Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    7,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    I need to make this post because of something that has been brought to my attention. Many folks ask me what programmer to purchase and I always point them to this one It is a great deal with a ZIF socket.

    I recommend this one simply because of the 20 pin socket. It allows for many more PICs to be utilized than does the 14 pin socket. What I was unaware of, is in the instructions, it does not list the 16F688 as a "Group" that can be programmed with it. This is NOT the case.
    The instructions show the 16F688 PIC as "Group C" and uses the 14 pin socket. If you set up the 20 pin socket for "Group G" and have the PIC inserted at the top of the socket, then the pin configuration matches "Group C".
    I hope this helps anyone I have made this recommendation to.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    2,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 Starter Kit

    I can confirm that setting up the ICSP20A as "Group G" will work to program a PIC16F688 perfectly. I verified this running Windows in a VirtualBox VM (Ubuntu 10.10 host) no less!

    Thanks for the help Wayne! Time to play with the multimeter for an hour or two, and hope I can run a blink test in the next day or two on my (first) Renard SS24!
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    I need to make this post because of something that has been brought to my attention. Many folks ask me what programmer to purchase and I always point them to this one It is a great deal with a ZIF socket.

    I recommend this one simply because of the 20 pin socket. It allows for many more PICs to be utilized than does the 14 pin socket. What I was unaware of, is in the instructions, it does not list the 16F688 as a "Group" that can be programmed with it. This is NOT the case.
    The instructions show the 16F688 PIC as "Group C" and uses the 14 pin socket. If you set up the 20 pin socket for "Group G" and have the PIC inserted at the top of the socket, then the pin configuration matches "Group C".
    I hope this helps anyone I have made this recommendation to.
    Wayne I bought this as suggested from ebay you suggest setting up for group G how do you set it up and what signifies top of socket? I get the following message.

    Programming Target (1/5/2011 11:09:49 PM)
    PKWarn0003: Unexpected device ID: Please verify that a PIC16F688 is correctly installed in the application. (Expected ID = 0x1180, ID Read = 0x3F80)
    Erasing Target
    Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0xF3)
    Verifying Program Memory (0x0 - 0xF3)
    PK2Error0027: Failed verify (Address = 0x0 - Expected Value 0x0 - Value Read 0x17E0)
    PICkit 2 Ready
    Last edited by Tallahassee Dreamer; 01-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    IF YOU LIGHT IT THEY WILL COME!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell, KY (Cincinnati Area)
    Posts
    3,923
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    What a nice package Ed has put together here. Great Price and he is very reliable. Hasn't posted here in a while, but let's hope it's becasue his business is picking up or he's enjoying the warm sun some where.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    7,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    Did you follow the setup of the PicKit2 (install OS)?

    Just make sure pin 1 of the PIC is in pin 1 of the socket. Top left pin to top left hole (slot), looking at the socket with the lever at the top left.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    I know this is an old thread but my problem relates to the programmer mentioned in the op.

    I decided it was time to buy a pic programmer so I came across this thread and decided to follow Wayne's advice and order the pic programmer mentioned from Joshua Systems off of ebay. It arrived today and I had problems with the installation of the mplabs ide software saying there was a corrupt file. I followed Wayne's wiki post and found the link to their website and downloaded the latest version. Everything there is good. I have two questions...

    1. I have no mpaswin software anywhere on my computer. Where do I get that so I can get started?
    2. I don't understand the jumpers on the board, am I to place those on all the "G" pins?

    Thank you!

    Add: I did find mpasm on their website. When I try to run it, it says it's not compatible with my version on windows. What do I need for Windows 7 64bit?
    Last edited by Javo; 10-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    7,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Javo View Post
    I know this is an old thread but my problem relates to the programmer mentioned in the op.

    I decided it was time to buy a pic programmer so I came across this thread and decided to follow Wayne's advice and order the pic programmer mentioned from Joshua Systems off of ebay. It arrived today and I had problems with the installation of the mplabs ide software saying there was a corrupt file. I followed Wayne's wiki post and found the link to their website and downloaded the latest version. Everything there is good. I have two questions...

    1. I have no mpaswin software anywhere on my computer. Where do I get that so I can get started?
    2. I don't understand the jumpers on the board, am I to place those on all the "G" pins?

    Thank you!
    Go into your program list and look under "Microchip" >MPLAB IDE >MPASMWIN

    Yes, the G or C whichever matches the board you bought, just check the documentation to the board. I think it is on his website.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    I checked that... there are three items in that folder:
    1. pickit2 v 2.60
    2. mplab c32
    3. mplab ide v8.92

    Maybe I don't understand the process but is there somewhere I can download the hex file directly without the need for conversion?

    I did try downloading the mpasm software from their site but it won't run on my windows version - Windows 7 64bit. Is there another program I can use?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    Wayne,

    Thanks for the help. I think I finally have it all up and working now. Just programmed my fourth pic! I'm going to finish this set and exchange them with a board already up and running to make sure I did it right.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    7,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: PicKit 2 recommendation issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Javo View Post
    I checked that... there are three items in that folder:
    1. pickit2 v 2.60
    2. mplab c32
    3. mplab ide v8.92

    Maybe I don't understand the process but is there somewhere I can download the hex file directly without the need for conversion?

    I did try downloading the mpasm software from their site but it won't run on my windows version - Windows 7 64bit. Is there another program I can use?
    It is in that folder.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •