locations I put on a map just for show.
    http://www.batchgeo.com/map/8e1d0e92...76a2554e9c9797

PLEASE.. let me know what we think.. I would like to do my part for the Do it Yourself Community.

I don't know if everyone would agree or not but as far as entering the locations I would think we should post that we would do this and have members notify if they want their location on a map instead of using outdated information. This way it would be current to the users and the locations listed would be of those that still have displays.
    "I have to plug ALL of these into what??"

Find us on Facebook

Crab Orchard Christmas

30,000 lights and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do It Yourself Christmas User Map

It would be ok with me, but I would only want give my zip code, not my whole address. I dont want a bunch of junk mail.
    2 (Renard 64) done
    3 (Renard 24 HV) done
    1 (Renard 48) done
    6 (Renard 16 SS) done
    1 (Renard 64) to build
    16 (SSR EZ) to build
    2 (mighty mini)done
    408 channels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caviar View Post
    It would be ok with me, but I would only want give my zip code, not my whole address. I dont want a bunch of junk mail.
    I think part of the point is so people in your area can see your display... never thought of putting my display at the post office though.
    [SIZE="1"](Possibly on hold until Housing matters are taken care of, and extra money appears)
    2011 Plans:
    - 1 x Ren64's
    - 8 X SSRez's
    - 4 x Songs to Sequence
    - 5,000 Lights (LED)
    - First Blinky Blinky Show[/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I have used Intersections and they work just fine. When I tried it first with my address it was not where I was (an issue with all maps and my address thanks to 911 addresses) I entered the intersection and it came in exact.

So intersections will work with this if you don't want your address posted.

I used "Main Street and Holmes, Crab Orchard, NE 68332"

Find us on Facebook

Crab Orchard Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I do not want to discourage anyone. I have no ownership of the data or the concept so feel free to go ahead, but...

As I have posted before, I am currently working on a Generic Site for Light Displays Locations. I posted about it before and have been working on back-end on and off since Christmas. The basic data collection piece will be in place soon and I will be looking for folks to enter their information for testing. You will be welcome to test my Data export piece in order to test the data with any Geo Location tool you wish.

While I appreciate your offer to enter and maintain the data, the solution cannot be based on a single person and certainly cannot be email-based. It just will not work long-term. It has to be an optional thing for users and it has to be done as an online form that users can fill out. Again, please don't take it the wrong. I never want to be negative about anyone offering to help.
    [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]

Heading into my 5th season in 2013

[COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.ChristmasInKentucky.com"]www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in full agreement with you KY. A solution to the problem would be just what you stated, a map that the user themself can enter the information. This would be best for all. By chance what stage are you at and when do you think testing on this will happen? The Geo location was only a suggestion to create a simple "now" map but if your intentions are to have what you said then this map can wait. Your solution is the best for the situation and if it comes down to it and it doesn't happen as planned, then as a quick map we could go with the Geo location.

Find us on Facebook

Crab Orchard Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

There is already a Christmas lights location site that you can maintain your info. No database to be maintained.

www.thedisplayfinder.com

It's not mine, just one that's out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm well aware of it and many others. I don't want to go through the details again, but there's a lot more to mine. Basically, all these sites are single purpose. The idea behind what I'm doing is to collect data in one place, but allow it to be used on more than just my "Light Finder" site. Mobiles Apps, Mobile Websites, Utilities, Club Websites, Contest Management, etc...

The truth is, what I'm doing may actually be out there, but I have looked at nearly 20 sites that have some type of display finder/mapping functionality. They all have some aspects, but none of them do what I have planned.

Right now, its essentially vaporware, so I'm not going to put anyone off on whatever they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivsmaster View Post
    There is already a Christmas lights location site that you can maintain your info. No database to be maintained.

www.thedisplayfinder.com

It's not mine, just one that's out there.
    [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]

[COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.ChristmasInKentucky.com"]www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJZ View Post
    I'm in full agreement with you KY. A solution to the problem would be just what you stated, a map that the user themself can enter the information. This would be best for all. By chance what stage are you at and when do you think testing on this will happen? The Geo location was only a suggestion to create a simple "now" map but if your intentions are to have what you said then this map can wait. Your solution is the best for the situation and if it comes down to it and it doesn't happen as planned, then as a quick map we could go with the Geo location.
    I'll keep in touch with you Dave. When I get a little further along, I'll PM you. You can play around with the XML data. Are you a developer or just knowledable about batchgeo.com? If you are a developer, I'm planning on having a set of Web Services (for lack of a better term) that will provide the data in different ways. You will sign up for an API Key, agree to display the logo and link on your app/site and then you can use all public data and services.
    [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]

Post Thanks / Like

Only knowledgable in BatchGeo.com I wish I had the development skills... would more then likely NOT be doing what I'm currently doing..lol It's always greener on the other side right??? Your plan sounds good, and I agree that there should be more available then whats out there. Keep us posted.

Find us on Facebook

Crab Orchard Christmas