Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started - A newbs christmas dream for 2008

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a cheap on/off controller to start with, go for a Grinch, 64 channels, basic board with minimal parts and easy to put together.

Pm, Wjohn, he can help out with the ssr boards and a Grinch.

Kev
    Kevin Lang

64 Channel Olsen 595 64 Channel Grinch 4 Xmus Ren16's

Running Acer P4 3.0 GHz and 1.00GB Ram Win XP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wanyne for the tester idea, but for now I may make start off with the Grinch and leave the tester for phase 2. (by the way watched the video and it looks very handy) For now I think I'm gonna get the stuff rounded up to do a Grinch board and start working on the ssr's. 2 projects would be a good start to get into this and then I can move on to bigger and better things after I get that comfort level.

Now another question. If I have a grinch board, and a renard 64, would I be able to link them together to get 64 dimmable and 64 non dimmable channels later if I wanted to? not a big deal just wondering.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimr625
    Now another question. If I have a grinch board, and a renard 64, would I be able to link them together to get 64 dimmable and 64 non dimmable channels later if I wanted to? not a big deal just wondering.

Thanks,
    Yes... the grinch will run off the parallel port and the Renard from a serial port. A lot of us have the same setup. ;)
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klanger
    If you want a cheap on/off controller to start with, go for a Grinch, 64 channels, basic board with minimal parts and easy to put together.

Pm, Wjohn, he can help out with the ssr boards and a Grinch.

Kev
    Another board John has is a Ren-c which is an add on board before the grinch which enables it to dimm.
    Kevin Lang

64 Channel Olsen 595 64 Channel Grinch 4 Xmus Ren16's

Running Acer P4 3.0 GHz and 1.00GB Ram Win XP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J
    I was just thinking of the same thing... A list of the basic tools needed for this hobby. A multi meter should be on that list also. ;)
    Yeah yeah yeah :?
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I have ordered the Grinch Board and 16 SSR boards. Now out to the store to buy some of the tools listed above (All I have from that list right now is the multimeter ). Then I just need to buy all of the parts and start with the fun part - assembly. Wish me luck, and thanks again for the warm welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys.

Like I said I am VERY Inexperienced and think I may try something as I go through this process. A lot of you guys talk in a language that is almost foreign to me (not in this thread, but in many of the others). I see you referring to parts and I have no clue what they do or how they work in conjunction to the other parts in the controller. Several times I have found myself looking on the web for the simplest things like what is a triac, how do you solder properly, what is the direction current should flow through a resistor, etc…

I may try to put together a dummies guide to putting these things together. Please don't take this as an insult but for those of us that have little experience the lack of pictures and terms that some are unfamiliar with may be intimidating a certain group that visits here. I know I was pretty intimidated at first but finally said to myself “hey I won’t learn if I don’t jump in with both feet and try it”. Sine I know I am a LONG way from being able to contribute to this group with suggestions, I am going to try in my own way to contribute by explaining this learning and building process in terms that even I understand. With my lack of experience I may have to dumb it down enough that almost anyone can go through this process (that is assuming I can figure it out as well . Hopefully I am able to put together guides simple enough for anyone to follow with pictures and laymen’s style instruction.

I know I am going to ask a lot of question in this process, so I will try to do something to return the favor.

Please let me know your thoughts because I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes here or waste anyone’s tie including my own.

Thanks,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12