Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dmx pinout - update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dmx pinout - update

I don't have access to the wiki, but I updated the DMX pinout table and thought I would share it. I know I was originally very confused when all the different boards say they send out "DMX".

I hope this helps and if so, feel free to update the WIKI protocol page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael

New for 2013: Add'l Ren4Floods (3); add'l DMX TX/RX; add'l E681; GECE MegaTree; start conversion from RGB incans to LED. PIXELS!!!
    FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GothambeatProductions?fref=ts

Gotham Beat Productions LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dmx pinout - update

Would you like a a wiki account to upload your chart Michael? If so send me a pm and I will make an account for you.

Nice job on the chart!!!
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

2013 stats, if all goes as planned:
    2688 pixels, 4 E68x, 1450 RGB leds, 90 DMX channels

edit: Things are not going as planned

Post Thanks / Like

I've updated it on the wiki, enjoy.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure the JEC pixel pinouts and the Renard pinouts are inverted on this chart...

For a triksc its definitely the wrong way around. Data+ is pin5 Data- is pin 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Timw, I've confirmed all but the REN and PIXEL. The pixel layout was just copied from the original chart on the wiki and I have no experience with it. (Note, I did update the 5pin std to correct the channel 2- pin as well as add the LOR +9V pin)

As to the REN, depending on which board you have the pins are flipped. I'll add a second column for another set of REN boards and footnote which board is in each. I think this is probably the source of much confusion for those trying to learn. Here is an excerpt I found in one of the REN wiki documents:

"This cable will work with Renard16 and Ren-C, but will not work with Renard8 or Renard24, because pins 4 and 5 on the RJ45 are transposed on those two boards. "

also,

"PC to Renard24 LV Cable
    PC DB9 Pin 3 to RJ45-pin 4
    PC DB9 Pin 5 to RJ45-pins 1,2,5 (pins 1 and 5 are required, pin 2 is optional)."

BUT 2 lines later:
    If you are using a RS-232 to RS-485 converter, the pinout is Pin 5 to A+ and Pin 4 to B-. This is the same as for the Ren 16.

It's about as clear as mud. If one of the more seasoned folks would like to jump in and clarify, I'd appreciate it. I think once this chart is complete, it will be very helpful to all.
    Michael

New for 2013: Add'l Ren4Floods (3); add'l DMX TX/RX; add'l E681; GECE MegaTree; start conversion from RGB incans to LED. PIXELS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know for sure Renard (at least Ren24/24LV, RenxxSS and Ren48LSD) and LOR are swapped between Data+ and Data- lines.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I think for most Renard boards its Data+ to pin 5 on the RJ45.

BUT... the wiki... ( source of all truth... and all versions of the truth... ) does suggest that Franks Renard24 is wired the other way.... I think this is the problem because it looks like it changed from Version 2.5 to version 3 by the looks of things...

Yep.. its still confusing even after all this time.... The challenge of DIY I guess!

Going way back in time the JEC pixel pinouts are outlined in the schematic here and here .. although in this crazy RGB pixel world this maybe only of historical relevance !!

I agree michaelc looks like there are a couple of errors in the stuff thats out there... has the source where you got the pixel and Ren pinouts been updated as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Budude,

The LOR info is right out of their DMX Doc.

"Connecting the LOR Unit to the DMX Universe
    Light-O-Rama networks are usually wired using standard CAT5 (CAT5e) patch
    cables. The cables are wired straight through. To connect a LOR Unit to a DMX
    universe you will need an adapter. Most commonly, DMX hardware uses XLR
    connectors.
    LOR / DMX Adapter Pin Connections

RJ-45 Pin => XLR Pin
    4 => 3
    5 => 2
    6 =>1
    A more detailed explanation follows."

see: http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is consistent with what budude is saying... that LOR pinout is the opposite to Renard.

Renard
    RJ-45 Pin => XLR Pin
    5 => 3 Data+
    4 => 2 Data-
    1 =>1 Gnd

Post Thanks / Like

And having wired up some Renard and LOR controllers in the same "cabinet" for the 2010 display, I can confirm that Pins 4 and 5 are definitely opposite between those boards as far as D+ and D-.
    Mark
    Kernersville, NC
    On the move to another location sometime soon. Probably no display this year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast