Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting Stars

I saw a video of some shooting stars and thought they looked kind of neat and fairly easy to make. This is what I've come up with so far. I went to my local metal supply shop and picked up some 1/4" round bar hot rolled, it was cheaper. I drew a star on a piece of 3/4" plywood and put screws in each point and inside corner. Got the propane torch out and started heating and bending. You can see the first in the picture together that I tried 2 different start and end points. One has them joined at the point and the other has them joined at the inner curve. I think I like the inner curve join better because then all the points look uniform. Not that you'll be able to see them in the dark anyhow. For the third star I hung the plywood up so I could spin it around instead of me having to spin around the plywood as I bent the steel. I like this way better although I need to make it no spin so easily. I'll probably end up bolting it with 2 washers so I can restrict it's movement a little instead of the free spinner version I have now. Then I took some 18"ish pieces of round bar for the "tails" and put 1/4-20 threads on 1" of it. Got some 1/4-20 splice nuts at the store and I plan on welding the nuts to the stars then just screwing the tails in. It will make for easy breakdown and storage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shooting Stars

Looks Great!!! I like the idea of bending the round bar around screws this technique could be easily adapted to make all sorts of wire frames. Simple, effective, and low cost. My 3 favorite things about any project.

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like

Nice made there, last year I made 24 out of pvc

Here is a picture

http://www.pcjulelys.dk/Uofficel/DSC03488.JPG
    [I]Christmas - Light[/I]

[COLOR="Red"]2011:[/COLOR]
    [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"]6 x Renard 24 DC (My own design)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"]2 x Renard 24 V3.3[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"]2 x Renard 48 LSD[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"]1 x Renard 64[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Red"]100 % led lights[/COLOR]
    Thanks to all there is helping me ;)
    [URL="http://www.pcjulelys.dk"]http://www.pcjulelys.dk[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Great! now I hate mine and love yours.. I'm sure it's just because yours are all lit up. Looks Great.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea and nice result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelmuth View Post
    I saw a video of some shooting stars and thought they looked kind of neat and fairly easy to make. This is what I've come up with so far. I went to my local metal supply shop and picked up some 1/4" round bar hot rolled, it was cheaper. I drew a star on a piece of 3/4" plywood and put screws in each point and inside corner. Got the propane torch out and started heating and bending. You can see the first in the picture together that I tried 2 different start and end points. One has them joined at the point and the other has them joined at the inner curve. I think I like the inner curve join better because then all the points look uniform. Not that you'll be able to see them in the dark anyhow. For the third star I hung the plywood up so I could spin it around instead of me having to spin around the plywood as I bent the steel. I like this way better although I need to make it no spin so easily. I'll probably end up bolting it with 2 washers so I can restrict it's movement a little instead of the free spinner version I have now. Then I took some 18"ish pieces of round bar for the "tails" and put 1/4-20 threads on 1" of it. Got some 1/4-20 splice nuts at the store and I plan on welding the nuts to the stars then just screwing the tails in. It will make for easy breakdown and storage.
    My new favorite neighbor, you have to let me know where you got the steel. I want to build a concentric star for my Mega Tree next year.
    Brian

Help Support Do It Yourself Christmas.com
    For just 6 cents a day you can help someone with their Christmas Light Addiction Problem.
    Click here to Become a Supporting Member and help spread the CLAP!

2019-2020 100 stars all over house, 11 - 2' Star Spinners
    2017 Spinner StarFlakes
    2015 & 2014 More Zwilluminaries™
    2013 Mega Wreath, My cone version of Sam's Zwilluminaries™
    My Light Show Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stars. You could also gt threaded doweling for the tails if you did not have a tap and die set to thread the iron. I plan to make 7 of these stars. They will be hung on 1/8 inch cable. I have found the cable on ebay fairly reasonable.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're great. And vote for inside seams.
    2 Grinchs, 2 Ren C's and a Ren T for 128 channels (in 2008)
    2 Ren64, 2 Ren24, 2 Ren24ss, 4 Ren16ss and 8 Ren8ss for 352 channels (currently)

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the threaded rod, but by the time I'd buy enough for 21 tails I could justify the tap and die set. only 35$ for a 70 piece or something from Harbor Freight. Here's is a completed Star minus lights. I like the result. Not bad for first attempt at welding either. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

They look great. I love Metal Supermarkets, but there are usually cheaper places if you are willing to buy a bundle. I bought some very expensive Stainless Steel rod at MS. They cut it to the exact lengths I needed and I only had to pay to the nearest foot.

By the way, I would suggest keeping the seam on one of the straights. Of course, when you get lights on them, none of them will be noticable.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast